Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro as OS?

Ivan_Drago27

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I looked around quite a bit to find an answer on this, but had little/no luck. I found one old forum that had a few people debating in it, but no straight answer.

My question is this: I am building a new rig and need an OS. I can either spend 70-100$ to get a copy of Windows 7 or Windows 10 or I can download Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro for free as I am a student.

The purpose of my build is gaming, and will later be used for school work when I am back in school in the fall. Once I'm in school I can get Windows 10 Student for free through my school ,so I could always upgrade to that in September. But I can't wait 2 months to do that, so will Windows 8.1 Embedded work as a OS? I'll pretty much only be doing web-surfing, watching youtube/movies, gaming and some music stuff - then like I said, in Sept. I can get Windows 10. Will that work? Or am I better off spending the money to get a Windows 7/10 disk/.iso?

Solution
Yes it will work, mostly. There will probably be a bit of weirdness.

You'll have to do a full wipe and reinstall when you get your actual OS. There is no up, down, or side grade.

The free Upgrade to Win 10 is not applicable for that OS, and it ends on July 29. So if you eventually want Win 10, you'll have to buy it.
Now, or later.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes it will work, mostly. There will probably be a bit of weirdness.

You'll have to do a full wipe and reinstall when you get your actual OS. There is no up, down, or side grade.

The free Upgrade to Win 10 is not applicable for that OS, and it ends on July 29. So if you eventually want Win 10, you'll have to buy it.
Now, or later.

Solution

Nat_5_

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
My main system (Core i3, 4GB DDR3, Arock motherboard, delta electronics psu, WD blue 320GB HDD) is running Windows embedded 8.1, and I have had no problems with regular productivity applications like Microsoft Office. I also tried Minecraft, and it did work ok. I don't play games at all, but for regular school work and so on, it has been fine and I have had no problems.
You could install 8.1 embedded, and test it, and then if it doesn't work for you, just re-format the drive and install something else. Good Luck!