Windows 8 key activation

TrojanPCs

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
Hello, I was given a copy of windows 8 off a friend. However he gave me no key so i cannot activate it. The keys he gives me don't work. I wish to upgrade to windows 10 but without the key i cannot do it. So should i buy a new key and if so how? Or should i buy a new copy of windows 10 and install it. If i do buy a new copy will i have to reinstall my games and apps?
Thanks

Solution
You will need to buy a new copy. You can either buy a Windows 10 Full Retail. You may not be able to upgrade since the mechanism for upgrading ignores the Retail key and instead evaluates the existing system. But you will be able to perform a clean install by booting to the Windows 10 media.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
You will need to buy a new copy. You can either buy a Windows 10 Full Retail. You may not be able to upgrade since the mechanism for upgrading ignores the Retail key and instead evaluates the existing system. But you will be able to perform a clean install by booting to the Windows 10 media.

Solution

drixkarasu

Reputable
May 13, 2015
You can upgrade from your Windows 8 if you buy a Windows 10 key, but you probably need another PC to create the bootable USB (it may not let you do it from a system without a key).
Once you start the Windows 10 installer from your Windows 8 it will detect your system is not activated and ask you for your Windows 10 key, once you insert your key it will allow you to upgrade without deleting your games and apps.

TrojanPCs

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

so should i just buy a new copy of windows 10?