Windows 8.1 Resolution not working properly.

Axl Brett

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
So, i've had this issue since i updated from 7 to 8.1 when i installed a new graphics card (AMD, Sapphire TriX R9 290. 4Gb, 512 bit)

Turns out that this graphics card runs only on HDMI cables, unlike the previous one, which i had running on a VGA cable. However, i could still run the other one on an HDMI cable, and it would give me even higher resolutions than the VGA. (On the previous graphics card, of course)

But now that i've seen myself forced to update from 7 to 8.1, resolutions don't quite seem to work properly. What i mean is. I'm using a 42" LCD flat screen as a monitor. So the maximum resolution setting that appears is 3200x1800. However, selecting this won't actually set that resolution, but something around 1260x1080. Not even 1920x1080 (Actually setting it to that resolution gives out a much smaller actual resolution.) Which as forced me to set it on "3200x1800" due to it being the biggest resolution available. Though not really being 3200x1800, but something that feels like 1024x768

Which is weird is the fact that it causes almost everything to look extremely big on screen, leaving me with almost no space to work. While few other programs seem to ignore this windows' "shenanigan" and give me a normal screen, with a very small interface and text (with text being almost impossible to read).

I've been searching all over the internet and found no clue whatsoever that could help me.

If anyone knows a way to fix this, please, let me know. I'll be eternally grateful. I really need it!