Windows 7 windows Explorer.exe keeps restarting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYHarris

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Why Microsoft company can not do something about this issue and many people using windows are have serious trouble with this madness. Could they recommend or provide a software to take care of this problem. I am have the same problem and sometime I want to throw my computer away.

calm down, its ok you broke explorer.exe, we can help.

click start
in the run box type
CMD
and hit enter
type
SFC /SCANNOW
and hit enter. windows will run a system file check and repair files not in the original state.
check back when you have done that

LOL @ randini and nameless.

The first rule of Tomshardware is: Get a good antivirus

The second rule of tomshardware is: Do not use broken software.

The third rule of tomshardware is: Do not randomly click on "Yes" if your surfing the internet and random pages pop up saying you need to download their amazing antivirus because it will fix you up and your dog.

The fourth rule = dont mess with Chainzsaw =-)

SYHarris

Honorable
May 16, 2012

I have done the sfc/scannow, which took about 30 mins. but the problem still persist.
I receive this message: "windows resource protection did find any integrity violations."

Adriel_555

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Do you have an Autodesk program installed on the PC? If that is the case, try to unistall Autodesk 360 from the control panel. As a matter of instability of the same program installed on some versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8, ends up causing problems with explorer.exe, the most common is the constant restarting of the latter.

Padrig

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

Men your awesome thnx

sreejithk

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Hai,

I Had the same issue, i have checked all the posts & answers from varies sites but no one was helped. i have turned on the updates i have up to dated with all the updates after that the issue has been solved since 36 hours the machine not crashed in single time also.
please try let me know the result

Thx
SK

Amani_

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Hotemsg=14823778,0,1847053]

Hai,

I Had the same issue, i have checked all the posts & answers from varies sites but no one was helped. i have turned on the updates i have up to dated with all the updates after that the issue has been solved since 36 hours the machine not crashed in single time also.
please try let me know the result

Thx
SK[/quotemsg]

excuse me I don't understand what to do and what you meant I'm having THE same problem but I don't understand your solution please help help!!!

Richard_8

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Wasted time but fixed explorer crashing on Windows 7 x64 laptop, purchased with one key factory reset. Did not have an install disk.

Two week research for fix to Windows 7 64bit with explorer continually crashing.
This was even happening in SAFE MODE for me.
I would get the message windows\system32\bthprops.cpl is damaged or unable to run.
I’m required to click OK to continue.
Then once I login it will shortly get the message explorer is ending…….. searching for FIX……
----explorer restarting…… and the cycle continues with explorer is ending…. Etc.

You can end this by CTRL + ALT + DELETE and choose Start Task Manager.
Click on the Processes tab (near the top) and find explorer.exe from the display.
Click on explorer.exe (will color the line to show it has been selected) and then click End Process
(you may have to do this a 2nd time depending on the cycle of explorer.exe crashing.)

What you can do now is click on FILE (upper top left side of Task Manager )
And click on New Task (run…) you can browse and successfully run your web browser from here.
( not everything will run this way. Because of my problem, they may crash and end.)
What I did was:
Key in “control panel” and click OK you can run setting changes. I was able to run and create a disk image backup to an attached external disk drive with this method. For me it was part of my discovered method in safe guarding this long time consuming process of repairing my Laptop computer.
I did not want to do a factory reset and rebuild all my applications and see if could recovery most of my data from backups.

Before this I had tried several tips from searches on the internet like deleting old apps that I was no longer using. But, my issue was in the system. The 64bit hardware running windows 7 was rejecting 32 bit applications and crashing explorer.

My advice is based on this You Tube video:
Repair install to fix windows 7 without reformatting by Britec

I needed any install disks for windows 7. ( My disk for upgrading Vista to windows 7 32 bit will assist )
I needed to make an image backup. ( even though I knew I would not use it once I was successful.)
I needed the CD Key nnxxx-xnxxx-xxxxx-xnxnn-xxxxx for my Laptop install of windows 7 64bit.
This is important and I had to download the free version of “Magic Jelly Bean KeyFinder” and install it so I could double check that I knew the laptop’s CD Key.
Was a long running task and involved an automatic reboot. Appeared to remove many of the separate updates. Surprisingly, the crashing of explorer.exe also went away at this point. So I created a restore point at this time. Before attempting the “UPDATE INSTALL” portion of Instruction from the video.

That step was done using the borrowed CD. I had to leave the processing running over night.
( 6 + hours)

When I resumed there was a Microsoft update that needed a retry.
However, research indicated that I needed to download and run:
Windows 7 System Readiness Tool.
(this was a 10-15 minute run and it gave me a successful retry on the KB947821-V34-x64 service pack which was also a long run.)

I checked for more windows update through control panel.
Created a new restore point.
Reviewed my applications and data files to see that I indeed had a successful repair of my system.

Time for a new and important disk image backup.
Also cleanup some documents that I no longer needed or wanted.
Create another restore point and then
Did the new disk image.

Note: I though I was done, however the next day, windows update had 136 updates for me.
And one more after that with the reboot.

Happy to be at this point finally.

Sorry for the level of instructions. They are not detailed exact step by step. They are for those who need the concept and are able to apply it to their needed knowledge.

Richard

Patonymous

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
I have a surprisingly simple solution that worked for me after everything else got me nowhere. I'd uninstalled some windows updates to try to isolate which might have caused corruption to one system file showing up in sfcdetails - without creating a restore point (stupid), not to mention the corrupt file was part of a service I have disabled anyway! Long story short - after uninstalling the updates, upon next reboot, whether normal or safe, cleanboot or not, and after numerous sfc /scannows and chkdsks from safemode command prompt and F8-system restore, explorer would crash (or restart after closing the error window, faulting ntdll.dll btw), nonstop. And task mgr was a glimmer of hope until I found that even though I'd found out how to get Windows Updates - the install would hang, eventually timing out with the error 80243004: basicly telling me that without the little update icon showing in the TASKBAR (which inconveniently needed explorer to work), I was not getting my updates/ back to normal. So....

I'd decided the only option left was an OS reinstall/ uggh. UNTIL - and here's the alt solution that in my case turned out to be the FIX:
Boot up NORMAL to the OS login screen (in my case Win7 x64) BUT DO NOT LOG IN YET - instead WAIT FOR A WHILE, 20-30+ minutes (my screen had already powered off so it was at least 15 minutes in my case). I logged in after giving it some time, and lo, all my startup apps inc A/V zipped through bootup and I was just thinking 'any second' ....but no error, so I downloaded the windows updates and restarted and have been back to normal (without waiting to login either) since!

I literally tried everything down the checklist. Must have been some program on a DELAYED START that explorer.exe needed to have going well before it started in order to be stable. Weird!

Cool if this works for somebody else, but the takeaway moral is MAKE A RESTORE POINT BEFORE UNINSTALLING UPDATES! Wish I had :)

Veronica_3

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015

I tried this and it says "you must be an admin running a console session in order to use the sfc utility" this is my laptop and i am the admin...

NOT_PROVIDED_572

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

I did something kind of similar to this. When my computer was bugging out and my windows explorer started to crash on me, i opened up the task manager and ended all of the processes that were using up a lot of cpu until my overall cpu hit 1 and even 0, this made sure that only basic programs were running in the backgound. Then I logged out of my session, and logged back in. All of the necessary files booted back up, and the ones that were causing problems before stayed inactive. My explorer hasn't crashed since.
Although, I don't know much about computers, and richard did a lot of technical stuff. I kept getting messages when ending the processes that I could be risking sytem unstability, but if you're system is already unstable, why care?

I know powerarchiver can crash it.

It used to in the previous versions, and it still does with V16 the latest version.

Even tho they deny it.

It's the only time explorer.exe crashed on this (Win 10 when it's installed).

Previously it was caused because of the entries it added to the right mouse / the context menu. But even if I disabled them it still crashed.

Codecs (dodgy ones) used to cause it too. It can also be caused by programs that add something to the right mouse menu , that aren't compatible

berrygracie

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Hi really appreciate this thread but how if it keeps saying im not admin.

click start
in the run box type
CMD
and hit enter
type
SFC /SCANNOW
and hit enter. windows will run a system file check and repair files not in the original state.
check back when you have done that[/quotemsg]

joiseyg

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

You have to run as admin. What happens when the command prompt crashes when you try to run as admin? Explorer crashes again :(

acl

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007

Right click on desktop and create a shortcut
type in cmd
click next then finish
right click on shortcut on the desktop
select 'run as administrator'
then use sfc /scannow command

habdab

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
To use cmd as ADMIN

click start
type CMD into the SEARCH PROGRAMS AND FILES box, then at the top of the results list locate cmd,
right click cmd and click RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.
A USER ACCOUNT CONTROL box will pop up, click YES, Then the command consul will open. You are now running the command consul as admin at an elevated level.
Now type SFC /SCANNOW
Hit enter. Be patient, Windows will run a system file check. If it finds a problem it might fix it if you're lucky.
If it doesn't, you can always run your recovery System image disk that you created when you first got Windows running properly, then you can restore your system back to a nice shiny new one.
You did create the system, image disk didn't you?

cazzasguy

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
Follow the original instructions but don't hit enter after you type CMD. Windows will briefly search your computer for any file or folder containing those letters. At the top of the search, a Program called cmd.exe appears. Just right click on that, select 'Run as administrator' and you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.