Windows 8 In Videos: An Operating System Reimagined?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
People complaining about how to turn it off and such need to get a grip, its in Alpha right now. Wait for release. I'm sure these kind of things will be addressed.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
They should focus more on what does the "vanilla" explorer on Windows 8 offer better than Windows 7? A timegraph while I copy or transfer files is not enough! I hate that every new article I see on Windows 8 points it more to tablets than a well designed Desktop OS! I don't like those freaking tiles, I mean, I like them on my Windows Phone 7 but I don't want them filling up my desktop wallpaper.

G

Nice, but I own a PC. You dont buy games developed for console - then converted to PC. Like you dont buy an OS developed for a handy fashion toy - then released for PC. You buy stuff developed for the PC. Sorry MS, but this is not going to happen. Thx for Win 7! :)

bobske

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Perhaps it's a different world now with smartphones, touchpads and everything is cloud based etc., but forgetting who your core customers are, is a BAD mistake.

At the end of the day, what matters is how well it will run Crysis 2.

conquer7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I think it will be good for smart phones,decent for tablets, but not wort buying for the desktop/laptop, i think ill stick with windows 7 professional as there aint to many changes and metro is more smartphone/ tablet centered.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Guys its in Beta right now. Microsoft probably WANTS people using Metro and not disabling it right away, hence the reason it is enabled from the start. A beta program is something for you to test. It is not a program for you to use for a year. Microsoft has no real reason to beta test its traditional "start menu" software. As such it is not surprising that it is disabled on the beta. I would be surprised if this wasn't changed before launch.

G

To search for an program/app, rather than hovering over the start button and clicking search, just hit the start button (screen or keyboard) and start typing just as you would in Windows 7. You guys made it too complicated! (though admittedly it's not obvious)

[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Guys its in Beta right now. Microsoft probably WANTS people using Metro and not disabling it right away, hence the reason it is enabled from the start. A beta program is something for you to test. It is not a program for you to use for a year. Microsoft has no real reason to beta test its traditional "start menu" software. As such it is not surprising that it is disabled on the beta. I would be surprised if this wasn't changed before launch.[/citation]
Its developr preview. Not a beta, its still rough. It will have a classic.

G

I can't say there much to look forward to in windows 8, it all feels like a giant gimmick. mabie im being close minded. mabie all those people that say this is the future of os and that i shouldn't shun things that haven't even been released to market yet. But at the same time, i use my phone to check email and mabie watch a youtube video from time to time and not face roll noobs or write my research paper due in 4 hours for a reason. thats not what its for. just like i dont use my pc to slide ugly blocks from side to side because thats not what its for.

G

MS will come out with different versions for different devices or even different versions for different uses like they have in the past. I think the purpose here is to unify name recognition and information services between devices not make a desktop act like a phone. There is also more to Win8 then just a new interface if you read some of the other articles on this site they reference many new features under the hood such as better core and multithread management which will increase speed and battery life. Since its still pre-beta Im looking forward to where they take it from here.
t

thunderlord

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
i always HATED Vista, and i cant stand windows. it always crashes for me and freezes, and gives me a black screen, it looks pretty but for me on a laptop it is not stable one bit. i miss windows XP Professorial by far :(

and Win& has a Sevear mem leak. it hits Firefox3.5+ the hardiest, and my other programs keeps leaking mem.. i never had this happen in windows XP >_>

windows 8 looks all full.. and dont force a touch screen type program onto Desktop users.. i am for a hole new tuch screen screen. but let ppl adapt to that first before going more into desktops.. i see this going down hill and i dont see tuch screen screens hitting the computer any time soon... im more for Desktop computers turning into computer tappets/ ipads..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS