Windows 8.1 Update1... Display won't turn on?

stefan37

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
It happens to me every once in a while... I set my screen to turn off after 10 mins of inactivity, and sometimes it won't turn on, and I have to restart the PC. After I restart it, it shows that Windows is updating, and it usually restarts again and all is fine... Should I upgrade the bios or something? Is there any solution to this? I got x64 version installed...
My monitor is really old like 5-6 years but it worked very well always - Samsung SyncMaster 920NW
My PC specs are the following:
Asus P8Z77-V LX
i5 3570k
MSI Radeon 7870 Twin Frozr
Seasonic 650AM
8GB (2x4) Kingston HyperX RAM
Seagate Barracuda st1000dm003 1tb 7200

since you mention bios, how old is your bios? have you never upgraded it since you got your motherboard? (since win 8.1 is new, there is probably a more stable bios for it).

that aside, have you updated the drivers for your motherboard and GPU? a lot of sleep / wake issues can come from those

okay i would get a new monitor if i were you or try the pc on a diffrent monitor and see if the problems continues if it does than its your drivers uninstall the old drivers and install new ones and make sure you dont touch the bios at all

stefan37

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

By the way this time when it didn't wake up, it wasn't updating either. I got the latest AMD GPU drivers, and for motherboard I only installed chipset, and audio I think, because Windows 8.1 installed all of the drivers automatically. As for the bios, no I've never updated it...

^coolboy951 that should be something you can RMA the motherboard to msi for

in this case, I think something is clearly wrong, and bios is a likely problem. keep in mind that your motherboard does have a back up bios, so go ahead and update this one