Windows 8.1 Preview Users Need to Update Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
@drwho1
it is stupid to stay and live in the past, you should probably stay on XP or consult a doctor.
Windows 8 (and 8.1) is far better (performance wise) and smoother than 7, I have yet to find something bounds me to stay with 7

Shneiky

Distinguished
Better interface = faster performance from the human end = higher productivity

so

Windows 7 > Windows 8

It is not living in the past, it is denying to pay for a sh*tty product that takes steps back from the evolution of graphical interfaces. Windows 8 is cool for you hip guys that only do facebook and play games. Windows 8 is awful for multi-tasking. Metro interface considerably slows down the workflow. The 5% performance gains are turned in to a slowdown. On a 300 bucks laptop windows 8 does run faster. But any descent desktop will not display any noticeable difference between 7 & 8. Not to mention Autodesk and Adobe software performs worse on windows 8.

What does Windows 8 have? Faster boot time?
Personally I can live with having my system take a while to boot.

The user interface of windows 8 is regressive. It doesn't matter if it is "not that bad" because 7 and even Vista was better

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Windows 8 and more so 8.1 just FEEL so much smoother and nicer than Windows 7. It's not something you can see on Youtube on when another person is using it. Using it daily by yourself you'll see how much more pleasent is to use W8.1 instead of 7.

And enough with the UI already. It's not complicated at all.

Shneiky

Distinguished
8 is maybe pleasant for you for web browsing. It is definitely not pleasant or smooth when anyone is running Maya (or any 3d package) doing a texture (in Photoshop) and pulling textures from a website or his own resources while updating the texture all the time, while having AE or Premier converting separate frames into a movie. Windows 8 is much clunky and slower when dealing with this situation. Not to mention the reason it uses less resources (and boots faster) is that it does not preload a lot of stuff that is necessary for Adobe/Autodesk software. Windows 8 is terrible for multi-tasking. Some of us use our computers to work, to make a living not only for pleasure. And windows 8 is not made with us in mind. We are not the target group, so we stick to windows 7 which works better for our needs. Your ignorance in your blind decision that windows 8 is better is astounding. It might be better for you. Now go on facebook, or Battlefield and let us work.

lekzero

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Testing 8.1enterprise in domain = more agile than the 7 pro, to perform day to day tasks, remotes acess, map network devices etc., it proved to be better than 7, unfortunately I have to return to 7. As the interface, i don´t like the metro, then I simply activate the desktop and the taskbar and created some shortcuts and new toolbar imitating the previous windows.

beavermml

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
i am using win8.1 for my work and i loved it.. it make my works faster.. i mean if u really use windows for professional work.. u wont be bothered to use start menu ( win7 ) and start screen ( win8 ) at all..

everything is just start and type your program to launch it.. or are u telling to click start menu and then click any shortcut in the all program tab etc to start my work when i can just press start ( on keyboard ) and type a couple of key to enter to start the program.

win8 handle multi monitor much more better than win7.. yeah.. that is a plus for productivity

Shneiky

Distinguished
What about .... no. In no way is typing every time you need to reopen your software better than just clicking down there. And really, use of desktop shortcuts? Eliminates typing completely. As for multi-monitor support - that is just your own personal opinion.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

Actually if you know exactly what program you need to open, typing it IS faster. I use the kyb much more than the mouse, mainly because the mouse navigation is slower. However, getting familiar with Win 8/8.1 will help you in IT. I work in IT and recently built a new workstation for myself with a SSD and decided to run 8.1. I have a VM running Win 7, Win Server 2008 R2, Win 2012, and Win XP. I also have my entire SSD & 2nd HDD shared between the 4 virtual machines, so I can access any file I need on any of the VMs. I was a nay sayer for a LONG time, but Win 8.1 is growing on me, especially after you download a Start menu app. It helps...

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Microsoft released Windows 8.1 Preview in June. 25 customers who installed Windows 8.1 Preview on top of Windows 8 will be able to upgrade via the Windows Store. However, those who tried the "beta" by installing it on top of Windows 7 will either need to restore the operating system, or shell out up to $200 for the Windows 8.1 upgrade.
Pretty sure the article was supposed to read THIS way instead of how it was posted above.
Just aint the same Tom's anymore, way too many typos. Did they fire an editor or something?

rickman2k

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
why are all windows upgrades always so high ?
a $100 bucks just for the basic edition to a lot to someone on a fixed income :(

Khalid Khan 313

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
I have Windows 7 Home Basic SP1 (activated) installed on my Laptop. I'm getting this warning in the notification bar stating that your windows 8.1 Preview will expire. What does it mean?? Is there anything to worry about!!!

beavermml

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
wow.. have u never opened multiple programs at once? me myself a programmer, have to open up sublime in full screen, sqlyog, web browser etc.. and then u r telling me that by using mouse it is a lot faster than start key + type? have u tried it your self.. remember that most of the time, your hand is at keyboard.. unless u r doing graphic task that need your hand at your mouse..

i dont stare at the start menu/ start screen all day.. i use windows to do my work.. not staring at the the metro/moden UI and start menu all day.. like u said, u can just skip the modern UI.. infact u can just pin your shortcut at the taskbar if you want to use the mouse so much..

And tell me why exactly why you can't do that on Vista or 7?
When I hit the "Windows" key it brings up the start menu and automatically focuses the search bar.
I can easily type the name of a program and hit enter and it opens.

Its NOT innovative. The type to open has existed in two windows versions before 8

beavermml

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
win8 is faster in searching.. and of cos i can do it in Vista and 7 but in 8 i can gained the performance benefits also.. so why must u bash win8 when u can do the same thing with faster performance.. IMHO, when u open a start menu in Vista/7... your attention is fully on that start menu, u wont focus on any programs that running in the background.. so what is the difference with full screen start menu? `

Because it is still harder to use when compared to the start menu.
There is no reason for it to be full screen.

It is essentially a tablet OS that was smushed into normal desktop/laptops

Keep your single digit performance gains, and I will keep using OSes with UIs that make some sense

Status
Not open for further replies.