Question Windows 8.1 upgrade to 10 with new parts being added after.

Dabgah

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
Hello i hope im in the right place for this issue. To start with i have a machine a friend gave me with a better motherboard/processor than my current setup that im wanting to swap to. So i got a 512 ssd and im going to use the ram and gpu in my current setup on his rig. Im thinking of getting a new power supply just to be safe as both mine and his are from ~2013.

My current plan was to get windows installed on the new ssd in his current case with some extra ram and onboard graphics so i still have a working pc in the meantime and once its up and running move it all into my current case and adding the graphics card, ram and hyper 212 over his stock cooler. He has a digital license for windows 8.1 installed (from a prebuilt vendor) and ive read a bit on how to upgrade digital 8.1 to 10 but im unsure what the best way to do this would be.

Tagging it to my microsoft account and doing a fresh 8.1 install on the ssd and then upgrading to 10. Doing a 10 upgrade install on his old hd and cloning to the ssd after, or if i can select the fresh install to the ssd and it grab the digital license through the upgrade. If i use a windows 10 flash installer and it finds the digital license can i just add the hardware later without issue since im using the same mobo/cpu and hd?

Ive never done a hd swap or multiple part swaps at once which ive heard can deactivate windows licences. Any help is greatly appreciated before i start the process. Ive been scavenging for old windows 7 keys through my basement and friends older setups hoping to find a physical key sticker and make it a non-digital license

Sorry for so many questions at once, im obviously confused on this digital license and hardware changes beyond small changes.

USAFRet

Titan
To many moving parts. 1 at a time.

1. Upgrade the Win 8.1 to Win 10, in the current hardware.
  2. Link the Win 10 license to your Microsoft account
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

3. Change whatever parts, and do a full wipe and reinstall of Win 10 on your new SSD

Dabgah

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
Ive found his product key sticker on the inside of the back panel... while removing wire ties to remove his dead psu. Does this change the order at all or do i still want to link Microsoft account and follow the above steps?