windows 8 key is now tied to your windows 10?

Feb 15, 2016
I'm preparing to build a budget PC for my younger brother (parts are due to arrive tomorrow) all i need now is an OS. I still have my previous win 8 disc and product key and i was wondering if i can install that to my brothers machine, or is my windows 10 using up my product key?

Solution
When you upgraded your Win 8 install - it was made "inactive" and became linked to your Win 10 install.

Whenever you upgrade - you can't just go and install your previous OS/Office/whatever on another machine. Each machine needs its own OS license, that either comes with it (when you buy it pre-installed - HP, Dell, ASUS, etc.), or you go to the software isle (or website) and buy a fresh copy.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
When you upgraded your Win 8 install - it was made "inactive" and became linked to your Win 10 install.

Whenever you upgrade - you can't just go and install your previous OS/Office/whatever on another machine. Each machine needs its own OS license, that either comes with it (when you buy it pre-installed - HP, Dell, ASUS, etc.), or you go to the software isle (or website) and buy a fresh copy.

Solution