Windows 8.1 Update 1: How to Download it Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The fuss is why release a OS designed around touchscreens for a non touchscreen market?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Did the update automatically, you just have to have everything up to date to have this one available, for me it had 900+ MB Win 8.1 x64.

Took them 2 updates to finally make the shutdown button visible :) I didn`t mind the full screen Start, come to think of it i got used to it and find it better than the old style one , but the hidden shut down button was something i didn`t understood.

So I installed this update and some of the Apps now instantly minimise onto the taskbar. If I try to maximise them for use, they instantly minimise back onto the taskbar.
I have observed this with the Calculator app and the Maps app (not that I really use these apps, I was just testing the new close button) but havent investigated any more. Can anyone else observe the same as me, and should I reset something somewhere.

Im running a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 11s

Jason Mackay

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
@dennphill Nope, no reason whatsoever...I sorely miss Windows 7 and if Windows 8.1 Update 1 doesn't fix a lot then I will be re-installing Windows 7.

I had high hopes for Windows 8, then hoped 8.1 would fix the issues and now find myself hoping 8.1 Update 1 will make it all better...LMAO classic carrot on a stick Micro$haft, all I can say is Come on Valve get Windows games working in SteamOS and you will have a convert :)

Microsoft have an absolute cheek charging £60-190 for Windows in this buggy and unfinished state, holding people over a barrel promising fix after fix until Windows 9 comes out and makes it all better, People we got another Vista on our hands here and you're in denial if you think otherwise :) lol

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
An ARTICLE about how to fucking update?! No, ofcourse not. Its an article about how to update by hand when your system update enabled by default! Jeez, m$hit articles are getting dumber and dumber.

How much do you get with those? Maybe i'll wright some ms articles too.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Are the stupid imbeciles who designed the horrible and dysfunctional Windows 8 series still working for stupid Microsoft?

They all should be executed.

Ipatinga

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
HOW WINDOWS 8 SHOULD HAVE STARTED?

----> with "Windows 8.1 Update 2".

(wtf is this name... it should be "Windows 8 SP3")....

**** Also, MS, give me the option to make a new ISO of my Windows 8 + .1 + Update 1 + Update 2 (future, I know... ). *****

voreo

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Start Menu / Universal Apps likely to come in the Fall. Thank goodness im already on 8.1

Metro is NOT that bad. A lot of people are saying EW WINDOWS 8 without even trying it themselves.

mcusuma1

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
Installed the update; machine rebooted to a blank screen. Can see the cursor if I move the mouse, but it disappears when I stop moving it. Safe mode has the same issue, but I can see "Safe Mode" in all four corners. Had to do a system restore to get back in. Microsoft technician had no useful advice.

Also I gave the "Start Screen" / Metro a fighting chance. For me, it's a huge PITA. Takes up the whole screen, unecessarily big icons, have to move the mouse a mile to get from one end of the screen to the other, horrible asthetics, and to top it all off, all of the "Apps" broke when I took full ownership of my drive, which I had to do because I couldn't even save a text file.

Way to go Microsoft!

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
update 1 is great but since i don't use any of the metro app and run as built-in admin, i didn't notice any visual changes to the desktop other than the 'store' being pinned to the taskbar. :p

using 'classic shell' also makes a lot of things in win 8.1 feels like running win 7 but with all the 'under-the-hood' benefits of using the latest os version. :)

lp231

Splendid
I got the update to install on my netbook and what I see so far is that power and search button on the top right next to your user account name. The Windows store has been pin to the task bar. Can't remember the All Programs set like that since I rarely use it, just start typing the name of the program and it automatically brings up search.
The search bar doesn't even need to be there, it's right on the charms bar.

My desktop on the other hand does not show the update, because one update for Windows 8.1 Defender was not able to install, keep on getting error code 80070026. This error indicates is cause if you have a SSD and the User folder is moved to the HDD via symbolic link. There is a workaround, but it involves creating a new user on the SSD and then modifying a bunch of registry settings. I'll just reinstall my OS, since I don't have much on it and set my user folder to the HDD by changing the location path, instead of using symbolic link.
The error codes does not just apply to this update, it applies to basically all updates that's too dumb to notice the User folder was moved to another drive and it's not on the drive where the OS is installed.

Zaranthos

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Stupid Microsoft loving lemmings. Who cares if the start menu comes back? So you don't use it? Who cares, some people liked it as a rarely used repository of all their installed software. It was generally well organized and there to easily access if you needed to. Fact is Microsoft could have had it both ways but they went the arrogant route and said F-you to their entire user base. Oh, and you young people that have the screw the old people attitude? Your parents either raised you poorly or you weren't paying attention when they were trying to teach you to respect your elders. I don't need the start menu either, but it was a lot better than forcing a Fischer Price interface onto desktop computers just to sell more tablets and phones. Face facts, Microsoft screwed up with Windows 8 and 8.1 and subsequent updates are lame attempts to save face and rescue horrible sales numbers. Even riding the XP is doomed bandwagon and having Microsoft Security Essentials pop up with endless warning about XPocolypse doesn't change the fact that more people still use XP than 8 and some of them still won't use 8 no matter how much hype about the end is thrown at them. Oh, and the ribbon bar sucks no matter how many things they add it to. Going from file/edit/view/help (written language) to cave man drawings and Egyptian hieroglyphics is not an improvement. But I guess you can't argue with the smart phone generation who can barely live without their tiny buttons and tiny icons to entertain them while they insult their elders.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Is this article flooded by M$ paid trolls and upvoter/downvoters? If not, it surely looks like it.
M$, you have got caught red handed once, you will forever be blamed for anything suspicious from now on. You won't influence the group thinking, you will only fuel resistance, even if your products are good.

p.s. personal experience W8 vs. W7 and XP: still hate the W8 UI... and opinions are always right, since IMO the W8 interface sucks! That is MY opinion, and no amount of righteous or paid feedback will change that. Suck it up!

tensai27

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
I'm not sure why people can't figure out windows 8.1. The way I see it is the start screen is just an improved start menu. All of the functions that were on the left side of the start menu(commonly used programs, all programs, search..) are accessible by left clicking the start button. All of the functions (and more) that were on the right side of the start menu(control panel, shutdown options...etc) are now accessible by right clicking the start button. That's right, all you have to do is right click the start button and choose shutdown. It's just as easy as it was on windows 7. It's not rocket science and I am puzzled as to why some people can't seem to get it. Why are people demanding the return of the start menu? Can't they see how much better this is? Rather than having all of your commonly used programs being all crammed up in one dinky menu and cluttering your desktop, you now have the whole start screen. Not only that but having all those options when I right click the start menu is really convenient. Under navigation>startscreen have the first 3 and the last option checked. As for modern apps, some people like them but if you don't like them, then don't use them. They are really easy to remove.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

MS`s problem was that it changed some things and people forgot about using windows by right clicking stuff... Another thing is that the most complains about start menu and other stuff come from power users that in theory should be able to figure these things out by themselves, and the biggest issue in the end is the eye candy , they hate the lack of Aero on these things. F**k functionality ... give them pretty shiny icons.

They cry about productivity because Start Screen takes away the background, without even thinking is faster to find something while using your whole screen surface than searching trough a tiny start menu thus taking away your attention from the rest of the screen anyway, you know.. the human has a focus area about the size of a coin, so having the rest of the screen free still doesn`t help you.

I`m glad to see more people changed their minds about Start Screen like me eventually, but as shown MS will introduce again a start menu ..

tensai27

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

It's a real shame. I just hope that the start menu will be optional for desktop users. To be fair, we are always going to have that group of people that refuse to adapt (there are still people using XP even today). That's why there has always been an option on windows to run it in a classic-like theme to please those kinds of people. I don't see why they didn't just put the start menu there from the beginning as an option so that the rest of us could move on and Microsoft could spend time innovating instead of adding unnecessary features (power button on start screen).

Status
Not open for further replies.