Windows 7 without usb or network drivers!

M1GD

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
So I just got done installing Windows 7 on my computer. After a long process of creating a bootable usb on Ubuntu, I was glad it finally worked. However once I finally got to the 6, I realized that none of my drivers were installed... both network and usb. So now I have a working computer with no access to the internet, and no option of putting network drivers on it through usb. The only option I can think of us somehow adding the network drivers to the windows installation and redoing the installation. I have a Flex 3-1580 Laptop (Lenovo), and Windows 7 Ultimate. Said laptop also does not have a cd drive. I will be going to a friend's tomorrow to hopefully salvage the situation. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
If you have any manner of getting the install media to boot from BIOS (Ie: Usb... win7, 10, etc, doesn't matter), you can (probably) use the command tools (repair your computer) to copy files, and the windows install media supports USB without additional drivers. You can use that to copy them onto your hard drive.

If you need a explorer interface, go into the install and on drive partition select you can't find the drive, it'll let you pick drivers.... but conveniently also implements copy and paste.

To put files on the USB for drivers, you could use an OTG adapter if your phone supports it. Alternatively you can put the files on MicroSD, put this in your computer's SD slot, and it should show as a drive in these options I've discussed.

M1GD

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015

USB doesn't work unfortunately since those drivers aren't there/ working either. Thanks for the suggestion though!

What I use at work when this crops up:

DVD. That is a base driver with the OS. If you need to, see if a friend can lend you a desktop - you can hook up your HDD with their SATA to get the files copied over.

Get the network driver, the USB drivers will come on their own - or rather, you can get them naturally.

M1GD

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015

I'm actually in school over seas at the moment, and don't have access to any desktops, otherwise that seems like a great option. Although I'll see if I can find someone with a desktop that they would let me use to do that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Sometimes a USB port on the left/right side of laptops get recognized while the ones in the back do not (for whatever reason, happened to me as well)

I had a drivers issue when i installed Windows 7 to my laptop as well and my work around was to plug my phone into the side of my laptop (not the back because for whatever reason it didnt work) and turned on internet tethering on my phone. Essentially turned my phone into it's own WIFI adapter so i could access the internet on my laptop, then installed what i needed.

Only other suggestion is to burn a disc with all the drivers you may need and install them that way. Goodluck.

If you have any manner of getting the install media to boot from BIOS (Ie: Usb... win7, 10, etc, doesn't matter), you can (probably) use the command tools (repair your computer) to copy files, and the windows install media supports USB without additional drivers. You can use that to copy them onto your hard drive.

If you need a explorer interface, go into the install and on drive partition select you can't find the drive, it'll let you pick drivers.... but conveniently also implements copy and paste.

To put files on the USB for drivers, you could use an OTG adapter if your phone supports it. Alternatively you can put the files on MicroSD, put this in your computer's SD slot, and it should show as a drive in these options I've discussed.

Solution