Windows 8.1 Update 3 Could Still Be Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I wish Microsoft would stand their ground and have no start button in windows 9, Most people who are criticizing windows 8 are miss informed and refuse to try it out, even just for a while, they hate change.

I was one of those users who decided I would give it a spin for a little while and ended up realizing how much better the metro interface is. I added my programs to it, ordered them the way I wanted and installed some metro apps, now my desktop is uncluttered and I don't have to fumble around with an alphabetical list of software any more.

Windows 8.1 is by far the best windows OS I have ever used and I'm a mouse/keyboard power user and have been since windows 3.11.

Artem Shaban

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
I wish Microsoft would stand their ground and have no start button in windows 9, Most people who are criticizing windows 8 are miss informed and refuse to try it out, even just for a while, they hate change.

I was one of those users who decided I would give it a spin for a little while and ended up realizing how much better the metro interface is. I added my programs to it, ordered them the way I wanted and installed some metro apps, now my desktop is uncluttered and I don't have to fumble around with an alphabetical list of software any more.

Windows 8.1 is by far the best windows OS I have ever used and I'm a mouse/keyboard power user and have been since windows 3.11.
I agree, but Microsoft needed to be keep classic and new start for select. And why search looking only on 1 language when i have 2.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003

Problem is MOST customers hate it. Works fine for touchscreens but not so for desktops which is why Microsoft is fixing it. Microsoft can only push so much before folks start to look for alternatives like Linux or Macs.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Shouldn't that actually read like this:

'...indicating that Microsoft is feeling pretty confident that it doesn't have another Windows Millennium Edition/Windows Vista/Windows 8 on its hands...'

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
I have installed third party start menu programs for other people such as start 8. But as for myself and others I know, we are very happy with 8.1's start screen. I just don't know what the big deal is, 8.1 is so much more user friendly than other OS's and the start screen gives you so much more than a start button/menu. But even for those that don't upgrade to 8.1 because of the start screen, well their are plenty of options (Many Free) that will remedy that.

Montego

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
@Ultameca
Like you, I decided to give Windows 8 (actually 8.1) a try even though I was sure that Windows XP, and then Windows 7, were the greatest OS's ever invented for the average desktop user. After learning my way around Windows 8.1 I have to agree that now that I'm use to it, it is a better OS. I do wish Microsoft would stop coming out with new operating systems when they already have those that do work well. Instead, I would much rather see them focus on better security for their OS's so they don't constantly have to 'patch' them.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I'm writing this on a Win 8.1 system and I'm completely comfortable with it. But, and a big but, I was using Windows 7 in a way that most consumers never caught on to,despite the advantages. How many PC users have never learned to use the Windows Key on their keyboard that has been around since Windows 95? As far as I can tell it is the great majority of users out there. Those little details play a vital role in not finding the removal of the Start menu a crippling change.

In a better world the average human would be more open to learning simple new things and stuff like software could progress more rapidly. But that isn't the species we are and ignoring the feedback is what made Win8 a disaster for Microsoft. A vast number of people tried to tell them this was going to be a problem and were ignored because the subset they cared to listen to are more adaptable than the typical human.

If they'd accepted this from the start so much difficulty could have been avoided. If the first release of Windows could be easily configured to be desktop oriented without using any third party additions, there would have been little complaint over the Metro additions for touch users.

rohitbaran

Distinguished

Why do you think corporate users haven't upgraded to Windows 8 yet? It is NOT that much user friendly to someone who has been working while using the XP and Windows 7 start menu for a long time. Windows 8 is not even that popular as MS makes it to be. Most of the licenses are the OEMs which are forced down the buyer's throat when they buy a branded laptop/desktop. If you want to buy Windows 7, you are forced to buy Windows 8 and then downgrade. Windows 8 is probably even lagging Windows XP, or if leading, then not by much in OS market share. It is a useless upgrade more or less over Windows 7. I am further surprised how quickly they are trying to push out Windows 9. It seems like they will eventually have an annual release cycle and then will force the customers with upgrading every year by shady tactics such as ending support after every year (windows 7 support period is shorter than that of windows XP, 6 years compared to 8 years).

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Try looking at it from an enterprise standpoint. Microsoft makes more money from Enterprise licenses than individual licenses. If you have a company of 3000 users currently using Windows XP and decide to migrate their workstations to Windows 7, the learning curve is minimal for the basic things that end users need to do. Now if you move them to Windows 8, it involves a lot more training to get those same users up to speed how to do the same things. Microsoft is trying to fix this because Enterprise companies are not using Windows 8 licenses and even if they buy the machine and it comes with Windows 8 pre installed they will wipe it and install the OS they currently have licenses for and it will most likely be Windows 7. I have seen the same thing happen when Vista came out, companies were buying Vista machines and installing XP on them.

For the average user, they can spend the time and learn the new features and tinker about to figure things out but when time is money you need to provide the end user with something they can use with minimal training effort. There are still people today that think when you unpin an application in Windows 7 from the taskbar that it actually uninstalls it. Do you think companies will spend the money and resources explaining to users that Metro apps are different than Desktop apps, how to reposition apps that were docked on the screen, how to view your currently installed printers, etc.

invisibilian

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

Why do you think corporate users haven't upgraded to Windows 8 yet? It is NOT that much user friendly to someone who has been working while using the XP and Windows 7 start menu for a long time. Windows 8 is not even that popular as MS makes it to be. Most of the licenses are the OEMs which are forced down the buyer's throat when they buy a branded laptop/desktop. If you want to buy Windows 7, you are forced to buy Windows 8 and then downgrade. Windows 8 is probably even lagging Windows XP, or if leading, then not by much in OS market share. It is a useless upgrade more or less over Windows 7. I am further surprised how quickly they are trying to push out Windows 9. It seems like they will eventually have an annual release cycle and then will force the customers with upgrading every year by shady tactics such as ending support after every year (windows 7 support period is shorter than that of windows XP, 6 years compared to 8 years).

and I will for one be repeal the "stand your ground law". lol

ghostshade

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

For you yes but just because you find that it works for you does not mean it works for everyone else.

Microsoft has taken enough flak about the modern UI for them to realise that if they want to keep their enterprise customers they have to offer the start menu.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
well windows 9 better get it right and not give the consumers some half arse start menu that's really a gateway to the metro interface. i'm starting to speculate what the all apps button is at the bottom of the start menu on the latest prebuild that replaces the world all programs on traditional start menus. will this actually be like the old style and list the programs in the start menu or will it open up metro? if it open up metro instead of showing an actual list like in the traditional sense then it's going to fail. I don't see why it is soo hard for microsoft to give consumers a simple start menu again without trying to cram it down consumers throats in some fashion.

Jay Stew

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
Thats bull. Windows 8 has only one real selling point advantage to it over Windows 7, lighter footprint, and at the expense of compatability, properly working updates, seasoned drivers, UI comfortability by the user base, and the list goes on and on.

The idea that MS should "stand their ground" against cosumers is why 3 years later Windows 7 came out, which was lighter faster and well rounded to fix the failing of Vista which was a bloated, slow, beast of UAC suckass.

Windows 8 UI without the Start menu on the desktop/laptop, which are still the dominant computing devices, make no sense at all. Sales are showing that. Which is why they are even talking about Windows 9.

Decisions to stand their ground lead to poor sales, poor sales lead to layoffs. Oh look at this to the tune of 18k layoffs, about 1/6 of the company. That is a substantial chunk of the workforce.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

Yeah i am sure W8 has everything to do with people resisting change. I wonder why people are choosing Android, Apple, Linux or their outdated XP systems over W8. It's pretty easy to walk into a store and walk out dissatisfied because W8 is pretty much the only OS in stores.

Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone else will. Most people don't buy new $800 PC's just to fiddle around with the new OS that happens to be so different unless they were switching platforms. Geez, i use W7 and my desktop is not cluttered and i still get my most often used programs on the start menu. If i need to look for a certain program i'd just type it in the search bar on the start menu. I tried the start screen for awhile. It doesn't offer me anything but a headache. While there is an amount of people who will listen to their tech guy about W8 not being a good OS, those people don't even know that unhooking their USB data drives without removing it from the desktop can cause corruption.

Bottom line is MS could have done a much better job in the beginning with having a start menu and not change everything so their desktop PC doesn't function like a tablet. W7 was word of mouth too, the same with Vista. Did W7 fail because of a few people disliking it? No, it worked because W7 catered to most users and gave them what they wanted. W8x didn't do that and is failing in other areas such as the updates. It's quite funny how people like to use the "people don't like it because they haven't' tried it yet". If the OS was any good to begin with people wouldn't be 'Too scared to use it'. MS prevented a few desktop/laptop hardware companies from putting in an Android OS. Might have saved both the company and Android itself from embarrassment, because Android was designed for touch, not for desktop usage. Yet with the first incarnation of W8, i still prefer to use Android. Desktop UI's should not change just because people are bored with the existing ones. If there's a useful feature in mind like modern apps i would imagine putting those in using the traditional windows format. However MS has ruined their ability to get users on modern apps for the reason that they chose to keep the touch UI instead of removing it and making it a proper desktop UI in place. That is why W8 has not done so well. Not because people refuse to try it because they were told by others.

If Ford released a car that only worked for one day, Ford is going to not gain anything out of selling that car. The same with MS selling W8. If W8 was indeed good, there would not be any or much resistance. I don't see resistance in Android phones or iPads, that took off pretty quickly. People are not that resistant to change, they are resistant to bad technology that doesn't serve a purpose for their needs. Just as much if your software does not work with another WIndows system or how you can't find equivalent software that you use on Windows to work on Linux. That is one reason why XP users will not upgrade to W7 or W8. The other reason is because they don't want to use W8. The same will be for W9 users if MS really chooses to have the same UI look that W8 has. Some might give it a shot especially if their current OS is expiring but again i don't think it will be much unless W7 users really want to get the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts