Windows 8 black screen with pointer after log in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo4869

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
A black screen has appear with cursor only after I install a skin for my windows 8 laptop. The screen started to blank after I patch the windows logo in 7tsp Alienware breed icon pack. I didn't realize that the skin is for windows 7. I know it's a bit stupid and I don't know why I'm really stupid at that day. I cannot do anything because the screen just turn black and a cursor appear after the login. Please help me how to reset it or what's the solution for this problem.

Specs for my laptop (what I remember):

Toshiba Satellite® L850
-Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5 GHz
-Intel HM76 (Panther Point)

-8192 MB, 2x 4096 MB PC3-12800 SO-DIMM DDR3-RAM (1600 MHz), 2 Slots, max. 16 GB

-AMD Radeon HD 7670M - 2048 MB, Core: 600 MHz, Memory: 900 MHz, DDR3, 8.932.5.3000

Hitachi Travelstar 5K750 HTS547550A9E384, 500 GB 5400 rpm

-Microsoft Windows 8 64 Bit

I hope you guys can really help me. I feel regret for download that thing. you can contact me at schinichi_kurudo@yahoo.com
later~ :)

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
This one is a little tricky, because it takes trial and error (and patience) to launch the Windows 8 ‘recovery mode’ when start up sequence is on going. What you need to do is, past the BIOS splash screen, hold down the Shift key and repeatedly hit the F8 key. Doing so should get you to the recovery mode, but it might take a few tries before you achieve that.

Once the Recovery screen is displayed, click the "See advanced repair options" button. In the next screen, hit the Troubleshoot button.

Safe-Mode-1.png

In the troubleshoot menu, click Advanced options, wherein lies Windows Startup Settings. Choose that.

Safe-Mode-2.png

The next screen will ask you to restart your PC, after which you’ll see the familiar Advanced Boot Option screen – the same one that’s been around since Windows XP – and you can choose Safe Mode here. Make sure you select Safe Mode with command prompt.

Once you're logged into safe mode and the command shell is open, type the following code and hit enter: sfc /scannow

Let it do it's thing and when it's done it will say 100% complete.

You can now reboot and your computer should function normally.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
The only other way to get into safe mode from Windows 8 is from inside Windows itself by using msconfig. I can give you the steps but as you said you can't do anything in Windows because of the black screen.

Do you have access to an installation disc? You could try booting into the disc and running the repair wizard.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Did you not read everything in the OPs first post? States specifically they can't do anything in Windows because of the black screen issue. And turning off fast startup wouldn't do anything anyways other than make the computer boot slower. The issue started when OP installed a custom skin, so it's an issue with uxtheme.dll more than likely. It's repairable by running a system file scan using command prompt but that would require getting into the recovery menu upon boot, which is very difficult with Windows 8.

Kudo4869

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

I didn't get any installation disc. The laptop has already installed windows 8 single language. do I need to buy the disc?

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Just keep trying to get into the recovery menu by holding shift as you turn the computer on and frantically mashing the f8 key. It is a giant pain in the ass, I know. I really don't understand why Microsoft made it so hard. It beats spending $200 on an install disc though.

Once you do get into the recovery menu MAKE SURE you pick safe mode with command prompt so that you can run the file check command.

As I mentioned above the only other way to get into safe mode is through Windows itself. There's an application for development and troubleshooting called "msconfig" which basically allows you to just check off the option of booting into safe mode and clicking apply. Next time you reboot, bam, safe mode. However if you can't do anything within Windows because you can't see, then it's really of no use to you.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
@John, Does that download work with a Windows 8 key though? Like, would they accept a Win 8 key? It came pre-installed on his system. And it says pretty clearly on the site you must be running Win 7, Vista, or XP SP3.

yes, I did read the OP. I just did not realize they had replaced a system file.

I was thinking this:
If they were booting from a hibernation image, fast startup exposed timing issues where the wakeup event to the video hardware was missed. Generally, you have to do a hard reset (pull battery and power) to boot, then disable fast startup to change the timing window for the hardware bug.

sorry if my answer offended you

yes, it should work if you have a windows 8 key. It should allow you to type in a windows 8 key or find your win 8 key in BIOS if you have one. This installer really does not care about your previous version of OS and can be used for a clean install of the OS.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

It's worth a try then I guess, but all he needs is to access the repair function in the installer not actually to reinstall.

Why did Microsoft have to make it so damn hard to access the recovery menu this time around? /sigh

Kudo4869

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
hmm.. actually, I'm just a 16 year old kid. not really clear what you guys talk about computer system. it's okay. I know a bit. I just follow what you guys says. but, I don't have windows 8 key because I'm not buy the windows 8. it was installed.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

There should be a sticker somewhere on the machine. Usually on the bottom of notebooks and on the side of towers.

Kudo4869

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

that's right dude. why microsoft have to make it hard to access the recovery menu? Really frick'in hard!

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Try doing a hard reset in-between attempts. Unplug it and take out the battery. Wait about 30 seconds and then pop the battery back in. Proceed from there.

many of the new laptops come with a windows 8 key in BIOS, you don't get the sticker with your key on it. The installer will look in the BIOS first then ask for a key if it does not find one. (for the link I provided before)

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Many :p but not all. I remember when Windows 8 was first released there was posts on numerous sites of pirates saying they had gotten illegal copies and peeled the stickers off display models at BestBuy and other stores to put on their PC and make it look legit.

Kudo4869

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

that's maybe a good idea. I will try my best. thank you apanzee and john. I hope you guys not feel trouble in helping me. But, if you found a better way, just tell me as soon as possible. :)

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
We wouldn't be posting if it was any trouble at all. This is a volunteer community, we do it because we want to help.

Basically you have two options. You can continue trying to get into the recovery menu and run the system file scan command I supplied on my first reply.

Or you can try the link John gave you and download the disk image. You would need to make a bootable disk, or a bootable usb stick.

To make a disk you'll need imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com
To make a usb stick you'll need isotousb http://www.isotousb.com

yes, a hard reboot is your best shot to get to the proper menu without having to boot on a separate Windows 8 image to do the repair.

lots of people try to get to the boot menu from a sleep state or hibernation state.
For the most part that will not work.

Lots of "black screen" issues are failures of the electronics / drivers to wake up from low power link states that windows 8 has turned on by default. (off by default on windows 7). You see a lot of these with laptops because they have a battery backup. Some systems have a Power button you have to hold 5 seconds to actually force a power reset.

the new windows installer will also give you the option to make a USB boot image directly also

Kudo4869

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

sorry, can you explain what is bootable usb stick or bootable disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.