Windows 8 Includes Tablet Hardware Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
They are requiring LTE? Does this mean there are no WiFi only versions?
Going to lose sales if you try to make all of these mobile broadband only. I won't buy one with LTE or 3G or any crap like that, even Apple offers a WiFi version of the iPad.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Windows 8 Hardware Certification Requirements version 2013.

Any tablet is accepted. We need market share. I repeat. ANY TABLET IS ACCEPTED. PLEASE PUT WINDOWS 8 IN YOUR TABLETS. PLEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WE BEG YOU......

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]dirtyferret[/nom]can anyone recall a win OS with so little demand by the public as win 8?[/citation]

can anyone recall a time when there were so many good/great OS alternatives to windows? with all the linux distros, droid, iOS/OSX... people weren't going to wait around forever just to use a full blown windows OS on their phone/tablet.

Win8 will be a game changer in that people will be able to do office tasks on their mobile/tablet. just saying it will carve out a nice niche in the "mobile OS pie".

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dirtyferret[/nom]can anyone recall a win OS with so little demand by the public as win 8?[/citation]
Prior to launch? Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Windows 8 OS. Devices will need at least 10 GB"

10GB... is anyone at Microsoft actually reading this ?
We all know that the US population has an obesity problem; but has anyone noticed that this also extends to Windows ?

10GB is not 'bloatware' anymore. That's a serious health issue for an OS.
No wonder Windows is so insecure as it is virtually impossible to patch all the holes hiding in this piece of FatCode (TM) before Windows 9 is released.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]can anyone recall a time when there were so many good/great OS alternatives to windows? with all the linux distros, droid, iOS/OSX... people weren't going to wait around forever just to use a full blown windows OS on their phone/tablet. Win8 will be a game changer in that people will be able to do office tasks on their mobile/tablet. just saying it will carve out a nice niche in the "mobile OS pie".[/citation]
Anything productive on a tablet requires a keyboard. Once you have a keyboard with the tab, what is the point of the tablet over a laptop? The hardware being slow compared to even an atom based laptop sucks as well.

Might as well use a cheap/small laptop over a tab+keyboard if you plan on doing anything productive. Brazos based systems particularly come to mind as a better alternative to tablets with somewhat low power and high capability being a plus for Brazos.

This is not a lash out towards you. I just don't see where Windows 8 on tablets fits into the productivity aspect. It's more like Win8 on x86 based tablets has compatibility with software if you need to view certain files or make changes, but you don't necessarily need speed.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Can't wait for a Windows 8 ecosystem (PC/laptop/tablet/phone/xbox). This will be a game changer big time for Microsoft, no one else can come close to doing this. Very cool.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009

Can you name a time when Apple used there own OS??? Ill give you a hint it ends with a number below X and did not rip off the entire Linux community to keep the company alive.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Windows button on the bottom when in landscape orientation? Am I reading that wrong or is Microsoft stupid?

[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]Yay for a 10 gigabyte bloated OS thats meant to go on 30 - 60 gb ssds.[/citation]

"Devices will need at least 10 GB of free space" is not the same as "Windows 8 is 10GB big".
I guess Microsoft just doesn't want manufacturers selling cheap tablets with minuscule amounts of storage.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]Can you name a time when Apple used there own OS??? Ill give you a hint it ends with a number below X and did not rip off the entire Linux community to keep the company alive.[/citation]

You obviously have no idea what Mac OS X is made off.
There is not a single line of Linux code in Mac OS X. (The Mac OS X kernel dates back to the days of NeXTSTEP, which predates Linux by 1 or 2 years)

Parts of Mac OS X are taken from non-Apple sources, but it's hardly the majority of the code in Mac OS X.

btw: if anyone had "ripped off" the linux community, it's Google Android, but open source software is meant to me used.

grizzlebee

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Every time there is a Windows 8 article there are so many stupid comments.

It's been a long time since 10GB was alot of space for me. I have games that take up more than 10GB of space. Even phones come with more than 10GB of memory.

Having a requirement of 10GB does not mean installing it uses that much space.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I think Win8 arm if done right, can bring back netbooks in to a useful light. Imagine a 10.1 inch 720p netbook with Nvidia Tegra3, 2gb ram, a 64gb SSD running Win8.

You get an ultra slim netbook that will (hopefully) run 90% of the application non-arm windows can, yet it will totally silent (passively cooled), be speedy enough to multi-taks, and have a 12+ hours of moderate usage on a 3 cell 2200mAH battery.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"Windows 8 OS. Devices will need at least 10 GB"10GB... is anyone at Microsoft actually reading this ?We all know that the US population has an obesity problem; but has anyone noticed that this also extends to Windows ?10GB is not 'bloatware' anymore. That's a serious health issue for an OS.No wonder Windows is so insecure as it is virtually impossible to patch all the holes hiding in this piece of FatCode (TM) before Windows 9 is released.[/citation]

on a full desktop, 10gb isnt bloat, im assuming mainly to built in drivers to make evrything just work right out of the box in most cases. but mobile... the arm version should be no more than 1-2gb, and the x86, i hate to say it, should be quite a bit more, but not 10gb.

assuming you put out drivers for everything, and if you are anticipating only the tablets (true tablets not laptops with a touch screen) than even that shouldn't be as big of an os as 10gb... especially in an area where 8gb-16gb is the standard.

[citation][nom]grizzlebee[/nom]Every time there is a Windows 8 article there are so many stupid comments.It's been a long time since 10GB was alot of space for me. I have games that take up more than 10GB of space. Even phones come with more than 10GB of memory. Having a requirement of 10GB does not mean installing it uses that much space.[/citation]

considering that ios and android are both under 1gb, and i believe under 500mb, something 10-20 times bigger than them, is HUGE, and unless you are willing to shell out an extra 150-200$ for a 32-64gb device that will be dated in 2 years, than yea 10gb is a crap ton of space.

winie

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]They are requiring LTE? Does this mean there are no WiFi only versions?Going to lose sales if you try to make all of these mobile broadband only. I won't buy one with LTE or 3G or any crap like that, even Apple offers a WiFi version of the iPad.[/citation]

it says wlan is a requirment

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"Windows 8 OS. Devices will need at least 10 GB"10GB... is anyone at Microsoft actually reading this ?We all know that the US population has an obesity problem; but has anyone noticed that this also extends to Windows ?10GB is not 'bloatware' anymore. That's a serious health issue for an OS.No wonder Windows is so insecure as it is virtually impossible to patch all the holes hiding in this piece of FatCode (TM) before Windows 9 is released.[/citation]

Please, please, PLEASE tell me you aren't running Windows 7 on your desktop right now. Please.

That OS has a requirement of a minimum of 16GB of storage space. This is actually a significant improvement.

Sure this requirement is atypical for TABLET OSs but all this means is that it could push hardware vendors to develop, switch to, or in some way change their current storage setup to accommodate this. Whether that means installing hybrid drives, full on hard drives, or switching to a cheaper solid state technology it doesn't really matter.

I for one think that's a good thing.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]... will (hopefully) run 90% of the application non-arm windows can...[/citation]
more like 9% of the applications non-arm windows can.
Unless it's a full screen game or movie, I want my programs to run in a frickin WINDOW!

Blandge

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]on a full desktop, 10gb isnt bloat, im assuming mainly to built in drivers to make evrything just work right out of the box in most cases. but mobile... the arm version should be no more than 1-2gb, and the x86, i hate to say it, should be quite a bit more, but not 10gb.[/citation]

RISC programs require more code so why would the ARM version use so much less drive space? In any case, the required free space on the storage drive is 10GB. This means that Win8 should consume significantly less space than that. You say that most mobile devices are 8-16GB, well 16GB is 60% more than 10GB so than in 2H 2012 when Win8 comes, out 16GB should be about the minimum for devices anyway.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom] unless you are willing to shell out an extra 150-200$ for a 32-64gb device that will be dated in 2 years, than yea 10gb is a crap ton of space.[/citation]

I bet MOST people planning to spend several hundred dollars for a Win8 tablet would be willing to shell out $150-$200 for 32GB+ of storage space. The primary allure of a Windows tablet is that you can use it for content creation, so most will probably require significantly more than 10GB.

ranchwhere

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
fancarolina 01/18/2012 12:12 PM
They are requiring LTE? Does this mean there are no WiFi only versions?
Going to lose sales if you try to make all of these mobile broadband only. I won't buy one with LTE or 3G or any crap like that, even Apple offers a WiFi version of the iPad.

ummmm WiFi is actually WLAN, silly wannabees acronyms matter in IT.

dirtyferret :
can anyone recall a win OS with so little demand by the public as win 8?

dragonsqrrl 01/18/2012 12:21 PM
Prior to launch? Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP...

True dragon, you missed the real answers though, i.e. Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 (3.1 did pretty
well for the time). But the real MS crapper was Windows ME.

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Some of you are idiots. It says MUST HAVE AT LEAST 10GB OF FREE SPACE. Meaning that after the OS is installed and what ever bloat some manufactures put in there must be at least 10GB OF FREE SPACE. Not a minimum of 10gb total. Learn to read.

If you don't want bloat then by from Microsoft directly. You can shop at their online store or if you have on in your city on of their retail stores. They don't install anything extra on the pc's and have a decent selection.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
There is no such thing as Bluetooth 4.0 + LTE. The author made an error. I am sure that the document talks instead about Bluetooth 4.0 + LE, which is the low-energy initiative.

There is mention of support for cellular service in the documentation (GSM, CDMA, WiMAX, etc), but no requirement for such support to be included. Instead, the document outlines minimum driver support, power management support, connectivity,etc. to ensure that if the device is included it will work as expected.

The biggest issue I can see, is that the new devices will not give end-users a lot of options when it comes to software. These devices are going to be very well locked down, with pretty much zero chance of being "jailbroken." If MS starts charging $500k for a license to digitally sign apps, you'll have to pay it to write or install apps for your tablet. Any chance of running an alternate OS (or dual-booting to x86 Windows, Linux, etc) is effectively gone.

[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]They are requiring LTE? Does this mean there are no WiFi only versions?Going to lose sales if you try to make all of these mobile broadband only. I won't buy one with LTE or 3G or any crap like that, even Apple offers a WiFi version of the iPad.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.