Windows 8.1 Adoption Rate Gaining Steadily

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

I'm fairly confident that many people wouldn't buy a system that has 8 on it if they had an option to have a different operating system, such as 7. In a desktop environment, I absolutely hate windows 8, regardless of its "desktop" mode, it is still pointless for me to have to use the "metro" screen on a desktop. They take something that they established over 15 years ago, throw it away, and try to get everyone else to use it... all the while with no way of reverting back to a "classic" mode that one could use, like for those of us who hated the graphics of XP's task bar/windows.

Windows 8... it may be ok for tablets. But even in a tablet environment, I hate it too. I don't want windows 8... on anything. Nor do I want windows "8.1", on anything.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I have been the loudest naysayer and complainer about Windows 8. I even tried the free trial of 8.1 a few months ago and in 20 minutes I restored my Windows 7 image with frustration and glee. But yesterday I decided to be a little more objective and give Windows 8.1 another try.

This may sound strange and discouraging but Windows 8.1 is mostly Win 7 with a Surface tablet acting almost as a skin. AKA Metro. Windows 8.1 can be configured to boot directly to the desktop and yes the 8.1 desktop is a bit different from the 7 desktop but not by much. If you hit your Windows key you instantly switch back and forth between the desktop and Metro. So you can leave those tiles running and updating for instant info and launch one for more details. The weather and sports apps contain a good deal of information when launched. You can fine tune them both to your tastes.

Here's the deal: on a PC Metro behaves like a heads up display. It's like owning a tablet. You can browse apps through Windows store, install, and customize the apps, such as sports and weather and as a live tile they keep themselves updated through the cloud. The same can be done for Facebook, calendars, email, financial ticklers, more. Anything that's available from Windows marketplace as an "app" works on Metro.

In addition to that Win 8 boots faster. Its search feature is far more robust and easy to use. It supports multiple monitors much better. The delta of change is minimal but the benefits are well worth it.

I'm a guy that becomes impatient when I cannot quickly achieve instant results. If you are like me I'd say try Windows 8.1 and give it 30 minutes to an hour. for me I'm never going back to Windows 7 again.

p.s. apologies to all the Windows 8.1 people that I felt at the time were being pretentious.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I have been the loudest naysayer and complainer about Windows 8. I even tried the free trial of 8.1 a few months ago and in 20 minutes I restored my Windows 7 image with frustration and glee. But yesterday I decided to be a little more objective and give Windows 8.1 another try.

This may sound strange and discouraging but Windows 8.1 is mostly Win 7 with a Surface tablet acting almost as a skin. AKA Metro. Windows 8.1 can be configured to boot directly to the desktop and yes the 8.1 desktop is a bit different from the 7 desktop but not by much. If you hit your Windows key you instantly switch back and forth between the desktop and Metro. So you can leave those tiles running and updating for instant info and launch one for more details. The weather and sports apps contain a good deal of information when launched. You can fine tune them both to your tastes.

Here's the deal: on a PC Metro behaves like a heads up display. It's like owning a tablet. You can browse apps through Windows store, install, and customize the apps, such as sports and weather and as a live tile they keep themselves updated through the cloud. The same can be done for Facebook, calendars, email, financial ticklers, more. Anything that's available from Windows marketplace as an "app" works on Metro.

In addition to that Win 8 boots faster. Its search feature is far more robust and easy to use. It supports multiple monitors much better. The delta of change is minimal but the benefits are well worth it.

I'm a guy that becomes impatient when I cannot quickly achieve instant results. If you are like me I'd say try Windows 8.1 and give it 30 minutes to an hour. for me I'm never going back to Windows 7 again.

p.s. apologies to all the Windows 8.1 people that I felt at the time were being pretentious.

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

An open mind is all that it takes; kudos for taking another stab it.

Astrophysics

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I am an IT consultant, and I would like to point out a few things i see people saying in these comments, and comments on other threads about windows 8/etc...

1. "XP being full of holes is a lie!" Ok, that is wrong. Really wrong. Please believe me when I say that WinXP is Swiss cheese compared to Win7 or Win8 from a security and dependability stand point. Why do you think that the BotNet's are all made up primarily of XP machines? People, please get rid of WinXP.

2. "Microsoft did this JUST to piss of mouse and keyboard users!!!" - Come again? Yes, clearly you are correct. All companies that are as successful as MS usually try and piss off their client bases. It has nothing to do at all with them trying to morph one of their mainstay products into a more future-proof solution. Nothing at all.....

3. "I love my iPad, no one cares about Windows." - Please try to understand; if you have this opinion, you are not the target market. The iOS devices were always intended to be marketed to people who are NOT tech savy/comfortable. There are lots of people who like windows. Sorry about the facts getting in the way of your "truth".

4. "Who cares about Windows, Linux is moe betta" - Ok, while this may be true for some applications, this is blatently false for others. For the average user, linux is still far too clunky and requires too much knowledge about the platform from the user. I like linux and have it on some machines, but it will remain a niche OS in the PC market due to lack of interest in development by large corporations.

But please, don't let a general lack of knowledge about a topic stop anyone from commenting, lol.....

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

A lot of what you are saying is true. However, I disagree when anyone says Linux is less user friendly than Windows because they have obviously not tried Ubuntu or Elementary OS recently. You don't even have to touch the terminal to use them effectively. All software and drivers are either downloaded and installed for you, or you select them from a list in the software center. Both of these operating systems are much easier to use than Windows 8 for non tech savvy users on the desktop. They are faster, more secure, require no antivirus, and don't require much maintenance. The only thing holding Linux back is the Windows monopoly as the only advantage Windows has is its application library (primarily Office).

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
AFAIK.... Win7 downgrade rights are only for the PRO version. Win8Pro > Win7Pro. That is a no brainer.
But for consumers... who know little to nothing about installing an OS, etc... they are screwed.

danerda

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
hi,trekker9876 is correct, a senior lady friend of mine rang me to help her with a new laptop that she had been given, i proceeded to check it out and to my horror it had windows 8 on it, i wrestled with it all day and i told my friend that i was sorry but i found it very challenging, wished her all the best and left. i started in computers with windows 98, i am currently dual booting with xp and ubuntu 13.04, i can honestly say that installing ubuntu was a breeze, i keep xp for specific apps and use ubuntu for internet etc, there is no way in hell that i would move to windows 8.and no its not because i am scared of change its because windows 8 is very user unfriendly, i installed ubuntu,set it all up and running in less than 2hours and within 1 hour i had the gist of it, thats what i call user friendly.

bee144

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

Lol XP? Dude go back to 2001. It's clear you are very much afraid of change. And you're in denial about that.

danerda

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
well b144, you obviosly didnt read my post properly, i actualy started in computers using and programing AMIGA computers ( i doubt that you have heard of AMIGA ) i then CHANGED to windows 98 which was user friendly, i then CHANGED AGAIN to windows xp because it also is user friendly, i then CHANGED to UBUNTU because it also is user friendly. on my count that is three changes, not bad for someone who is AFRAID of change DUDE, what i am saying DUDE is that windows 8 is NOT user frendly and i will not change to windows 8 BECAUSE i find ubuntu far easier to use DUDE.i suspect you are a msft troll.

bee144

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

lol exactly. You're an old fart who is stuck in the the 2000's. Go back to your AMIGA, step out of the way, and let the rest of the world advance.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

And you're advocating for Windows? How ironic. Linux is the future and Microsoft is the past.

danerda

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

danerda

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

danerda

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
gee b144, whats with the abusive language, did i hit a nerve?did you read my post?i am currently using UBUNTU 13.04, which is years ahead of ANY windows distibution, actualy JD88 hit the nail on the head, get with linux or get left behind, and by the way my reference to AMIGA was merely used to point out to you that i have been involved with computers probably longer than your existance on this earth, the other clue is your lack of respect for the older generation which is indicated by your language which i will not stoop down to you,i still think you are a microsoft troll DUDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.