Windows 8 Beta Screenshots Leaked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be a ban on comments unless people have at least used the Dev Build for a minimum of a week. Personally, I have enjoyed using the metro interface, but have already played with turning it off, and it turns off fine with a simple reg hack (though I turned it back on as I have hated the start menu and avoided it where possible from day one of win95).

I have used 64bit on a desktop with no problems, used both 32 and 64bit on an Acer Aspire One with 1GB of ram with no problems on either (though it took forever to figure out the 1024x768 limitation for metro apps, and the netbook only does native res of 1024x600 unless you install the intel chipset/graphics drivers).

Just this week someone at work gave me an Asus T100MT (I think), which is a netbook (same specs as the Aspire One) with a touch screen, and converts into a tablet (very cool and useful!). While Win8 works fine on a normal setup, it is a while different experience on a touch screen... and a whole different game compared to the win7 touch screen attempt. It took some getting use to, but now I find that I am using the keyboard+touch instead of the keyboard+mouse, which really surprised me as I have hated all things touch screen so far in life (I swear, most phones hate me lol). and while in tablet mode I love the split keyboard for thumb typing. It works very well, though still not as good as a real keyboard it is much easier than the standard layout.

What really amazes me with win8 is just how smoking fast it runs until you run out of ram. Not a whole lot of difference on the desktop while I had it on there, but the netbooks ran much smoother with win8, and I will be running win8 on them until the final release when I have to pay for it (then it will be back to win7 probably). Once out of Ram though, they really bog down, and it feels like win7Basic always did. Perhaps it would be worth upgrading both to 2GB to solve the problem. The only other major complaint is the 1024x768 limitation. I really hope I can run metro properly at native res in the beta coming up, and cant wait to see what other changes they finally allow.

[citation][nom]crazypcman[/nom]windows lost me when all my old software was no longer useable at Vista, so its linux and windows xp for me. When XP stops just linux, I don't want to be bothered with buying all new software[/citation]
You do realize a lot of that was fixed in Vista after the service packs. Also win7Pro has excellent winXP/98 support for old programs (and even limited availability in home edition). Not to mention what you can do with virtual machines and such these days, and they are not that hard to set up like they use to be. Besides, if you are talking about production software (which is the only real expensive software) there have been a lot of advances in just about every major program over the last 6 years, so paying for new software would not be all that bad. Sure there would be a new learning curve, but the automation, and compatibility of newer programs far outweighs the issues of old software.

ukulele97

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
why I can't just have an empty desktop where I can left&right click anywhere and open cascading or forking application&setting menus? why i need to go start button (win7 or earlier) or use some freaking metro tabs (win8)? why microsoft???? windows - what a clutter fest!

e16 is still the best out there, but no gaming in linux :-(

/minimalist

G

Every single article involving windows 8 just leads to a flury of useless "I hate metro" uniformed, retarded ,restated comments. Fucking idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.