Windows 8 Finally Hits General Availability

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livingthedream

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Just picked up a new system today and noticed that there isn't any license sticker key on the bottom of the system. I remember reading a bit ago on Tom's about the new licensing agreement and was wondering how someone would go about reinstalling Windows 8 if they had a failed drive and forgot to make recovery media. I know in the old days I would just throw in a OEM disc and activate it with the key on the bottom. If I put in a OEM of Windows 8, will the disc go back to the system and retrieve the key and install the right version or did Microsoft just screw people in this scenario.

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
I already pointed this out at the other article, but I guess I have to cross-post.
Please understand that there is no performance benefit. No. None.

Boot speed, shutdown speed and the other yadda are just marketing buzzwords. If you ever used Windows 8 for a longer while (a week is enough) you will notice it's got the very same boot speed. Especially if you count that none of the benchmarks count the startup time as full boot. They count the time until Metro (Modern UI) shows up. Which means the desktop is not even loaded. It's like comparing a desktop OS with iOS or other mobile operating systems.

Other "snappiness" and whatnot. The UI is full of effects, animations, transitions. It's a fake sense of "snappiness".
Gaming benchmark? Hah. Some of the games won't even work, and the rest just runs with the same speed. (See the recently posted review.)

G

heck of a way to make a name for yourself

140 markets, 37 languages

and all of them staring in bewilderment and disbelief at the new ui

[citation][nom]richarduk[/nom]The stock Win8 drivers for AMD motherboards still have the QueryPerformanceCounter bug, you would think a new OS would have the fix for that by now!!!http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895980[/citation]

That's a firmware/driver problem according to your link. Why are you blaming MS for what is stated to be someone else's mistake by your own evidence? MS has made plenty of mistakes, so there's no good reason that I can think of for you to blame them for something that was (again, according to your link) someone else's mistake.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]hunshiki[/nom]I already pointed this out at the other article, but I guess I have to cross-post.Please understand that there is no performance benefit. No. None.Boot speed, shutdown speed and the other yadda are just marketing buzzwords. If you ever used Windows 8 for a longer while (a week is enough) you will notice it's got the very same boot speed. Especially if you count that none of the benchmarks count the startup time as full boot. They count the time until Metro (Modern UI) shows up. Which means the desktop is not even loaded.[/citation]
All of this is untrue. Maybe if you used Win8 longer than a week for a reason other than to verify that you hate it, you might have actually learned something. Most specifically, the desktop is loaded when you get to the Metro screen. Tap the windows key and you're there in a tenth of a second. Or launch your programs from the metro UI. The computer is perfectly usable when it gets to the Metro interface. Your insistence that they introduce greater variance by arbitrarily changing the point where they must stop measuring, and requiring human interaction to get there is as arbitrary as it is pointless.

Win8 boot times are much lower. Cold boot to desktop (yes, desktop) is 14 seconds on my machine. Close to 30 on Win7. And yes, I've used Win8 for more than a week. More like ten months, starting with the Dev Preview last year.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/gentlemen-start-your-benches-measuring-windows-8s-performance/

Take a look at the boot time benchmarks. Excluding POST time (which the OS has no impact on), their three systems booted 27% faster, 69% faster and 68% faster. Even if you include the ridiculously long POST on their gaming board (my gaming PC POSTS in less than half that time), it's still 12% faster booting, and that's the worst any of their systems did.

The UI is full of effects, animations, transitions. It's a fake sense of "snappiness".
Using a transition to create the appearance of greater responsiveness is an industry standard technique dating back to the early 90s when web browsers had to deal with pages that took minutes to load. It's used in pretty much everything now. Calling this out as deception smacks of you not knowing WTF you're talking about.

Gaming benchmark? Hah. Some of the games won't even work, and the rest just runs with the same speed. (See the recently posted review.)
I don't recall increased gaming performance being a selling point. In fact, I remember "Do not regress in performance" being the major goal, not an increase in performance. Seems to me like they delivered exactly what they said they would. More features for your computer without needing an upgrade. If you think those features are worth it, fine, just don't attack MS for not delivering on promises you decided that they made.

Also, the fact that some games are buggy on launch day of a new OS is to be expected, and probably more the fault of the game publishers than Microsoft (though without knowing details of the developers' Win8 preparation anything anyone says about this is speculation). If they don't get fixed soon, then it's a problem.

Look, Win8 has its problems and there are plenty of valid criticisms of it. Tablet centric UI. Loss of the most familiar method of interaction. Mandating use of an interface a lot of people don't like. Your post, however, did nothing but pretend the obvious advantages of Win8 (like the dramatically reduced boot time) were lies and set the bar so unrealistically high as to guarantee failure so you can attack it. Dishonest, uninformed and proud of it. Not something I'd personally like to be, but hey, live your life like you want to.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
It is very unfortunate that Metro is the sole reason many do not want Windows 8. I have to agree when people say they don't want it on their desktop... And I'm sure not downloading third party programs for features that should have been included to begin with.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
XP takes roughly 5 minutes to boot on my 5400RPM hard drive.

I'm very tempted to install Windows 8 for the reduced boot time, but I've gotta wait for my torrents to finish before I backup/format which should take some time (probably won't finish before 2013)

So yeah I think I'll use Windows 8. Doesn't mean I'll pay for it ;)

[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]XP takes roughly 5 minutes to boot on my 5400RPM hard drive.I'm very tempted to install Windows 8 for the reduced boot time, but I've gotta wait for my torrents to finish before I backup/format which should take some time (probably won't finish before 2013)So yeah I think I'll use Windows 8. Doesn't mean I'll pay for it[/citation]

Tom's doesn't condone digital piracy ;) There're plenty of legal ways to not pay, so I'd hope that you'll at least not pay in one such way.

[citation][nom]Burodsx[/nom]It is very unfortunate that Metro is the sole reason many do not want Windows 8. I have to agree when people say they don't want it on their desktop... And I'm sure not downloading third party programs for features that should have been included to begin with.[/citation]

Do you not use a non-MS web browser? Do you not use non-MS malware protection? Do you not use non-MS anything else? Do you honestly expect MS to give you everything? Sure, I think that they should have not gotten rid of the start menu completely, but I don't know anyone, regardless of how computer savvy they are, who doesn't use any third party programs. Beyond that, there isn't much that the start menu did that the Metro menu can't do nor that it can't do similarly quickly.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Tom's doesn't condone digital piracy[/citation]
I never said I was going to pirate it. However what I implied may or may not (I said may not too!) be a different story. Of course how I obtain my operating system is none of Tom's business.

[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]I never said I was going to pirate it. However what I implied may or may not (I said may not too!) be a different story. Of course how I obtain my operating system is none of Tom's business.[/citation]

I'm not incriminating you, but if too much such negativity goes on at tom's they might get into legal trouble, so although what you do is none of Tom's business, the implications of what you say on Tom's is Tom's business.

artbunker

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I'm going to just partition part of my harddrive out and try Windows 8 . Its only 250 gigs of space out 1.5 tb . If it sucks at least I'll only lose a small space on my Hd that I can shrink eventually. If I like it, ill just expand the thing.

Im hearing a lot of negative feedback on 8. I want to try it out first though. I dont believe in bashing something till I try it out first. Lets all remember forlks XP wasn't great when it first came out. We also know that Windows 7 Beta(Vista) wasnt decent till service pack 1 came out.

Windows 7 was good only because its beta(Vista) exposed all the weakness it had. I'm sure Windows 8 will be a great O/S once were all able to afford touch screen :). But even on a traditional desktop, Im sure its going to be a interesting experience none the less.

I guess I can be positive also because I have Dreamspark and can try this stuff out for free as well. But Im gonna give the ne

Status
Not open for further replies.