Windows 8.1 apps are not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErraticFox

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
I'm running Windows 8.1 and apps are not working. They were perfectly fine this morning, then later today, every one of them, except like two that I know of, IE and the Store. Other than that, music, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, etc. they're not working.

I've refreshed my Windows 8, didn't fix it. I've also done sfc /scannow and it found nothing wrong. Why is this happening?

Solution
I was facing the same issue and none of the solutions seemed to work.

Then I tried this:

1) Go to program files (make sure "show hidden folders and files is on")
2) Right click on windowsapps and go to properties-> security tab->advanced
3)Click on continue to view the permissions of object
4) For the owner it will show TrustedInstaller, click on change
5) A new window will open->select object types->select groups and then click on ok.
6)In the space below "Enter the object Name", type ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
7) Next press ok, it will take some time for the owner to change.
8) Last step is to restart your system.

After bootup the apps should work.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Thanks,

silentplanner

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013

check your system for viruses..

ErraticFox

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
Do you have this problem? If so I found out how to fix it (or at least what was wrong with mine).

Make sure you have "Show hidden files and folders" on
Navigate to C:\Program Files\
Right-click on WindowsApps
Navigate to the 'Security' tab
Click the group "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES"
Make sure 'Full Control' for 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' is checked. If not, check it (turn it on).

That should fix the problem.

rmf304

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

I can't seem to get my Windows 8.1 to allow me to change the permissions. I'm signed in as administrator and everything but it won't work.

iluvhardware

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
For anyone else with this, the solution was that the Temporary Internet Files folder was wrong in Internet Explorer. Run IE, go into Internet Options, click Settings in Browsing History section, click Move Folder and set to something valid like "c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows".

CzechTroller

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

New update for windows 8.1 fixed all the problems for me.

imranaap

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014

Check this link, it has the solution to your problem

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ouc1too/archive/2013/10/19/windows-app-store-doesn-t-load-after-8-1-upgrade.aspx

Freesnacher

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
That didn't help me, it only worked on Windows store, however even with the windows store, if i were to delete some of my apps and re install i cant, because the store says i already have it installed even tho i have already deleted it thousands of seconds ago.
:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

willianma

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

Try typing "uninstall apps to free up disk space" in the search box..
remove the faulty apps.. restart windows.. go to windows store/myapps and in "not yet installed" select the apps again to install (try installing one by one.. it might have viruses inside the apps also)

if it works, please share your success with people here so they can be helped also. If it doesn't, also share..

AdventurousGhost

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
The problem is with the folder of windowsapp, The security setting has somehow changed and TrustedInstaller doesn't have sufficient access.
Right click on windowsapp folder (inside program files, if you can't find it go to option and change the setting to view hidden files and folders, just to be sure uncheck the use sharing wizard too.) click on properties, choose security tap, then choose advanced, you can either change the owner to TrustedIsntaller and let it take control of all files and folders and subfolders with inheritance option checked or you can just add TrustedInstaller with the same principle and full control access to users that have access.

joeseattle

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Like many others, or so it looks, none of the options above works. Having been OK for over a month, now most of my Metro Apps crash as soon as I click the icon. (The only ones that still work are those not going online, such as Camera, Calculator and Help; of those using the internet, only Store works).

Changing permissions as described above is tricky: it needs explorer.exe to be launched As Administrator. Anyway, even with all those Full Control permissions, the problem PERSISTS as before.

I am writing this using the "Windows 7 desktop" interface, and starting Chrome as a common Windows 7 application in my Asus T100, but its Metro UI with its apps (which includes many games, Skype et.al) is now useless.

barrytmeda

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
1. Right-click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray.
2. Click on the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu.
3. Check "No proxy" from Proxy settings: under Proxies tap.

blakckack

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
I had the same issue and I read the forums, tried everything: sfc /scannow , AppsDiagnostic.diagcab, WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab, all kinds of diagnostics (and I found out that my 8.1 is OK) but not tried reinstalling the apps gone crazy what finally helped

joeseattle

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks barrytmeda.

In the meantime I have now tried everything that is on the web, including Microsoft suggestions, EXCEPT reinstalling Windows 8.1, which I will NOT do in a brand new PC just for the sake of the few Metro apps I need (I just installed "normal" Skype: one less to worry about!).

As for your new suggestion, being a Windows OS and PC technician with decades of good reputation and experience, I do not know what the "system tray" is. ( I know the right-hand "charms" of Windows 8. which produce nothing when right-clicked, and the "taskbar tray" as in old Windows 7). I try but cannot find anything like a "dropbox" or "gear" icon is (no Dropbox is installed in this Asus T100).

Will be thankful for further clarification!

joeseattle

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Tried with the new "Proxy" suggestion. I entered into the "Search" charm "Proxy settings": there were a few results, all of them linking to the same "Network" screen with a "Proxy" section. The only "proxy" thing there is a "Manual Proxy Setup": it has always been OFF.

steveinnice

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013
None of my Store apps would run, just flicking back to the Start screen. A System Restore fixed it for me. I don't know why things had gone wrong - maybe running Glary Utilities to clear clutter from my PC did something. But now I've restored to the last restore point, all the apps are fine.

thetech101

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014

hers what i figured out, make a restore drive/ usb drive on a nother computer with windows 8.1 then plug into laptop and boot from it and reset :)
i could be wrong, tell me if i am

l0s3r8443

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014

hi..i got same problem after doing disk clean up on boot drive c ..and now i can't open store or news..also i can't see windows apps folder in c > program files..what should i do now..??

Ashu_2326

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
I was facing the same issue and none of the solutions seemed to work.

Then I tried this:

1) Go to program files (make sure "show hidden folders and files is on")
2) Right click on windowsapps and go to properties-> security tab->advanced
3)Click on continue to view the permissions of object
4) For the owner it will show TrustedInstaller, click on change
5) A new window will open->select object types->select groups and then click on ok.
6)In the space below "Enter the object Name", type ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
7) Next press ok, it will take some time for the owner to change.
8) Last step is to restart your system.

After bootup the apps should work.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Thanks,

Solution

bl5965

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

It worked! I signed up just to let you know, and thank you.

edbar44

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

This didn't work for me, I'm really beside myself on this one. I cloned my HDD to an SSD and everything worked except the apps. When I booted the system off the new drive I got some kind of message that I was on a guest account with a very basic windows setup and many icons on a foreign looking desktop, message said that it would be deleted when I restarted. I was quite skeptical and ready to reinstall the old HDD but when I restarted everything was like it used to be except for the apps.

fapkonijntje

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
For those of you that still haven't found a fix, try this: start system, login. Try an app, it won't work. Logout (not shutdown, logout) again, then log your user in again (don't reboot!), see if that helps. If it does you have a common bug that's caused by Microsoft. Unfortunately you will have to wait for them with for a fix, but at least you have a workaround.

This is a bug I've encountered EVERYWHERE since halfway this month on Windows 8.1. Annoying me a lot.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

The relogin fixed the problem with using the apps for me , but they still have no icon in the task bar, this happened when i reinstalled my windows because i`ve changed my CPU and MB. in the past i didn`t have this issue.

LE: i found the fix for the icons also :http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

download the app on this page and it will fix your problems.

bandavet

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

That worked here... So, let's wait for the fix :(

Status
Not open for further replies.