Windows 7 won't boot, hits BSOD and restarts.

Iropan

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I've spent the last two days reading threads on anything remotely connected to my problem but i can't fix it, i'm really hoping someone here can help me...I run Windows 7 64bit.

The other day the computer shut down on it's own. I turned it back on, Windows wouldn't load, it entered a loop of about 2 or 3 reboots and finally it loaded Windows 7. I thought it was just a big hiccup, and after a while i got a prompt to install some updates for Windows, some of which required a restart. After that restart the PC never booted Windows again. It took me to Startup Repair, where it couldn't fix the problem. In the log i could see "boot critical file D:\ ci.dll is corrupt".
Since then i've installed Windows on another HD i had, and i have accessed the problematic one connecting it as an external HD. This has allowed to scan it with several antivirus and antimalware programs; TDSSKiller found "Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.TDL4" and eliminated it. Malwarebytes found the following: "e:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Temp\rasdialb.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully."
This however hasn't fixed the problem. Startup repair will tell me the computer cannot be fixed automatically, and if i use a recovery disk, Startup repair will tell me it can't find a problem. System restore will tell me there are no restore points (and it lists my HD as being in unit D:, when i'm positive my drive's unit is C: ).
I've gone to the command prompt and tried the following:
-Chkdsk --> Found no problems
-sfc /scannow --> It doesn't run, says "system repair pending, please restart" (i've restarted a million times and it still won't run).
-bootrec.exe /fixmbr --> Completed successfully.
-bootrec.exe /fixboot --> Completed succesfully.
The problem has remained unchanged, when i try to load Windows i get the Windows logo while it's loading, then a BSOD for a few tenths of a second (too fast to read, but something about drivers) and it restarts.
I don't know what else to do, i can only do a repair install from within Windows, so i guess that's not an option.
I've also read that this virus infects the boot sector, so formatting wouldn't help.
And i'm out of ideas, i've run Startup Repair more than 20 times now, the reference to ci.dll is gone, but the problem stays the same. I'm really hoping someone can help me!

And this is an Asus motherboard?
List your hardware configuration.

Using several free downloaded security programs will only cause problems. This is probably where the problem started. Should have used real security.

Insert the win 7 disk into the drive, and select: "upgrade"
This reloads the OS without erasing your personal files.

Using a second computer, backup ALL your personal files from the damaged drive.
DO THIS FIRST before trying any repairs.

Reformat the drive, after you have backed up all your files. Do a fresh install of the OS, replace your files from the backup.

Use a professional all in one security system, not a free download. Never load stuff into your computer which claims it will fix speed up or repair your computer. The factory install disk is really the only safe method.

Iropan

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
It is an ASUS motherboard, how did you know that??
Asus M4A87TD/USB3
AMD Phenom II X4 955
MSI Nvidia GTX 460 (Talon Attack)
RAM 8 GB DDR3 1600 Corsair
PSU Corsair TX 650
HD Samsung F3 1TB

Free downloaded security programs have come after the problem. Before the big crash, i had a 2 month trial of Norton that came with the motherboard's drivers. In fact, at the time of the crash the trial had been expired for 24 hours.

I tried to do a repair (upgrade) install using the same disc i installed Windows 7 for, but it tells me they are incompatible versions (no idea how that's possible, in case it matters i did not install SP1).

I downloaded a recovery disk for Windows 7 64 bit, and it does work, it goes past the point where my installation disc would give the incompatibility error, and when i order the upgrade install it loads a bunch of files and tells me to restart. And since i can't really restart because Windows won't load at all, i take it the repair install option is unviable.

Most quality security / AV / Malware programs have a fully functional trial period. Zone Alarm Internet Security and Bit-Defender are the two I most often use when fixing other's puters.

I'd suggest using the alternate boot to grab ya files off the HD, then format it and reinstall.

i7ftw

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
mine did a wacky thing when i had a bad ram stick, I was running 2x4 gig and it would boot but when i touched any program or opened it would blue screen, especially any windows update or loading game etc. I ran it with one stick everything was great, shutdown and booted with the other and blue screen from the start. just a easy thing to check...hope this helps

This was on windows 7 64

Why dont you do a test to see if it is the case of a bad driver causing the BSOD.
Have you tried to see if windows 7 loads ok in safe mode ?

Tap F8 on a reboot, then load in safe mode that should tell you if it is a driver related problem causing the BSOD.
The other post is also right about BSOD it can be a sign of bad memory.
The only last thing is a faulty sector on the HD where the file got corrupted.
But if chkdsk or scandisk came back ok i doubt it.

Oh and about the drive letters, it is more than likely if you used another hd, with windows 7 it has been assigned the letter D:
as you cannot have two drives with C:

To change the drive letter once your in windows 7 you need to go to computer management, then disk management.
right click on the drive in question, then change drive letter, apply.

If you have two drive letters the same for two HDD`s then one will not show in windows, when you click on computer in the menu.
So be careful.

Iropan

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I might just do a format and fresh install, but i'd like to know if that will wipe out the chance of malware remaining in the disk, from what i've read, there's a chance it stays in the MBR.
It shouldn't be a problem with the RAM, the computer has been running like that for 3 or 4 months with no serious problems (an ocassional crash, but hey, it's Windows). Besides i switched the hard drives, i'm using every other piece of hardware in the PC right now and it works.
And im having some doubts wether i might have been wrong when i said safe mode is inaccessible...I tap F8 and it takes me to a screen where you adjust what device will the computer boot with. Have i been tapping F8 to soon?? I've tried and tried, but that screen is all i can get...

You have a bad motherboard. In order to avoid going crazy and pulling your hair out, replace the board.
I highly (IMHO) recommend you exchange it for another manufacturer's motherboard. I highly recommend you change to an intel or gigabyte board.

This advice provided by a former Asus customer.

"It is an ASUS motherboard, how did you know that??"

I'm psychic.
No, actually the symptoms are very familiar, and I think that if you exchange and switch manufacturers, you will be using your computer all the time, instead of trying to repair it all the time.

Iropan

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I'll keep it in mind for the next rig, maybe i'll go with Gigabyte, i hear good stuff about them. In all fairness to ASUS though, i'm pretty sure this particular malfunction was not the motherboard's fault.

sauvesean

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
You really need to get it to boot into Safe Mode before trying anything else. You WERE pressing the F8 key to soon. If you need to, press F8, choose your boot device, then afterwards press F8 again. You need to press it at the end of the POST runtime, but before the Windows splash screen appears.

When you are in safe mode, run msconfig.exe. Disable all non-microsoft services, and all startup items. Restart and try booting into normal mode. If it boots then we have a lead, but not a solution.... you have to figure out which service or startup item is causing this problem. My first instinct needs me to Norton, so try re-enabling all services except the Norton ones first. Basically, use the process of elimination by using safe mode to turn on services one by one, then restarting into normal mode.

Iropan

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Good to know about safe mode, that might have saved me some trouble... I recently got help to fix the problem, some code had to be rewritten to fix the damage the virus had done, and it's working normally now. Thx to all for your help!

You are describing the classic symptoms of a defective chipset. Replace the board (manufacturer) and the problem will be solved.
try installing a fan right over the top of the north bridge...
Oh, I forgot to tell you, go into the bios setup, and shut off cool and quiet. Install two sticks of RAM in the sockets closest to the CPU. Then it will crash LESS.