Windows 8 Consumer Preview on Feb 29, Claims Invitation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]would you mind telling the class what is wrong with windows 8? oh you don't know? well that not surprising coming from one of the morons that bashed vista when there was nothing wrong with it to begin with[/citation]

Nothing wrong with Vista and yet you talk about morons. lol So memory leaks that vista had weren't issues? You truly are an idiot if you can't even go back and reread all of the problems that Vista had, even Microsoft themselves admitted that Vista had problems. What are you going to call Micrsoft morons to? LOL.

Gee i don't know how about the Metro GUI in Windows 8 that hardly anyone likes. Have you even used Windows 8? Prob not. Or the fact that now Microsoft has done away with the start button now. How about the horrible ribbon menu layout that soo many people complained about back in office 2007, now on Windows 8. I mean seriously do you think people are just going to upgrade to an OS just because? LOL I guess you forgot about Vista's history or Windows Me history and how many people went back to the elder OS because there were soo many problems with those two Oses.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]LOL I guess you forgot about Vista's history or Windows Me history and how many people went back to the elder OS because there were soo many problems with those two Oses.[/citation]

And yet I've been asked countless times what was wrong with Vista, because those asking never experienced anything wrong with it. I had a ton of problems with it, but so did I when Windows 7 hit and refused to work in vmware (beta) and the rc and final couldn't install on my P35 motherboard without first unplugging all other harddrives than the one I meant to install on.
And within the last couple months 3 people have told me they liked windows ME very much. I don't agree with them, but point is - people get used to the systems and adapt.
I remember when the infectious piece of beep software called Windows XP hit, people wanted the windows 2000 ui back, and when SP2 hit, companies considered degrading to windows 2000 to get back to a stable platform. But nowadays when you think of XP with the SP3, it'll get a lot of praise, and nobody using it would want to go back to the windows 2000 ui.

People don't just upgrade for the fun of it, but once they're comfortable with the new os, they'll forget the initial issues it had.

ps. the office 2007 ribbon was made in anticipation of a wave of touchcapable laptop monitors that seems to never have hit retail. It was a good idea merely sent to marked 5 years too early. It WILL make sense on a tablet. Those just weren't prominent back then.

ps. my favorite os is DOS 6.22 followed by Windows 98SE and Windows 7 third. All the other iterations of microsoft os are sorta just test builds from my point of view.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Same thing it does now, absolutely nothingI think the standard keyboard is long overdue for an overhaul. There is no real need for a windows key, or a function key, or any of the F1-12 keys either. Eliminating these useless keys and remapping whatever prior functions they had to other keys could save a lot of space for laptops or newer tablets that could definitely use it.[/citation]

Windows key, and "nothing" don't belong in the same sentence for Windows 7 users. I use that key all the time.

Need to organise/tile running applications? Windows key and arrow keys.

Move windows across monitors? Windows key, shift, and arrow keys.

Need to launch an application? Windows key, one or two letter keys, mash enter.

Quick-launch/switch to an app on the taskbar? Windows key, number key.

See the desktop? Windows key and spacebar.

And so on.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]CrArC[/nom]Windows key, and "nothing" don't belong in the same sentence for Windows 7 users. I use that key all the time. Need to organise/tile running applications? Windows key and arrow keys.Move windows across monitors? Windows key, shift, and arrow keys.Need to launch an application? Windows key, one or two letter keys, mash enter.Quick-launch/switch to an app on the taskbar? Windows key, number key.See the desktop? Windows key and spacebar.And so on.[/citation]

And the two most important ones in a corporate world : Win + P & Win 6 L

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Same thing it does now, absolutely nothingI think the standard keyboard is long overdue for an overhaul. There is no real need for a windows key, or a function key, or any of the F1-12 keys either. Eliminating these useless keys and remapping whatever prior functions they had to other keys could save a lot of space for laptops or newer tablets that could definitely use it.[/citation]
If I didn't do anything but post on forums and play video games on my computer, then I might agree with you. However, I, along with millions of other people, use those buttons every day. Pretty much constantly, actually.

The Windows key probably gets used more than any other key on my keyboard, aside from letters and numbers. There are dozens of hotkey combinations with it, plus you can hit the key and just start typing to launch programs. The key is awesome.

Function keys, I also use all the damn time, especially in Visual Studio. F1 to bring up MSDN documentation for a function. F5 to debug the project. F7 to compile and build. F10/F11 for stepping through execution. Remapping those to other keys isn't possible, either. Visual Studio has an ungodly number of key combinations as it is, so many that they've had to resort to chaining them together to get enough combinations. Ctrl + K, Ctrl + D formats a document, for example, and Ctrl + K, Ctrl + C comments out a section of code.

Just because you don't need those keys to browse the web and play Call of Duty doesn't mean they're useless. Computers have a range of applications, and many of those applications need those keys.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Wow, the bandwagon jumping on the Start button thing is crazy here. It's the Start button. Quite honestly, it's not that big a deal. The menu's sill there, and i'm not even sure if that needs to be there still. As it stands, most people either have their programs on the desktop or on the taskbar from the first time they use it. The only time I really use the Start button is to shut down. It is a minor, minor, cosmetic change. Can we please stop this hyperbolic, over-the-top, complaining over every little change being proposed? I'm not saying every complaint is invalid, but do we really need such visceral reactions to absolutely every Windows 8 stories? It'd be nice to have a discussion about the actual practical implications rather than just flaming an OS few have even had a chance to test drive.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]If they remove the Start button, what will the Windows key on the keyboard do?[/citation]

send love letters from you to apple?

memory leaks? LOL you know windows vista has something called WINDOWS UPDATE where they fix things regularly? or did you have a memory leak because you are using version 1 of firefox and always have a million tabs open at once. either that or you are one of the morons that thought windows vista would run fine on a 20 ywear old XP machine that has an 800mhz CPU with 512MB of ram

FAIL

G

Windows isn't windows without a start button. I'm still on Windows XP because I can do things 2 and a half times faster on it than windows 7. I think MS should have just kept XP and made everyone renew their licenses for the same cost as windows 7 cause I'd rather pay for what I really like to use and not be forced to pay for something I don't like.

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Although I never hardly use the All Programs menu in the start menu, what I do is pin my most common programs to the start menu, and if I want to find a program I will search for it by typing a few letters in the start menu, this is one of my favorite features of Win7. This has made a lot of programs a lot quicker and easier to find for me.

What I want to know is how the average user is supposed to find there program with no Start Menu? I don't like having a cluttered Desktop or Task Bar, but it looks like we are going to have to since there will be no start menu to click on. Hopefully there is an option to turn it back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.