Windows 7's XP Mode Hits Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Thats nice that they are including what is essentially windows xp bundled into 7, but it seems like it would be nuisance and a pain to have to switch to xp mode just to get something running. It would be nice if they would just automatically have compatibility built in. But then again, if its too old to run on windows 7 its probably about time to upgrade that piece of software.

how would it be a nuisance? the only time you would have to launch windows XP VM would be to install the program. after that you don't even have to go into the xp VM. all you have to do is go into windows 7 start menu and launch the program from there.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
this is for all the local govt and insurance agencies and other companies that use custom coded software that runs just right under XP but craps out under Vista... most of the software can't be upgraded to work with Vista in a cost effective manner because so many ppl in the local govt sect and the such do things to protect their jobs and make things difficult to move on without their help. having worked in this hell for several years, this kind of thing will be nice when they finally force us to buy new PCs with vista or 7 only.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I still have yet to find a program I use that doesn't work in Vista. I got the XP Mode program but don't see any use for it so far.

G

Even though I have access to Win7, I still run my laptop on XP.
Despite the looks, I prefer XP over Win7 Beta. Never tried the RC, because by the time I wanted to download the RC,news came of it only to work for 2 hours and then reboot, in a couple of months.
I didn't want to waste a DVD to that, so I never downloaded it.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
i agree with ya ProDigit80... i personally can't stand the changes they've made visually to the UI... i will be sticking with XP64 till the bitter end...

good luck with that. wait till half the programs you use stop supporting XP. it happened to windows 2000

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
i can't see that happening for many many years... the way things are progressing... it's not like we even have decent multithreading support as it is and how long have multicore processors been around?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]i agree with ya ProDigit80... i personally can't stand the changes they've made visually to the UI... i will be sticking with XP64 till the bitter end...[/citation]

What if you die tomorrow?

I think the button artwork itself is a bit "whatever" on Vista/7. The button shapes and glow effects are nice. It doesn't take much to get used to the start menu. The new taskbar is very nice and gestures are nice. of course MS still includes Classic/Win98 look... but won't include the XP look?!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
BTW: Why is the WinXP mode running MS-office 2003?

MS-Office 97, 2000 run fine under Windows7. Only Outlook97/98 barfs with Windows7.

Business use some custom software that may not run properly under Win7 - thats why its included with PRO / Ultimate and not Home.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Even though I have access to Win7, I still run my laptop on XP.Despite the looks, I prefer XP over Win7 Beta. Never tried the RC, because by the time I wanted to download the RC,news came of it only to work for 2 hours and then reboot, in a couple of months.I didn't want to waste a DVD to that, so I never downloaded it.[/citation]

Ever heard of re-writable DVD's?

As has been stated, the XP-VM's main purpose is to allow companies and organizations (private and otherwise) which use proprietary software that won't run within Win7/Vista environment to use their software within a, dare I say it, more advanced, secure, and modern OS.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Is this virtual PC similar to VM ware? Such as the virtual PC is in it's own world and has no relation to the host files.
Or is this more tightly integrated with the host OS?

Just want to know, if I get a virus in Virtual PC, it can spread to the rest of the Windows 7 (unlike VM ware).

I'm also guessing, if the Virtual PC is more tightly integrated, performance should also be a lot faster.

virtual pc and vmware are the same. the virtual machines are contained in one file on the host so if you get a virus it will not affect the host computer. but if it is a virus that can attack the whole network then it will try to infect the host too.

Lexie

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Very interesting. So is it correct that you only have to run the Windows XP compatibility to install the program & from then on in it will run as normal? If I get Windows 7 on these new pc's I buy I will need to run AutoCAD 2006, Myob Premier 12.5, Adobe CS4 Suite & Office 2003. I'm very paranoid that these won't work. Really can't afford the extra cost of getting the latest programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.