Windows 8.1 100% Disk Usage Problem

catmandoza

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Hi there,

Recently refreshed my windows 8 laptop as it was full to the brim of useless stuff.

After refresh decided to do a clean update to 8.1, so now I have a nice clean laptop with nothing else installed apart from the fact it runs slower than anything. Hours and hours of searching bought me to the 100% Disk usage problem.

I have found other topics on this website with various fixes, none of which have worked for me :(

Updated drivers - nope
disabled various background processes - nope
troubleshooting windows update etc - nope

all I want is my laptop back to a useable standard.

Cheers in advance

Solution
Hi there catmandoza,

You need to disable several Windows Services like: Windows Search, BITS and Superfetch. Keep in mind that you need to disable them and after that click on apply. ;) Some users miss that.

In case the issue persists, you need to test your HDD with some HDD testing tool. The results should provide a S.M.A.R.T. report which will show the overall health status of the drive. In case there is something wrong with it, you need to back up the data stored on it as soon as possible.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Reyaz123

Admirable
I posted this in another thread. Did you try these?

1.Make sure you don't have any viruses, run a full virus scan in safe mode with networking.
2.Run a program like ccleaner to fix registry errors and clean your temporary internet folder
3.Run a full disk defragmentation tool, like the one for Windows, I'd prefer using defraggler. (If you are using a SSD, don't defragment it)
4. Run msconfig, and go to the startup tab. Disable startup programs that you don't use.
5. Go to the services tab in msconfig. Check the box "Hide all microsoft services" select the services you know about and don't use for sure, disable them as well.
6. Reboot

Follow these steps, and it should solve your slow pc issues.

Hi there catmandoza,

You need to disable several Windows Services like: Windows Search, BITS and Superfetch. Keep in mind that you need to disable them and after that click on apply. ;) Some users miss that.

In case the issue persists, you need to test your HDD with some HDD testing tool. The results should provide a S.M.A.R.T. report which will show the overall health status of the drive. In case there is something wrong with it, you need to back up the data stored on it as soon as possible.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution

hariomahlawat

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
I have been using Windows 8 since its launch and I also came across the same issue.
Point is how did I resolved the issue ?

Windows8 automatically manages virtual memory and paging file size by default.
It doesn't sets virtual memory as per the internal recommendation. The virtual memory set by default is approximately 70% of the recommendation. E.g. For my laptop, it recommends 2003MB of virtual memory wherein each drive size is of 100GB & RAM is 3GB. By default it got set to 1403MB when Windows8 was installed.

You need to increase this virtual memory. Make it equivalent to your RAM size for the initial size and twice of the initial size in maximum size and make sure you have the same amount of free space in your hard drive in each drive.

To do this, follow the following steps:
1. Go to Control Panel> All control panel items > System
2. Click on Advanced system settings
3. Under performance, click on settings
4. Go to Advanced tab
5. Under Virtual memory, click on Change
6. UN-check "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box
7. Select your windows drive (where OS is installed)
8. Click on Custom size radio button
9. Set Initial size equivalent to your RAM size in MB
10. Set Maximum size to twice of your RAM size in MB
11. Click on Set
12. Click on OK thrice
13. Restart your system

This should resolve this issue,

Regards,
Hariom Ahlawat

obuck

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
For those with a Lenovo laptop the fix appears to be as easy as this:

- run > msconfig > services > uncheck "ccsdk" > OK

After hours of looking at this the above seems to have totally solved my excessive memory and disk usage problems..