Windows 8 Downgrade to Windows 7 ASUS X45A

AsusDude15

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
Hello,
I have an ASUS X45A Laptop with Windows 8 x64 preinstalled,
I would like to downgrade it to Windows 7 x64,
I had a copy on a flash drive and tried to boot off of it, but it wasn't recognized in the Boot options menu, and then I tried putting it on a DVD and booting off of that, but, It wasn't recognized! I do have a DVD drive on my laptop.

I don't know if there is an option in the BIOS?
It only has an option of Windows Boot Manager, and that just takes me into Windows 8!

Solution
What you are doing is possible. There are videos on youtube to help. Also, you will need to get all the drivers for your laptop from the manufacturer (ASUS) in order for it to work correctly after windows 7 install.
What you are doing is possible. There are videos on youtube to help. Also, you will need to get all the drivers for your laptop from the manufacturer (ASUS) in order for it to work correctly after windows 7 install.

Solution
Laptops tend to have special drivers in them for certain items. If you were to overwrite those drivers, you might not find them available for Windows 7. The other problem is this. The registration key for Windows 8 is only good for Windows 8.

You also really do not want to go back to Windows 7 at this point. Support for Windows 7 ended on January, 13, 2015. There will be no further support or Updates.

You might want to upgrade to Windows 10, which will be released on July 29th. It is going to be free for most non-businesses.

vagrantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
there may be some issues with certain components not having win7 drivers, but that's a small risk, win 10 is interesting, but waiting to see what the full product is like..

have you looked at enabling legacy (if available) for usb options in the bios?
was the HDD set as the main boot order primary vs the usb/optical?