Windows 8 by 2012 as Shown on Microsoft Slide

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Doesn't surprise me. One reason I held off Windows 7, because I knew they'd release another one in a couple years, and unlike most people who complain, Vista works fine for me.

mqz4

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Am I the only one to see no Vista on the roadmap. Wasn't it released in the last four years? So that means Win 7 is a release update of????

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Marcus, you need to edit this:
"As can be seen in the slide below, listed under "~2010" is "Major Release" for "Code Name 'Windows 8'"."

Its 2012. not 2010. Unless Im getting something wrong here.

[citation][nom]mqz4[/nom]Am I the only one to see no Vista on the roadmap. Wasn't it released in the last four years? So that means Win 7 is a release update of????[/citation]

The answer is "Vista". Just a great update that is. Win 7 is a perfected Vista more or less. Original Vista feel bad and useless after Windows 7.

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
" As can be seen in the slide below, listed under "~2010" is "Major Release" for "Code Name 'Windows 8'". "

it is 2012 not 2010.

[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]They did say they wanted to get back on a schedule of a new release every 3 years. 2012 is right on the mark as far as that goes.[/citation]

wrong! its title is "WINDOWS SERVER RELEASE CADENCE". it's about windows server release.

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
sorry, wrong quote.

[citation][nom]mqz4[/nom]Am I the only one to see no Vista on the roadmap. Wasn't it released in the last four years? So that means Win 7 is a release update of????[/citation]

read the title please.

hannibal

Distinguished
Win7 seems to be last in between windows between 32bit and 64bit world. Win 8 seems to be first pure64 bit windows. I am guite sure that some companies will stick on vista or win7 for some time, while those who don't need old 32 support will move on to win8 after sp1 or sp2... So it's guite ok to buy 64bit win7 now and upgrade to win8 in 2013 after sp1 or 2... It seems to be so that win8 will be the core of for 6 years, but face uplift after 3 years (win9) like vista was suposed to be, and win 7 just an face uplift...
Win7 is most likely better compatible to "old" 32 bit programs than win8, so it may be guite popular quite long time after win8 is released, but who knows. Maybe 32bit support is so important, that win8 has buid in compability support from the beginning?

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Lame. MS are such greedy bastards. In 2 years they want us to replace our OS again?! how much money do they need?[/citation]

Who's forcing you to upgrade?

anmjoven

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I just reported Windows 8 in my latest video podcast episode.

http://www.techconclave.com/express-1-windows-8-operating-system-looms/

I think it's rather too soon to release Windows 8 in 2012, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.