Windows 8.1 Update Boots to Desktop Only on Non-Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
It's just too difficult to put a simple option stating "Modern UI / Traditional Desktop" in one of the installation steps.I guess it's just too easy to do that instead of programming to detect monitors and stuffs. Master managments, excellent programming indeed, fantastic logic, A+ intelligence, 10/10 IGN.

icehot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
this actually sounds like a good mix of the 2 environments at last, detecting the best interface for the best device is a much better idea, and I do like the sound of title bars again on metro app... can't wait to try it out!

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
"using a screen without touch capability, then the platform will boot to the desktop by default."microsoft, not an update without fail. This is how it should've worked instead: If mouse detected -> boot to normal desktop with Windows7 theme(no flat ugly moderated, please keep it clean windows decorations) by default.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
So for the last couple years, M$ are busy to introduce functions for Win 8/8.1 that actually had been a "basic thing" for the last 15+ years of Windows computing... stuff like Start button, boot to desktop, (up coming Start menu??)... While a fresh copy of Win 7 with SP1 (still sold by the millions) still need to face with 150+ windows update...

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
What Microsoft needs to be doing is REMOVE all metro from not touch devices. REMOVE it completely. I don't want to see anything metro on a 1440p 27 inch screen. It's a complete waste of time. Do AWAY with the metro-style network selector, do AWAY with the metro-style start menu, do AWAY with any metro-style control panel, AWAY with the metro-style windows store, AWAY with the metro-style software selector (for unknown file types), AWAY with the purple, AWAY with the metro-style login screen, AWAY with the useless BSOD, AWAY with all mentions of "apps" instead of "software" or "programs", AWAY with charms and any screen's-edge UI...Just do away with metro and I'll upgrade. Otherwise, Microsoft, you'll never see my money ever again.

dwdesign

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Windows 8 should have been introduced this way for traditional PC. Leave the apps to tablets and ultras. This is why I switched to OSX.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
What Microsoft needs to be doing is REMOVE all metro from not touch devices. REMOVE it completely. I don't want to see anything metro on a 1440p 27 inch screen. It's a complete waste of time. Do AWAY with the metro-style network selector, do AWAY with the metro-style start menu, do AWAY with any metro-style control panel, AWAY with the metro-style windows store, AWAY with the metro-style software selector (for unknown file types), AWAY with the purple, AWAY with the metro-style login screen, AWAY with the useless BSOD, AWAY with all mentions of "apps" instead of "software" or "programs", AWAY with charms and any screen's-edge UI...Just do away with metro and I'll upgrade. Otherwise, Microsoft, you'll never see my money ever again.
I actually found a use for it. I have a two year old daughter and this is the perfect interface for teaching her how to use a computer and mouse.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
The interface is an Microsoft's way of overcompensating for the fact that they missed the boat with smartphones and tables. The interface works for tablets but that's about it. It takes too long to find anything on a phone and for a computer it's just a huge was of screen real estate. It works fine for the 90% of the population that only uses a PC for checking email and facebook, but for those of us that open several browser windows with dozens of tabs a piece, keep a couple of editors running, a command line, an explorer window and a couple of applications running at the same time Metro is a hindrance. Google and Apple that you have to adapt the interface between tablets, phones, and PCs, why can't Microsoft figure this one out?

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The interface is an Microsoft's way of overcompensating for the fact that they missed the boat with smartphones and tables. The interface works for tablets but that's about it. It takes too long to find anything on a phone and for a computer it's just a huge was of screen real estate. It works fine for the 90% of the population that only uses a PC for checking email and facebook, but for those of us that open several browser windows with dozens of tabs a piece, keep a couple of editors running, a command line, an explorer window and a couple of applications running at the same time Metro is a hindrance. Google and Apple that you have to adapt the interface between tablets, phones, and PCs, why can't Microsoft figure this one out?
The interface works well for non-tablets as well. I'm personally using it to post this comment and I love the full screen start menu in Windows 8. Not that hard to shift between Modern UI and Desktop apps.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
No you wouldn't. You would have no reason to upgrade. Might as well stay on Windows 8 at that point. People just don't like things that have been used for years to change much. Gradual improvements. Anything drastic and you get comments like the one above and then the 16 thumbs up on it. If Microsoft continued to do things that way they would continue to rapidly decline in market share. They have to come up with fresh idea and innovative ways for people to interact with their applications and other people through their computer. They are competing with OSX and to a lesser extent Ubuntu Linux. IMO metro is not a bad first try and introducing a new way to get to applications. Not perfect and could use some continued refinement but not bad. It is extremely fast.

lp231

Splendid
Both my laptop and desktop running 8.1 does not support touch screen. I like to boot into the Start screen, instead of the desktop. If I already did the manual switch as with the steps listed, Then what is the major point of this update?If I have it as boot to start screen, and I did not set it to boot to desktop, then basically what this update does is, change that setting to boot to desktop for me, right?Any other useful features instead of just boot to desktop with this update?

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I'm glad they're adding a shutdown button. With a right-side screen extension, hovering in just the right spot is more work than it should be.

anonymous_user

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Any other useful features instead of just boot to desktop with this update?
I don't know if you would consider them useful but Update 1 brings a lot of other changes like titlebars for Metro apps, Metro apps show on the taskbar, and the taskbar can be brought up on the Start Screen (its not always visible though).

candele

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I'm thinking of getting an ASUS N550jv with a touch screen. Should I reconsider the touch screen? Who knows what %&*%%$$&( Microsoft will do with 8.2?

candele

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I'm thinking of getting an ASUS N550jv with a touch screen. Should I reconsider the touch screen? Who knows what %&*%%$$&( Microsoft will do with 8.2?

candele

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Obviously Win8 Metro on PHONES is awesome, brilliant. On desktop/laptop it's the devil. Allow people to set it up how they want, that's all we ever asked Microsoft. We want MORE configuration and customization options, not less. In recent years MS has been dumbing down and taking away individual preference. I HATE that trend, it's terrible. Sure 80% of people do the default, but that last 20% are your power users and those that matter the most. They are vocal and then actually do work on their computers. The 80% listens to the 20%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS