Windows 7 wont boot after installation of new RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth reborn

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hi,

Recently i decided to stick some extra RAM in my old computer as 2GB didn't seem like enough. After removing the 2x 1gb sticks and putting in everything (2x 2gb and 2x 1gb) when i got to windows boot up screen it took a while to load, and then froze. I played around with the RAM, tried only one of the 2gb in all 4 DDR2 slots and it booted perfectly, i did the same with other 2gb stick and same result so it isnt the RAM, and neither does it seem its the slots. Did the same thing with the 1gb and fine. tried every permutations involving the 4 sticks but whenever i top 2gb windows freezes.

I read around first and looked at similar problems people have had on this, and so i cleared the CMOS and updated the BIOS but still the same result (didn't do all permutations this time).

Here is the specs for everything:

Mobo- P5N32 SLI SE DELUX http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5N32SLI_SE_Deluxe/
RAM- Corsair 2GB 800 DDR2 and Corsair 1GB 667 DDR2

Relevant Info from CPU-Z:

Memory

DRR2

DRAM Frequency:400mhz
FSB:RAM: 2.3
CL: 5
Trcd:5
TRP:18
TRC:22

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
A shot in the dark.
If able to get into Bios check that there is not any setting that can limit amount of Ram that the board will accept.
As said it is a very long shot but worth a check as may be hidden away in some unusual menu.

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
To clarify, whenever your combination of ram exceeds 2gb, your system freezes?

Have you run memtest86 with all four sticks of ram inserted?

There may be incompatibilities between the ram since they are from different kits, but that may not explain the issue if it happens with both of the 2gb sticks inserted together.

seth reborn

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I haven't run memtest, but yes it only happens if when both sticks are in together. I do get to the bios screen and I looked at the info to see if there was a problem there and the only unusual thing was that it gave a different usable memory value each time i loaded with 4gb, between 2.8 and 3.3 gb.

The operating system is a 64bit version of windows 7 so as far as I understand it should recognize all 4gb?

Oh and sorry, after loading with 4gb total is freezes but only at the windows load screen.

curiousclive

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
When you put two 2GB sticks in do you put them into slots with same colour such as slot 1 & 3 as the board is dual channel supported and each colour denotes the channels used for this.
Also the 1GB memory chips are not the same speed which can cause problems . (2GB = 800mhz 1GB = 667Mz). I would suggest only fitting the two 2gb sticks in slots 1 & 3 OR 2 & 4.

fantomdark

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Different speeds / frequencies sometimes causes problems. Depending on the motherboard two things can happen,
1. The high frequency RAM slows down to match the slowest stick or
2. The modules will not be acceptable by your board together and it will declare memory failure

seth reborn

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I Tried the similar coloured channels (in my case black and yellow) with only 2gb sticks but to no avail :/ still no windows boot. both channels worked with the 1gb sticks though.

@Fantomdark: If it is number one can i play with the setting to account for different speeds, and for number two is there anyway i can tell that this is the problem? And if it is, is there anyway around it?

Also, is it possible that this is a power supply problem? Seems a bit extreme for something like RAM, but at this stage im keeping my mind open

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
You never mix memory speeds. First of all the problem could be voltage of the mixed sticks. The second is 800Mhz and 667 Mhz will cause the clock rate of the 800Mhz memory to lower its speed down to 667Mhz.
But your main problem has to do with the memory timing, once that gets so out of sync it will cause crashes and all sorts of problems.
You could try to lower manualy the 800Mhz memory down to 667Mhz in the bios to keep it stable. As you may be pushing the 667Mhz memory too much. By looking at it your bios is trying to run the 667Mhz memory at a 400 Fsb so it would be ddr2 memory where as it should be set manualy to 333Mhz bus speed.

seth reborn

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I just updated it to the 0901 version of the american megatrends inc. , from the 0204 version.

The memory isn't on the QVL that i could see (corsair 2048mb), but neither is the one i had running previous to this and it worked fine. Although i'm starting to think it might be wishful thinking on my part that this isn't the problem, i really don't want to have bought these only to find out they would never work...

If it was would there be anyway around it?

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Have you tried lowering the FSB speed of the memory to 333Mhz from 400Mhz. If not do so. Are you also running a 64 bit version of windows BTW.
Is the cpu a dual core or a single core? a 32bit os will only be able to use 3.25GB of Memory of address, and will not see anything above it. So you would need to install a 64 bit os to get the use out of the 6Gb of memory anyway.

curiousclive

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
A shot in the dark.
If able to get into Bios check that there is not any setting that can limit amount of Ram that the board will accept.
As said it is a very long shot but worth a check as may be hidden away in some unusual menu.

Solution

seth reborn

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I havent tried to lower to 333mhz, will do that now. The os of windows is 64 bit (windows 7 professional 64bit) but there is a chance that the version i got...might not give me the benefits of this. Under the "general" from my computer it still says 64bit os so it should?i hope...

I looked at the mobo and couldn't find the button. Thanks anyway curiosclive :), will look now for the settings in the bios, hopefully you're right. Would love to solve this problem.

Thanks for the help guys/girls!

seth reborn

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Went playing around with the bios setting curiousclive, which usually im very very unhappy about doing; ive absolutely no confidence in my ability to actually do something that doesnt break my computer...but having said that i enabled something called...memory remap funtion? or MR device? I cant remember exactly. In any case it seems to have acknowledged the extra RAM!

On a side note, i also managed to tell my bios to never show itself on loading- it goes straight to loading windows now. Does anyone know how to undo this without killing the settings ive just done?

And again, thanks everyone for the advice. Brilliant site, and people.

The option in the bios may be called quick boot or fast boot.

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Some of the older Asus motherboards don't work right with all ram slots filled; I wasted time and money RMA'ing one twice to be told it was fine...they knew of the issue but didn't bother to point it out; I havn't bought Asus since.

seth reborn

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
@ hawkeye, i think it might've been a one of, it hasnt done it since the reboot.

@jldevoy, yeah I am looking at replacing my entire comp piece by piece (starting with RAM... ) so ive been looking around at Mobo's to replace this one and A LOT of people on the review of asus mobo's say the same as you. Buy one asus board and never buy another one. Im included.
It might also explain why when i put the other 2x 1gb in the remaining slots it didnt boot. From what you guys have been saying it could a lot of other stuff though. 4gb's will do me fine for now.

Thanks everyone!

curiousclive

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I have always had Asus Mobos and have never had any issues with them at all.
The only time I used another make I had all sorts of compatibility problems and had to send it back.

seth reborn

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I fully admit i might be jumping on the "asus is crap" bandwagon after reading reviews about my mobo and was a bit pissed about wasting a day trying to sort out memory, in all fairness apart from the memory issues and some wierd crashes at the beginning of its use, its been relatively good.

It's really that the OS has to be reloaded. It configures the hardware.

pc god

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
hi all the thing youve to remeber is that ram doesnt have to paired up anymore that was years ago with simm ram little 2mb sticks which hurt ya hands putting in and out different ram speeds these arnt usually much of a problem as the computer will just lower them to the same speed however some manufacturers have taken to making ram compatibly with certain machines you buy a new acer machine pull out the ram you may have a problem putting it in another machine that either has a different manufactured motherboard for example acer machine use foxconn boards put that ram in another foxconn board it will run thats just an example folks its usually better to buy some good quality ram like corsair vengence ddr 3 4gb sticks 1600mhz rather than kingston low volt ddr3 1333 4gb these two rams will perform the same way however the latter wont work in all mbs so ram then just buy what the mb manufacturer recommends and you wont go wrong its a crime to try and build a gaming pc and put in cheap ram you wont do yourself your board or your gaming experience any favours the windows 7 error your having is a badmemory pool error which is why the windows 7 wont work long before your os is on the hdd its decompressed into the ram then installed from the virtual drive which is created its called a ram drive once this is active using this ram drive and the cd/dvd rom it installs windows then runs from you hdd with the rest of the componets doing the job a bad memory pool error is what causes it to crash however because windows xp 32bit is installed from the cd straight to the hdd with no ram drive it doesnt matter what ram you have it will always work end of story but windows 7 needs a least a modereratley working ram to support its large ram drive as does windows 8 the moral of the story here is go a get yourself some decent ram that works well and not to settle for second best when buying 2gb is adequate to do all those everday tasks only gaming needs more thats all folks have fun with ya pc building

Status
Not open for further replies.