Windows 7: You Can Disable Every Major Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
"Microsoft noted that due to all the anti-trust dealings, user feedback, and browser-OS integration controversies, it has decided to allow users to turn off almost everything, except he core OS itself."

but is the one feature we want to disable! ;-)

G

"the disabling feature will only be available after installation is complete."
What about OEM installations? Can for example DELL simply replace IE with Firefox or is this "only after installation" requirement there to insure something like that could not happen.

Hothr

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Thank you for letting me turn off Media Player and Internet Explorer. I'll keep solitaire and minesweeper.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Ok. So I guess it's a move in the right direction. But the point I think MS is missing out on is not only do we not want all that crap running... we don't want it eating up Gbs of space on our hard drives. Maybe Windows 8 will finally let you pick during install. One can always hope.

On second thought... since MS loves to have 30 different SKUs... why not just a another one where it lets you pick what you want during install. :D

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
This is good to keep the EU out of its hair, but is it enough....

I am still in the camp that Microsoft should sell Windows as a barebone OS with no additional components at the standard $199.99 price point.

Then force customers to purchase add-on packs for all other features that were available in earlier releases of Windows.

EXAMPLE:

Internet/Media Pack (IE8, WMP, Games, etc)
Security Pack (AntiVirus, Spyware, Firewall, etc)
Home Entertainment Pack (Windows Media Center, etc)

The features and list could go on and on...

This should be put up or shut up time for the consumers to let them know that world governments are controling what you are able to have on your computer.

Hell, just for S/G, Microsoft should make their own Linux Platform.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
[citation][nom]68vistacruiser[/nom]I pulled windows 7 after seeing all my apps fail to run. Good luck selling this one, Microsoft.[/citation]

I have no idea what you are using sir, but i am running 7 x64 as the main OS on two machines ans 32 on my macbook. all run everything fine, including Games.

the only program i found that doesn't run is Daemon tools.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]68vistacruiser[/nom]I pulled windows 7 after seeing all my apps fail to run. Good luck selling this one, Microsoft.[/citation]

I think what you meant to say was, "I have never tried Windows 7 but I don't like Microsoft so I hope it fails."

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Windows 7 works awesome. I have the 7022 build and the only problem I've had is that IE8 locks up and requires a task manager shutdown. Really annoying...considering a absolutely hate firefox.

G

If I could turn off the DRM, this might make me actually use windows 7. Oh, that's not an option? Nothing to see here, move along back to your Linux system. Windows 7, 25% less pig, 50% more lipstick.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]jeverson[/nom]Ok. So I guess it's a move in the right direction. But the point I think MS is missing out on is not only do we not want all that crap running... we don't want it eating up Gbs of space on our hard drives. Maybe Windows 8 will finally let you pick during install. One can always hope.On second thought... since MS loves to have 30 different SKUs... why not just a another one where it lets you pick what you want during install.[/citation]

LOL please you tool. "Eating up GBs of space on our hard drives"? Give me a break. If your hard drive is that small then you should seriously question your hardware or choice of OS to begin with. MS is smart by making the installation easy and quick and keeping files around so you dont have to have the installation disk when adding features you removed. People like you are not happy no matter what the situation is. Your goal in life it to b!tch and moan no matter what. Sad just sad.

hop

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]LOL please you tool. "Eating up GBs of space on our hard drives"? Give me a break. If your hard drive is that small then you should seriously question your hardware or choice of OS to begin with. MS is smart by making the installation easy and quick and keeping files around so you dont have to have the installation disk when adding features you removed. People like you are not happy no matter what the situation is. Your goal in life it to b!tch and moan no matter what. Sad just sad.[/citation]

Agree, with the age of terabyte hdd, giving 10 gig to the OS is not a big deal. Heck give 100 gig to the OS is not a big deal. :)

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I wonder how many people who post here really read the articles first or if they just see 'Microsoft' and 'Windows' and out comes the hatred and made up nonsense just to seem cool.

M$ is not talking about removing the programs entirely, they are talking about disabling them. "This means the files (binaries and data) are not loaded by the operating system (for security-conscious customers) and not available to users on the computer. These same files are staged so that the features can easily be added back to the running OS without additional media." Are you mentally retarded or do you simple have so much blinding hatred that you refuse to accept what they tell you?

I personally would disable DVD Maker, I used to use WMP all the time before Winamp but I would keep it just incase. IE is helpful for my bank's website, it doesn't like me using Opera and Firefox is just a joke these days, I refuse to use it.

All in all a good PR move my M$ and saves me having to delete shortcuts or set default programs for certain file extensions. Well played Bill, well played

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Freaking awesome. I really hate using some of those programs or being forced to have them. Goodbye UAC, Security Center, IE8, Windows Media Player, and Solitaire.

phil0083

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Shadow, since it's an option offered by the OS itself and NOT some 3rd party program then I'm pretty sure they've managed to get it to work, seeing as they made it and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.