Windows 7 Way Smarter With Graphics RAM

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
This article notes the huge RAM usage improvement, but what about shifting GDI from CPU to GPU. It only got a short mention, but I can imagine this should also lead to less work for the CPU and even better utilization of the GPU. Granted, this improvement is probably not all that noticable, but it is interesting to point out.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]harshahorizon[/nom]thank god.pc gamers finally got a solution for this terrible headache[/citation]
Why am I having dejavu over answering this exact statement on the last article. This does NOT affect games. Games are in full screen 3D mode. This is talking about windowed 2D mode (GDI)

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]kato128[/nom]Actually that is old RAM and besides, don't you realise that 2GB ram isn't enough these days? You aren't even in the enthusiast space without having at least 4GB and crying not enough memory is a cop out because the ram you have can be gotten in 8gb quantities for less than $120 USD. RAM has been a quantity over quality product since ddr2 was introduced.[/citation]

Its actualy always been that way.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
You Pc's owners need a reality check, Imac's run so much smoother and trouble free it's not even close. I have owned several Pc's over the years with Win98, XP, Vista and they all had various problems. Everything from
viruses to driver issues and difficulty finding new device's. All that crazyiness is long gone now that i am a Imac owner, i wil never go back to Pc's even at gun point, i'd rather die.

kidamnesiac

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]You Pc's owners need a reality check, Imac's run so much smoother and trouble free it's not even close. I have owned several Pc's over the years with Win98, XP, Vista and they all had various problems. Everything fromviruses to driver issues and difficulty finding new device's. All that crazyiness is long gone now that i am a Imac owner, i wil never go back to Pc's even at gun point, i'd rather die.[/citation]

What flavor is the Kool-Aid? Grape?

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Many people game in windowed mode. Eve-Online (which gets heavy advertisement here) has support programs that can run concurrently. The VATSIM community routinely has their Flight Management System software of choice open and running while they fly their virtual commercial routes. Sure, they could alt-tab between full-screen versions of each program, but with the real estate available on todays monitors, why deal with the pause while everything is switched out? It was those sorts of "gamers" I was thinking of when I posed my original question.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
That image in the news is odd! it appears to use 40mb memory for one window. But with the formular stated in the same image, that'd mean a 10Mpixel image. Nobody has that high a screen resolution! My 22" runs at 1680x1050 (like most), which is only a tad over 1.7Mpixel - about 7MB per visible window. However, if we look at 50 windows it's about 340MB - less than 7MB each. And 1280x1024 - which (probably) nobody uses on a mashine powering windows 7 is less than 6MB each...
So I guess there must be some base usage + window content.

Oh well. Suppose it all helps, but making the extra copy go away in direct3d would make a bigger impact.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]That image in the news is odd! it appears to use 40mb memory for one window. But with the formular stated in the same image, that'd mean a 10Mpixel image. Nobody has that high a screen resolution! My 22" runs at 1680x1050 (like most), which is only a tad over 1.7Mpixel - about 7MB per visible window. However, if we look at 50 windows it's about 340MB - less than 7MB each. And 1280x1024 - which (probably) nobody uses on a mashine powering windows 7 is less than 6MB each...So I guess there must be some base usage + window content.Oh well. Suppose it all helps, but making the extra copy go away in direct3d would make a bigger impact.[/citation]

.....I

Images of these windows isn't saved in RAM.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom].....I......Images of these windows isn't saved in RAM.[/citation]
Ehh, I don't think you understood what I meant!
Anyway, it doesn't change what I wrote really. Read it again, see if you can figure out what I mean. Shouldn't be too hard really.

G

i use vista64 , i hav a ate hd4850 512mb , it doesnt matter if i have less or more memory on that graphics card. if the game needs 2 gig it wil have it, i have 6399MB of graphics memory wich 5887 are shared with my 12gig ddr3 triple channel cl6 1600 running at1066 . its how fast the gpu and the memory is wat makes games go smoother. i7 1366 socket is a blast and is much faster then my gpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.