Windows 8 Consumer Preview Hits 1 Million Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Haven't downloaded it yet, no time. Probably download it sunday and try it then.

[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]good for them ... so far not loveing it ...[/citation]

Just for informative purpose's, what are the reason's why your "not loving it"?

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]Haven't downloaded it yet, no time. Probably download it sunday and try it then. Just for informative purpose's, what are the reason's why your "not loving it"?[/citation]

pain to navigate, no start menu / desktop / task manager is a pain to use... it's just horrible

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Wolley74[/nom]pain to navigate, no start menu / desktop / task manager is a pain to use... it's just horrible[/citation]

The desktop is there and it's fine. No Start menu? Right click the lower left hand corner, a ton of functions are there and if I can't find something I can start typing in Metro and it shows up immediately. The new task manager is also quite handy. From a sysadmin point of view I like the new server management console that's installable, it's very feature-rich in comparison to the tools provided for Vista and 7.

Problems? I have none. Accepting that it's the future of Windows is the first step. Using your brain and understanding what's there versus what you need to do is the next.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I am not sure I will be in the minority on this but I cant stand the Metro Desktop. I just find it extremely hard to navigate and use. We have used the same basic system of desktop navigation since 1995. I dont understand why after all these years it needs to be changed. Glaring example of how Windows 8 is much harder to navigate is as follows (unless I am missing something) lets open the C: Drive.

First: Open the Metro Window by going to the bottom left hand corner (far corner) and highlighting the small indent. This will pop up a window that will allow us to access metro window.

Second: We need to right click any where in the metro Window where there is nothing that will open a bar at the bottom that allows us to click all apps

Third Once all Apps has been accessed we have to click on Computer which will then exit metro taking us to the desktop with our drives showing.

All this for something that should be as simple as double clicking the My computer icon on the desktop.

This system might work great on a touch screen or on a tablet but I just don't see it working that great for the average user.

Personally I will stick with my Windows 7 unless Windows 8 is given a proper start button or the option to setup a proper start button. Worse case might have to look into going Linux if Windows truly does adopt this new interface access system and continues it down the road.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I will be skipping Win8 as long as possible and here's why. The current trend is mobile devices, and the problem is that everyone seems to focus on that now, instead of the traditional desktop experience. They seem to forget that PC's still exist. The Windows tile interface is useless to PC users. Ubuntu is going the same path. Unity sucks and HUD is bullshit. Here soon I will be switching to Mint. It's sucks, and I'm not going to encourage it.

For clarification I use Win7 on my desktop, and Ubuntu on my laptop (my main computer)

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
It's "interesting"...

I realize this is not the final build, but so far I'm planning on sticking with W7. If I get a windows phone ever (doubtful, GSII ftw..) maybe I'll use it for sync with the next xbox or something, but it's definitely wierd.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
If I want a smartphone OS I'll use my smart phone. Also I'm going to buy an OS that is based on micro transactions, (its coming with the "apps" for windows 8) Sorry.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]Haven't downloaded it yet, no time. Probably download it sunday and try it then. Just for informative purpose's, what are the reason's why your "not loving it"?[/citation]

its cumbersome , i find it annoying the "metro apps" don't have a close button or so far i have not been able to find it .... wich is odd since im pretty tech savvy, its really not mouse friendly , it looks bleak , if you have to do work on it you will be even more depressed, really the color scheme is horrible, unlike windows 7 that improved est-ethic wise over xp and vista. I like some of the enhancements they did to copy and the task manager but so far the cons outweigh the pro's by a lot.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I see that microsoft is "replacing" the start bar with metro....

But why force the issue?

Wouldn't it make more sense to include Metro as a frickin feature that can be turned off and on?
That way you can keep the stupid start bar and have metro or whatever....
Makes sense don't it?

Win8 is starting to turn out like Vista for other reasons..... and then... to make matters worse, they are doing it to Server 8 too.......... what a joke...

ukulele97

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
It doesn't appear to be designed as a usable desktop environment, but rather is a clusterfxxx of icons. Hei, but good luck MS with this flop.

/e16 driven minimalist

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
This UI is hard to use and unintuitive. It makes no sense unless you have a tablet or touchscreen. Without one, it feels like using android in a vm on a regular PC - not quite right, since you don't have optimal hardware. Plus, although the desktop is still there, it is crippled and you have to go into metro to find apps you don't have pinned to the taskbar or anything. I guess if it isn't broken you HAVE to break it! I think this will be Vista 2.0 (heck, the version number is 6.2!) and will fail. Expect manufacturers to be offering Windows 7 downgrades. I know for sure that, even though some family members' PCs are ready to be replaced, I won't be getting Windows 8 ones to replace them. And the ugly login screen and such just seals it's fate. Windows 7 is looking nicer and nicer and more like a BIG upgrade from Windows 8 at this point. (umm... shouldn't Windows 8 be the upgrade) I honestly prefer Vista (even without service packs) to this POS known as Windows 8. Enough said... Have ONE OS for desktops and laptops, another OS for tablets and smartphones. My desktop is NOT a smartphone.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]nbelote[/nom]The desktop is there and it's fine. No Start menu? Right click the lower left hand corner, a ton of functions are there and if I can't find something I can start typing in Metro and it shows up immediately. The new task manager is also quite handy. From a sysadmin point of view I like the new server management console that's installable, it's very feature-rich in comparison to the tools provided for Vista and 7.Problems? I have none. Accepting that it's the future of Windows is the first step. Using your brain and understanding what's there versus what you need to do is the next.[/citation]
And it's completely illogical. For instance, want to shutdown a Windows 7 machine? Click start, shutdown. Very similar to previous versions of Windows, right? And Windows 8? Hover by the right side of the screen where there are no markings AT ALL indicating it, click 'Settings', and THEN power, and shutdown or restart. To log out, go to the metro UI (which you do by hitting the windows key or hovering by the bottom left and clicking or hovering by the right-side of the screen and clicking start, no indicators to help you figure that out btw), click your username, and THEN logout/lock. Or with Windows 7, start, click the arrow right next to 'shutdown', and logout or lock. Windows 7 looks REALLY intuitive and logical in comparison. How do they expect most people to figure out those "hot corners" anyway? As a power user, I can barely figure it out. Dooming themselves for sure...

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]hotroderx[/nom]I am not sure I will be in the minority on this but I cant stand the Metro Desktop. [/citation]
I can reassure you, you will NOT be in the minority on this one. They had better include a workaround for a "classic" desktop or there will be many feeling alienated. Even though the "ribbon" was introduced in Office 07' and again a no workaround in 10', I still can't stand it and get used to it - choice can be good!

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I see that microsoft is "replacing" the start bar with metro....But why force the issue?Wouldn't it make more sense to include Metro as a frickin feature that can be turned off and on?That way you can keep the stupid start bar and have metro or whatever....Makes sense don't it?Win8 is starting to turn out like Vista for other reasons..... and then... to make matters worse, they are doing it to Server 8 too.......... what a joke...[/citation]
Or have windows like Ubuntu, and when you log in you have the option to log into metro or windows classic like Ubuntu had the option to log into Unity or Ubuntu classic. Metro is the worst thing since Microsoft Bob.

ts cumbersome , i find it annoying the "metro apps" don't have a close button or so far i have not been able to find it .... wich is odd since im pretty tech savvy, its really not mouse friendly , it looks bleak , if you have to do work on it you will be even more depressed, really the color scheme is horrible, unlike windows 7 that improved est-ethic wise over xp and vista. I like some of the enhancements they did to copy and the task manager but so far the cons outweigh the pro's by a lot.

I agree, you have to hit the windows key to exit the program which is annoying to do as I prefer to only use the mouse when using my computer and only use the keyboard when I need to input text.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
seems like metro basically IS the start menu. just glorified.

once i thought of it that way, i was much less opposed. i use the start menu search to find 90% of what i'm looking for...and my computer for the rest. search is just a letter away once you are 'in' metro-ui (again, to me, just a full-screen start menu).

not sure about application switching. i'm a big alt-tabber...but i think pointing and clicking to switch (left hand side of screen, if on desktop) will take some getting used to. so far, i don't hate it. admittedly, i've only poked around on it for a couple of hours.

on a side note, i think some of the navigation quirks may actually lead to people using keyboard shortcuts more frequently...in essence, forcing them to become more efficient. ha.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I hope Microsoft hears Windows 8's complaints. First of all, I'm not using Windows 8 on a tablet or a smart phone. I don't need a Metro UI on my Desktop. It's just a waste of time. Secondly, as far as the (absence of the) start menu is concerned, well, I'll give them that. I never use mine. It does look kind of awkward without it, though. Mainly, I still use Quick Launch, or a VB script file to launch the applications I use.

I still am not quite understanding the whole idea of a cloud. Lets say I install Crysis (sorry, had to use THAT particular reference LOL) on my computer, on Windows 8. Is my copy of Crysis only available on the same computer I installed it on, or is it available on any Windows 8 machine I login to with my Windows 8 login? What exactly is retained in the cloud?

luc2k

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I'm responsible for 2 of them, their stupid downloader decided the 32bit was right for me.. Uninstalled a few hours later because I couldn't get my sound drivers to work, not to mention the bad user experience.

G

Althougaswh you don't have a touch screen I think that windows 8 is still very usable. At first it was very difficult for me too and was hating it but after a while you get a hang of it and kget hte feel of it. So far I'm loving it. It don't think the Metro UI adds a significant amount of time. If you clean it all up and leave only what you use, eg. browser, games, office, its one click and go.

And if you still don't like it, especially on desktops, using keyboard shortcuts(and just normal keyboard keys) makes it a lot better. Not that bad actually. Recquires some initial learning but after its so easy navigating around. No need to use the mouse.

Aside from the metro UI, boot and shutdown speeds are amazing. For me its only 10 sec boot and 2 sec shutdown when in windows 7 it took me 30 and 10. Memory usage is amazing too. Limite to only 2gb max on this laptop, I only use 25% from my usual 50%. On my laptop, I only use 5% battery overnight(good especially because its really old). But on my desktop, I press the physical button.

I actually like windows 8 and don't mind metro but the onlything I'd change is remove hotcorners(annoying, i just press the windows key instead to go to the start menu), and I don't understand how people with tablets could use hotcorners effectively anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.