Windows 8.1 Update 1 Will Boot Directly to Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
"of us embraced the design, clicked on the desktop tile and went on with our lives. Many customers haven't been quite so welcoming; it was entirely too much change."It wasn't to much change for me. It was a total pain having the switches from desktop to "metro" applications. It made my PC experience feel like using an iPad. Which is why I installed classic start menu along with making my default applications the desktop versions of picture viewrs, files viewers etc. I found it a big waste of time to open a picture on the desktop to have it bump me out to the "metro" interface to then have to jump back to desktop mode. Microsoft simply needs to have the "metro" interface tweaked to be useful and run under desktop mode for those that want to work like that i.e. like an updated start menu. I'm running classic start up until the day they fix this time wasting experience.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
This isn't news since the option to boot straight onto the desktop rather than the start menu already exists in Windows 8.1. In fact I use it every day at work.Proof. In 8.1 Right click on Taskbar > Properties > Navigation > "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start"

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
yeah you've been able to do this since 8.1, the same as you dont have to sign in every time you boot either.2 minuites on google and problem solved

blibbi

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah, that "go to desktop instead of Start" thing is already there. Kinda weird that the author doesn't seem to know that.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
i believe the article is saying that boot to desktop would be the default, rather than boot to "metro" or whatever you want to call it. i'm pretty sure he already knew that the option to boot to desktop was available with windows 8.1

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Nope, still think Windows 7 x64 is the best since XP days. Will not be changing to 8 or 8.1 or 8.1 release update 1 or 8.1 blue or whatever it's called. Tried it before and it's just a waste of time, TRUST me~ =(

lp231

Splendid

On a clean Windows 8.1 install, it will boot directly into Metro, and then the user can have the option to boot directly into desktop. If Windows 8.1 already have this feature, then what is the point of this update?
If this update says to boot directly into desktop by default, well it won't help at all since this is just a update and when you do a clean install of Windows 8.1 it will still boot into Metro by default.
Unless the newest revision of Windows 8.1 have this patch integrated into the OS install image and let users have the option of selecting boot to desktop or boot to metro during initial setup.
For now this is noting but a misleading title trying desperately to collect click points.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
What is there in 8.1 that would make a person choose it over Win 7. Does it choke badly when there are many applications installed ?

Sep 22, 2013
This isn't news since the option to boot straight onto the desktop rather than the start menu already exists in Windows 8.1. In fact I use it every day at work.Proof. In 8.1 Right click on Taskbar > Properties > Navigation > "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start"
This ^^^ 100%. I haven't used the Start menu more than 3 times since installing 8.1, and if it weren't for my password, it would boot directly to the desktop.
What is there in 8.1 that would make a person choose it over Win 7. Does it choke badly when there are many applications installed ?
Multiple applications being installed isn't what slows down your PC. This is a misconception; it's usually multiple *active* programs that automatically load when Windows boots. The more active background processes, the more CPU and memory reserved for them, and in some cases even network resources.If you're having issues like this w/Win 7, I'd suggest posting in the forums and looking for assistance. We can help you optimize your OS, whatever it may be.

G

I don't get the sour attitude towards 8 and 8.1. I have used both and find both to work well, just differently from 7. I have used my personal desktop on 8 and 8.1 - without resorting to third party software (same one I use on my Win7 computers. Not a big deal. I also like the very fast boot-up. The way some folders/files are hidden from the user is good to prevent system damage by removal. If you really need access to these files - use the God Mode. All this yapping for Win9 will only guaranty more profits for Microsoft and yet further planned obsolescence.

Mountain bill, I'm with you - the people who complain about it are people who can't be bothered to take 5 minutes to change default settings...Or those who are too ignorant to not use the desktop version of metro apps and so use the windows store and complain about how their programs are nasty.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I'm happy to see that MS is finally listening to the Beta testers that complained about the startup on Windows 8 :) Still can't stand the odd behavior in Windows 8, like how it randomly creates multiple temp user accounts.

pilsner

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Mountain bill, I'm with you - the people who complain about it are people who can't be bothered to take 5 minutes to change default settings...Or those who are too ignorant to not use the desktop version of metro apps and so use the windows store and complain about how their programs are nasty.
Or those who think that Windows 8 looks incredibly ugly even in Desktop mode and that there additionally is no new feature which justifies forking over money for an upgrade from Windows 7. If I put Windows 8 on my machine right now, nothing in daily use would change (insert rant about why touch screens are not practical except for mobile devices), except that I would be annoyed every time I'd have to look at that ugly desktop theme. So why pay for it? Just for the nicer task manager? Think I'll use the money for a few beers instead.

mvl821

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Not big news. For five bucks you can go to Stardock.com and get their Start8 product that gives you a Windows 7 style start menu and boots you right to the desktop. For another 3 bucks you can get their Modern Mix app that allows you to run things like the App Store in a window on the desktop. So the features they are advertising on these updates are already available really cheap from a third party.

If you already had windows 7, then you're correct, there's not much reason to upgrade... but how many people upgraded from XP to vista? Or vista to 7? It makes sense, just like with the hardware, to skip a generation and buy every other generation. So if you have vista and need a modern OS, or if you're buying a new os ANYWAYS with a new computer, why in the world WOULDN'T you get 8.1?

You can make metro completely dissipate, it has a better task manager, better file transfer, MILES better bluetooth support, a ridiculously improved search, slightly better performance than windows 7...

Why exactly do you think the desktop is ugly? It's the same freaking desktop that windows 7 has, except the taskbar isn't SHINY and translucent, just translucent... Does it really make that big of a difference to you? If it just, just have the taskbar autohide itself. (And if you really don't like an operating system because you think it's taskbar doesn't look good, well.. come on.)

And while I agree with you that there's no point in having part of the OS be built for touch so heavily, that mostly applies to the metro portions which, like I said, can be hidden very easily. To make up for it, windows 8 works with multi-monitor setups far better than it's predecessors, too... so there is some merit to having it on a desktop.

sirwriter

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Nope, they're already working on the SP1 for Win 9. MS would like to quietly move into another Windows 7 type product, granted, with improvements. Which is what they did with Vista to Win 7. I personally believe they should develop a Windows 7.5, and give everyone who has a certified copy of Win 8 or 8.1 a coupon for a free copy. Do away with the numbering system. Stop having 4 or 5 versions of the same O/S all the time. Being a little less greedy and promoting consumer satisfaction would go along way toward building a more stable customer base. Oh, and to answer your question, there will most likely be an SP2, and possibly an SP3 to Win 7.Windows 7 is the only proven O/S that people believe they can trust out in the field, now that they have effectively killed Win XP. What we need is some more good old fashioned competition in Operating Systems.

dokonewski

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Wow, I'm baffled by all the hate for Windows 8/8.1. Clearly those that hate it have never truly tried it. Installing it and already being upset because of internet reviews is not TRYING it. Everyone says that the only improvement is the better task manager. I suppose if you aren't a PC power user that may be all you see. Nevermind the ability to VPN into a secondary network BEFORE logging in, the ability to pause a data transfer across a network, better utilization of system resources, better bluetooth, better everything else than any version of Windows that came before it. Windows 7 was great just like XP was great ... for it's time. That time has passed and it time to move on, and get over it that things in the technology arena CHANGE! Don't like change, get a MAC!

dokonewski

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Wow, I'm baffled by all the hate for Windows 8/8.1. Clearly those that hate it have never truly tried it. Installing it and already being upset because of internet reviews is not TRYING it. Everyone says that the only improvement is the better task manager. I suppose if you aren't a PC power user that may be all you see. Nevermind the ability to VPN into a secondary network BEFORE logging in, the ability to pause a data transfer across a network, better utilization of system resources, better bluetooth, better everything else than any version of Windows that came before it. Windows 7 was great just like XP was great ... for it's time. That time has passed and it time to move on, and get over it that things in the technology arena CHANGE! Don't like change, get a MAC!

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Windows 8.1 can already boot to the Desktop native Right click task bar. Go to properties, Go to Navigation and check. When I sign in or close apps on the screen go to the desktop. A way to get the Start menu back is to install a program called Class Shell for free. Classic Shell will use the 8.1 Start logo and give you Windows 7 start menu exactly.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Well some may like 8.1 and 8 , but Microsoft completely screwed the pooch. I know of several people that stayed on the fence about desktop and laptop purchases due to the interface. Many people have computers for specific task and don't live and work on computers everyday as many of us do. They don't have any interest in adapting to a drastic change because it just isn't a priority. Ever heard the expression "you never get a second chance to make a first impression"? the first time I picked up a laptop with 8 I instantly hated it. For some dumb reason Microsoft had a default setting where the windows store popped up with an unknown track pad gesture. I had to google what was causing it . Also, my first experience with the gimped start button was infuriating; there was no way to control panel , computer , or a familiar way to get to my full applications. I have no problem googling for a few things like " where do I find audio properties" , but not googling "how the f*** do I get to my programs." If you have to use google to make a product usable, then it should be a clue to a serious design flaw. People bought the windows brand and expected it to function like..... you know , WINDOWS! if they wanted a different experience they would have went with Linux or OS, not something that feels like Jellybean, or iOS. "....But , But you can go in and change it to desktop", blah blah blah.Too late , you done lost your customer. What is really crappy is that MS beta tested their product and got the feedback for the needed changes and basically said the customer isn't right , we know what best and your gonna love it. Sounds a lot like the "your holding it wrong" crap Apple tried to spin. The have sown the wind and must now reap the whirlwind. I would be interested in Windows 8 at the 30 dollar price point ; I might be willing to adapt and google for a bargain, but not for the ludicrous price MS charges for their os.

jase240

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
If you already had windows 7, then you're correct, there's not much reason to upgrade... but how many people upgraded from XP to vista? Or vista to 7? It makes sense, just like with the hardware, to skip a generation and buy every other generation. So if you have vista and need a modern OS, or if you're buying a new os ANYWAYS with a new computer, why in the world WOULDN'T you get 8.1?You can make metro completely dissipate, it has a better task manager, better file transfer, MILES better bluetooth support, a ridiculously improved search, slightly better performance than windows 7...Why exactly do you think the desktop is ugly? It's the same freaking desktop that windows 7 has, except the taskbar isn't SHINY and translucent, just translucent... Does it really make that big of a difference to you? If it just, just have the taskbar autohide itself. (And if you really don't like an operating system because you think it's taskbar doesn't look good, well.. come on.)And while I agree with you that there's no point in having part of the OS be built for touch so heavily, that mostly applies to the metro portions which, like I said, can be hidden very easily. To make up for it, windows 8 works with multi-monitor setups far better than it's predecessors, too... so there is some merit to having it on a desktop.
I upgraded all my computer s from vista to windows 7. Vista was crap and I'm sure anyone with windows 8 will also upgrade as soon as a better OS is released.

+1
I've used 8 and 8.1 almost since release, and I have few complaints. The Task Manager alone is worth the upgrade from 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.