Windows 8 Has an 'Immersive' UI Browsing Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Ok, but, isn't that what "Ease of Access" for?

And why would anyone need that on a desktop, except for people that are already using "Ease of Access"??????

m0j0j0j0

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]crinkdude[/nom]Windows phone for PC[/citation]

lol just what everyone wants!!!!

i wonder if it will support copy/paste in the initial release, or just add the feature later like windows phone 7

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I don't want Microsoft to bring a Mobile experience to a x86 platform, unless they plan on using it for mobile or simple devices such as a first-computer owner or something to place in the kitchen to check recipes.

I like having a lot of things in a OS to play with, Bring on particle effects and fancy 3D screensavers with lots of eyecandy and awesome animations for menus.

Computers have the power, now bring on the effects.

G

Did Microsoft get into trouble before for integrating it's browser with it's OS? Now they are trying to integrate their search engine with their OS. I guess they want to get spanked again.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I don't want Microsoft to bring a Mobile experience to a x86 platform, unless they plan on using it for mobile or simple devices such as a first-computer owner or something to place in the kitchen to check recipes.I like having a lot of things in a OS to play with, Bring on particle effects and fancy 3D screensavers with lots of eyecandy and awesome animations for menus.Computers have the power, now bring on the effects.[/citation]
Linux has all that and more!

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Toms why the hell do you have to make a 450x338 pixel image 788 freakin' kilobytes? Some of us have limited bandwidth, you realize?

I've seen images almost ten times the dimensions with greater clarity to boot, and they were under 200 KB. Learn to use JPG. PNG's are just too large, and the quality difference is negligible.

Sorry about being off topic but someone had to say it.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
OK... so for real now.

Either all this stuff is for greater usability on a tablet or UMPC device, which is probably a good idea if they plan to get a bigger market share and actually make a splash in that area, or this is all just an April Fool's joke that hasn't died yet, or these are features of Windows Phone 8 and not Windows 8.

Although I suppose there could also soon be a Windows Tablet 8 just as there is a Windows Phone 7 right now.

gruntlord6

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
[citation][nom]m0j0j0j0[/nom]lol just what everyone wants!!!!i wonder if it will support copy/paste in the initial release, or just add the feature later like windows phone 7[/citation]
Or apple IOS, its not like microsoft was the only one who did that......

G

This is exactly what Microsoft need to do, bring their OS to the Various small form factor mobile platforms that are booming, I am looking forward to my WIN 8 Tablet with its optimized Mobile OS whilst having a similar connected experience on my much more customizable powerful desktop!

I like where Microsoft is going, they are looking to the future and preparing relevant products!, remember, this will be running on ARM, come people what a choice, and don't worry, the Traditional Desktop will not suffer or get cut down, Microsoft are not looking to Move markets to Mobile, their Mainstay is the Desktop OS and Office products, followed by Server business products! They are looking at adding a scalable mobile OS for the massive emerging mobile market to get a piece of the action there, and if they don't get it right, they will decline in the OS department for sure!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]m0j0j0j0[/nom]i wonder if it will support copy/paste in the initial release, or just add the feature later like windows phone 7[/citation]
and iOS (which took a lot longer)

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]Linux has all that and more![/citation]

Linux..ahh yes, the O/S where you'd be entering command lines just to call someone! yea, thats what we all need!

crinkdude

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]Linux..ahh yes, the O/S where you'd be entering command lines just to call someone! yea, thats what we all need![/citation]
:p

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]Linux..ahh yes, the O/S where you'd be entering command lines just to call someone! yea, thats what we all need![/citation]
How were you able to post this comment from back in 1979? The Internet didn't even exist then.

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]TopGun[/nom]When is Windows 8 supposed to be coming out? Will it make the price of Windows 7 go down when it does?[/citation]

No it will not affect the price of win7... Why would it? Win 7 didn't have any affect on winxp prices.
I am not sure of the release date, but it has been rumoured to come out late 2012 or early 2013. It seems to be more about cloud computing and mobile solution, so it is hard to say how much it will affect desktop installations.
Most propably win 8 should be better scaling alternative to win 7. Something from mobile solutions to desktop installations. If and when there will be allso ARM-compatible version of win8, it is interesting to see how Nvidia can come back to busines with their arm+gpu solutions vs intel cpu+gpu and Amd cpu+gpu that are based older PC architecture. It should increase competition at least!

G

A steaming pile can be immersive, if it's big and deep enough

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I don't want Microsoft to bring a Mobile experience to a x86 platform, unless they plan on using it for mobile or simple devices such as a first-computer owner or something to place in the kitchen to check recipes.I like having a lot of things in a OS to play with, Bring on particle effects and fancy 3D screensavers with lots of eyecandy and awesome animations for menus.Computers have the power, now bring on the effects.[/citation]

No, they should not. A perfect OS is a system you never actually see or feel running, because it's the programs you run on the os that count. They should make it as lightweight, fast and modular as possible without sacrificing basic functionality. And they should open up their window manager, so people can customize it with scripts out of the box, to actually make it useful. Personally, the latter point seems really important to me, because they haven't really advanced in desktop usability for a long time, especially if we compare them to gnome, kde, macos, or even lxde. They try to make it fancy, not usable.

And if fancy is all you want, that's ok. But you can get fancy for 30 bucks an hour as well.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I makes sense for MS to diverge OS's, instead of a one-size-fits-all
This isn't Windows 8, its just another Mobile Windows specially for tablets
That leaves the powerful desktop OS free for future development

But one thing I ask, please make it possible for users to install whatever version of Windows they want on their tablets, if I want to install Windows 98 on a tablet and be forced to have a USB mouse & keyboard attached to make it do anything that's my own stupid fault but its my choice.

G

"Learn to use JPG. PNG's are just too large, and the quality difference is negligible."

I can't believe I read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.