Windows 8.1 and an ancient GPU

melampo_

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I'm trying to get an AMD Radeon HD 3450 to work under Windows 8.1. Even if It seems like AMD dropped the support the so-called legacy GPUs, I found out that it is possibile to install a modded driver, but I really don't know how to find it nor how to recognize it.
Can somebody help me?

Solution
Have you tried just installing the driver and not the full Catalyst suite? If not, you manually select the driver from the AMD folder (see below).

Click on the “Start” button, type “device manager” in the search field and click “device manager” from the search results
Expand “Display Adapters”, right-click on the AMD Radeon™ entry and then select “Update Driver Software"
Select the “Browse my computer for driver software” option.
Click “Browse” and navigate to C:\AMD\Support\[Catalyst™ version]\ and click “OK”. Note: This folder is usually extracted by default to C:\AMD\Support in the initial running of the AMD Catalyst™ software suite
Click on “Next” to install the driver software and restart the computer after...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you tried just installing the driver and not the full Catalyst suite? If not, you manually select the driver from the AMD folder (see below).

Click on the “Start” button, type “device manager” in the search field and click “device manager” from the search results
Expand “Display Adapters”, right-click on the AMD Radeon™ entry and then select “Update Driver Software"
Select the “Browse my computer for driver software” option.
Click “Browse” and navigate to C:\AMD\Support\[Catalyst™ version]\ and click “OK”. Note: This folder is usually extracted by default to C:\AMD\Support in the initial running of the AMD Catalyst™ software suite
Click on “Next” to install the driver software and restart the computer after completing the driver software update

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGraphicsSoftwareandDriversFAQ.aspx#1

Solution

melampo_

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

It works! Thanks a lot!