Windows 8.1 problem with external monitor.

demoncry54

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
i have ASUS Q550LF running windows 8.1 and i'm hooking up my external monitor ASUS vg248qe to it Via Mini displayport. I had it hooked up for about a week after buying the monitor at 1920x1080p 144hz with no problems what so ever, so then one day after waking up from sleep my it completely disconnects my monitor. my intel graphics card can't detect it, but when i load up my nvida control panel it detects the monitor is there despite the port being connected to the intel card. even my device monitor detects that its there. Strange thing is i left them both connected and rebooted my laptop. when i rebooted it the ASUS startup displayed on both my laptop and monitor, while it was doing that i checked my input information on my monitor and it came up connected via displayport at 144hz and 1080p, but when windows booted it disconnected and went blank. strangely enough when i connect it via HDMI, it'll work fine but if i let it sit for more then 4 hours or so it disconnects also.
Any idea's with whats wrong because i got nothing.

Do you have laptop setup to either turn the monitors off after XX minutes or set to go to sleep? If the laptop goes to sleep, you would lose connectivity to the monitor and have to reconnect. I have 2 LG 24" monitors that when the computer turns off the monitors, they shut off - my other two monitors - a ViewSonic and an AOC both wakup when I move the mouse. I have to power on the LG monitors.

demoncry54

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

I disabled those settings for the screens to turn off after being idle. my laptop went to sleep because i shut the lid. however i've reconnected it multiple times, restarted my laptop, removed the drivers for it from the device manager and reinstalled them multiple times. I've tried about every idea i can but non of them have worked.

I have a similar laptop - I have only used the HDMI to connect to a monitor - I usually use it without connecting to a monitor (it is the 17.3" version). I have always had issues with laptops and external monitors....that being said, when I wake the laptop, and power on the monitor, it always connected....