[SOLVED] Windows 8.1 with Bing ISO question

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello...

The long version of the question:
So a couple of years back I got an HP 250 G3 and it came with Windows 8.1 with Bing (wtf Microsoft) but shortly after, I wiped the HDD clean and installed Windows 7 Starter 32-bit because it only had 2GB of memory and was really struggling with 8.1. Now just a little while ago, after much struggle, pain and suffering, I managed to get a compatible PC3L 4GB module for it that it accepted without making stupid BIOS post errors. Windows 7 32bit obviously cannot address that, and since Windows 7 is going to die next year I thought I will just install Win8.1 since I should still have the product key stored in BIOS (Unless Win8.1 with Bing does not do that?) so I need to know if I can legally obtain an ISO for that version.

The short version of the question:
I basically need to know if I can get a Windows 8.1 with Bing ISO, and if I can successfully get it, will the OS automatically obtain the product key stored in BIOS? I am asking all that because Win 8.1 with Bing seems like one of those weird versions of Windows so I am not sure about it.

Thank you!

Solution
Windows 8.1 or 10 will perform simmilarly on 4gb ram. It will be slower than win7 starter, but your main speed limit will be by the old celeron, not the ram.
Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 should be simmilar in performance. I would avoid 8.1 and install 10 instead.

1) Download the Windows 10 media creation tool directly from Microsoft web site.
2)The media creation tool will turn a usb drive into a bootable windows 10 drive. It will destroy any data on the usb drive.
3)Boot into the usb drive and select "i dont have a key" during install.

Windows will see the win 8.1 key linked to your hardware and activate Windows 10 with it. Microsoft does this to get everyone on windows 10.

I have a laptop with a celeron 1.6ghz 2t N3060 and a measly 2gb ram and 32gb flash storage that came with windows 10 from the factory. Its slow, but usable.

Windows 10 and 8.1 are simmilar performing. Nearly all systems that run windows 8 can run 10, unless they are from the early p4 era circa 2004.

Linux is a faster option.

I have a laptop with a celeron 1.6ghz 2t N3060 and a measly 2gb ram and 32gb flash storage that came with windows 10 from the factory. Its slow, but usable.

Windows 10 and 8.1 are simmilar performing. Nearly all systems that run windows 8 can run 10, unless they are from the early p4 era circa 2004.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016

I am talking about my Mother's laptop and so Linux is not really an option. She is used to Windows and switching to Linux and learning them is just something not even remotely worth it plus no Microsoft Office makes Linux a big No in front of her, I know other apps like LibreOffice exists but she writes really important documents and so I don't want to take any compatibility chances.

Overall if Windows 10 can performs well on 4 gigs of memory then I will take your advice and install it. Thank you!

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Okay then. It was already slow on Windows 7 Starter because there was barely any RAM available (hence why I upgraded it) it was around 50-100MB available memory with the 2GB module on so that was why it was probably struggling. It should perform better with 4GB and a newer version of Windows, maybe I can tweak Windows to use less memory too? I am sure that's possible to some extent

Whatever the case, Thank you!