Windows 8.1 Causing BSOD When Creating Ramdisk

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

S Brideau

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Guess these are more clues as to why my Asus G53SW-A1 laptop can't upgrade to 8.1 from 8.. I'll try the Rapid Storage Driver approach when I get home and see if it works at solving this error. Either this or it's the fact that I have a SSD in there. Then again Asus doesn't provide Win 8 drivers for this semi-recent laptop (2 years old).

My company had a MS rep change over a year ago the old rep was great. The new rep promised us even better service and said if we need anything to just email him. I've sent him numerous emails with questions and he never responds. I guess that is what MS considers "even better service".

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

As a happy Surface RT owner, I can understand this being relatively low priority. Surface tablets compose a tiny, tiny portion of the tablet market and as such they actually receive a disproportionately large amount of media. And heck, aren't we - well, someone, not me - still waiting for Tom's iPad Air review? And this with the iPad being about fifty times more of a big deal in tablets than the Surface line of products?

Disclaimer: you couldn't pay me to trade a Windows tablet - Pro or RT - for an iPad... But the market does not reflect my preferences.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
@ninjawithagun do some research the whole problem has do with hardware not drivers so if you don't have this hardware you won't have a problem.
It boils down to if your motherboard can support CMPXCHG16b support in the 64-bit version. CMPXCHG16b allows for atomic memory exchanges.
While modern 64-bit processors support CMPXCHG16b, some older hardware does not but the requirement wasn’t a must-have for the 64-bit version of Windows 8. Trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1 on newly non-compatible hardware results in a message that your “CPU does not support CompareExchange 128.”

People with Nforce chipsets are also effected as well this was verified by Microsoft seems 8.1 update does not support older hardware by design bad move on microsoft's part as i see this type of hardware in my shop on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS