Windows 8 In Videos: An Operating System Reimagined?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
LOL reading the post for this article shows how much people are afraid of change. The product is not even final, no one has tried it thoroughly, but every one feels compelled to bash it.

I for one am interested to see if its easier to use for daily use. I never had a vested interest in windows 3.1, 95, ME, or any other OS that MS came out with. I think exploring new ways to make life easier is actually fun, and I think people who scream bloody murder, and call a product a failure because it does not do everything he thinks it should is rather sad.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]The only thing I'm looking for in the next Windows is how compatible it is and how light it is.[/citation]

Exactly, I have no interest in the Metro UI even though I have no issue with it as long as you can set Win 8 to a traditional desktop UI.

Also I hope that Windows Update is further refined because it usually is the only real source of problems for most users.... I would say far more so than the potential for any malware as long as you use a decent security suite and common sense.

I use Win 7 now and have been very happy with it, it's very stable, fast, and with only one exception WU has behaved itself, of course I haven't tried installing service pack 1 yet. Cringing!

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]LOL reading the post for this article shows how much people are afraid of change. The product is not even final, no one has tried it thoroughly, but every one feels compelled to bash it. I for one am interested to see if its easier to use for daily use. I never had a vested interest in windows 3.1, 95, ME, or any other OS that MS came out with. I think exploring new ways to make life easier is actually fun, and I think people who scream bloody murder, and call a product a failure because it does not do everything he thinks it should is rather sad.[/citation]

So do you need to taste a turd to know it's a turd?

[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]MS got everything wrong since Windows XP. Recent news is that Windows 7 just barely took over Windows XP Market. With Windows 8 coming soon, i see Windows XP somehow to be still dominant. That tells me one thing. People do not want what MS delivers. When you take Windows XP x64 Edition vs Windows Vista/7 and soon 8. They offer nothing worth over Windows XP.Speaking of Metro, worst thing ever.[/citation]

Sorry but thats wrong. Every person I have met who hated Vista loves 7. The only ones are just too stubborn to actually try it.

And XP 64Bit is horrible compared to 7 64Bit. It ha horrible support, most drievrs never were made for it and it still sucks at utilizing the current hardware because, well it was made when you had a fast single core and memory was barley pushing 256MB.

Put XP and 7 on identical systems right next to eachother and play with them. I guarntee that 7 is smoother and faster than XP.

And while it doesn't represent the majority of people, the Steam hardware and software survey is very good in showing trends. According to it, 7 64Bit currently has 41% of their audience and 7 32Bit has 9%. Together thats 50%. XP 32Bit has 18% and XP 64Bit has a measley 1%. Hell even Vista 64Bit and 32Bit together have more than XP 32Bit and 64Bit.

If anything that shows that enthusiasts and gamers like 7 and want it. Most businesses skipped Vista and went to 7. If they are still on XP, its because they are too cheap to upgrade thier programs that will only run on XP.

And while I may not like the Metro UI, I do think that its a great concept to try and unify their OS. Makes it easier for application support and such.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
In my opinion Windows 8 is the holy grail of OS. To all the Metro UI haters...get over yourselves already. Don't like the Metro UI? don't use it, there's a desk very similar to windows 7 you can easily access. To the guy swearing allegiance to Android, sorry dude I don’t share your view… I’m already planning to drop Evo 3d Android for a Win 8 phone. Moreover, I can’t wait for the Win 8 tablets, I was interested in one of those $99 HP touchpads…missed the fire sell, but now the only tablet I’d even consider buying must run Win 8. The ability to sync my desktop, laptop, smartphone and tablet in real-time has even convinced me to jump on board with the cloud. I’m very excited about Win 8, Microsoft is definitely on the right track.
Also, people this is Development Preview Software, that was shared with the public to give you guys a peek at what’s coming. But the purposes of releasing this now…nearly a year in advance of an RTM is to give Devs a chance to develop new apps for this beast so those apps will be ready to go live release day.
To those of you still running xp… you have got to be kidding me…lol

G

Wow! Some novice comments here. I'm pretty sure when it's released, you'll get Metro when you buy a smartphone or tablet, and Desktop (better description than "vanilla") when you buy a PC. Haven't seen a discussion of whether X86 apps must be ported to ARM, do they have a different extension? Is it easy to port? Will Acrobat and WinAMP have yet another supported O/S to support? I doubt you'll only be able to download ARM apps from the MS store, you'll probably get it from the developer website and choose your O/S like we do with smartphones today.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
[citation][nom]stonedatheist[/nom]inb4 metro haters: it can be disabled![/citation]

No, It Can't. It gives you the look of a classic desktop but its not functional. At all. This whole OS is a giant step backwards in advancing technology, period.

I do NOT like the Windows 8 Interface - period. I never liked 'Widgets' going back to Windows 98, turned it off in Vista after a week, and never used it in Windows 7 -- turned it off after NIS popped-in its' widget.

Now to INFEST the Desktop seems really CrAzY to 'me.' Hopefully, Windows 8 allows this 'stuff' as an Option Easily Disabled!!!

Further, I've never liked Full Screen IE and the 'Jumping Screen' is very annoying after

gooneryoda

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
It's Windows 3.0 again. Ungodly colors and windows you can't re-size. With the Metro interface sitting on top of Win7 just like Windows 1, 2 and 3 were sitting on top of ms-dos.

Going back to the future I see.

G

It makes me wonder if Windows 8 will be compatible with older programs, that's what I'm concerned about.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
to be honest, this is the first time i actually said to myself: hmm maybe it does have potential. i'm gonna wait until it's finished, and then judge it.

luigiman555

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Great, I'm really not excited for this. Of course I guess I could always just stick with Windows 7/Ubuntu. All I have to say is that, I HAVE A DESKTOP COMPUTER. I don't want a UI that's made to be accessible for touchscreens because I have a desktop computer. I want a UI made for a desktop computer, I want an OS made for a desktop computer.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Oh dear grud, MS is trying to turn the desktop into a giant mobile...
I do not want to see 'Apps' anywhere on my screen thankyou every much.
Simplify, simplify! More like, dumb-down, dumb-down... why not just
cut to the chase MS? Let's all use a piece of slate and some chalk.

I swear the whole direction of modern tech seems to be going backwards.
Sophistication is being removed. Access to the guts of the hw is being
eroded away, reduced to an 'easy' to use interface and an 'apps' culture
based on social media sites. Argh!

If this is how Win8 is going to be, then Win7 will be the last MS OS for
me. I liked the change from XP to 7 (skipped Vista entirely after trying
it out), but their currention direction just seems so unprofessional IMO.

luigiman555/bohleyk, I entirely agree.

Ian.

G

ok hands up who launches their programs from the start menu or just double click a desktop shortcut, the majority of folks i know launch and navigate from desktop shortcuts and quick launch toolbars, maybe it's about the right time to rethink the start menu

metro kind of grows on you, and once they add more functionality and customization to it i think it could well be much more useful then the old start menu, you just have to approach it with an open mind and a willingness to relearn how to do things

MarkD_1205

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I detest hand held tablets because (1) they have little/nothing to do with what I want to accomplish on a computer, i.e. learn more about how software/hardware work together; develop art/writing skills (personal development), manage massive amounts of info/data I've accumulated over the years, etc.; (2) they are expensive and require an additional monthly $ commitment at a time when the country's in a depression and I, for one, am low on cash; and (3) they merely represent to me a textbook example of the most successful marketing triumph in the history of consumer electronics - after desktops, laptops, netbooks and smartphones no one actually "needs" these things but the manufacturers have convinced many people (especially the kids) that they do and this fact only underscores to me how persuasive modern saturation sales tactics are and how alarmingly foolish people are to succumb to them. So now MS seeks to lure us to future sales of handheld/tablet products by forcing Metro on us before allowing us to use the OS lurking beneath it. I'll eventually have to live with it (since support will expire for older products) but I find it all rather troubling...

G

I don't think that claiming the better part of 26% of the tablet market in approx 8 months (pretty much since the Xoom kickoff) is "not making much of a dent". Apple reported this figure themselves at the iphone 4s launch. Many non-tablet apps are just fine, and the abundance of apps is overrated. There are more than enough great apps for honeycomb, and it simply doesn't need as many apps as ipad because of its more capable browsing.

G

Metro will feel more intuitive on a desktop when using something like the Apple Magic Trackpad and Logitech Touch Pad, or designer accessories like Trackballs and Navigators

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Install the Classic Shell program from Sourceforge. Ya know, that same program that gives Windows 7 the classic Windows 95/98 Start Menu? It works in the Windows 8 Dev Preview as well. Best of both worlds! Click the Start button = Classic. Point to the Start Button = new start menu into Metro.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
If Microsoft has ANY common sense you will be able to select whether your device is a desktop or tablet (during the install) then automatically turn metro On/Off and optimise default settings for the device you have selected.

If they make it so you have to actively seek the option to turn metro Windows 8 will fail. The majority of users don't want to/ don't know how to tweak the operating system and will just leave it at it's default settings.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
ok hands up who launches their programs from the start menu or just double click a desktop shortcut, the majority of folks i know launch and navigate from desktop shortcuts and quick launch toolbars, maybe it's about the right time to rethink the start menu

*Puts hand up*
I always have desktop icons hidden. Everything I run is either from the start menu or RocketDock.

Metro is butt ugly. Main reason why I don't want to get a Windows based mobile is because of the shitty UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.