Windows 8.1 UEFI install on GPT file system - how to change system drive letter?

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Hello,

Is there a way to change the default system partition letter when installing Windows 8.1 64 bit in UEFI mode on a fresh drive?

If its possible i would like the most to be able to declare the system drive letter while Windows is still in the installer mode.

The partition system will be GPT

Solution
No, that won't prevent any security vulns.
Any threat will simply look in the Registry to derive what "drive letter" is the OS. Be it C, L, X, whatever.

Just like any application you install. It will automatically install to "the OS drive", no matter what it is.

If changing the drive letter from C were to prevent malware, we'd all have been doing that years ago.
It's because Windows is nostalgic. It's great grandpa, CP/M, used to reserve drive A and B for floppy drives, back in the days when floppys were 5.25 inch behemoths. Windows NT loves tradition almost as much as Tevye. So drive A and B are still reserved for floppies, even though nobody really uses them anymore.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I like to customise my system and i thought that if C is the default letter all the time it creates a security vulnerability because all automated scripts if are aimed at system files will automatically will aim for the C

I was thinking that if there is some way to change the drive letter from C to other as early as during the initial installation, this will perevent windows installation from being corrupt since from the start all references are set to other picked letter.

USAFRet

Titan
No, that won't prevent any security vulns.
Any threat will simply look in the Registry to derive what "drive letter" is the OS. Be it C, L, X, whatever.

Just like any application you install. It will automatically install to "the OS drive", no matter what it is.

If changing the drive letter from C were to prevent malware, we'd all have been doing that years ago.

Solution