Windows 8.1 Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration, or the default gateway is unreachable

Tim Masters

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
So after I moved my setup to the other side of my room I either get the error "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration, or the default gateway is unreachable. If I am on auto it gives my the IP error, but if I manually set my IP and gateway it gives the unreachable gateway error. The setup is the same other than using a different cable to connect, which I have tested and it is not the problem. Any help?

Solution
Ok, so you tested running a cable directly to the router across the middle of the room to verify connectivity?
Are plugging into a wall socket RJ45 that then goes through the attic to a socket next to the router?
If that is the case then the routing of that cable needs to be checked as well a the wiring in the wall socket.
Usually if the LEDs are lit that means there is a proper connection as far as wiring but interference can still degrade the data.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Most likely a cable problem. If the only change is the cable that is where the problem is. If the cable checks out then the routing of the cable could be a problem so test by running the cable away from any other electrical devices like florescent lights or fans or parallel to power cords.
Are the LEDs lit on the router/hub and next to the PC Ethernet connector?

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Ok, so you tested running a cable directly to the router across the middle of the room to verify connectivity?
Are plugging into a wall socket RJ45 that then goes through the attic to a socket next to the router?
If that is the case then the routing of that cable needs to be checked as well a the wiring in the wall socket.
Usually if the LEDs are lit that means there is a proper connection as far as wiring but interference can still degrade the data.

Solution

Tim Masters

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
i dont have a cable long enough to run directly to my router, but I ordered one and is expected to be here tomorrow, I am plugging in to a wall socket I am sure it is the cord now because I tested with my laptop and it had the same error, so I will look tomorrow.