Windows 8 long startup speed

Tama Handika

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Hello all,

I used to have a dual-core PC running windows 8, and its work very well. Its startup speed is just around 5s that time.

Now i bought ani7 laptop and using windows 8 again. But guess what? The startup is very long compared to my dual-core PC. It tooks about 1minutes for my laptop to be ready for operating.

So i tried to manage the startup programs, but this is my first time using laptop and im afraid those startup programs is important for my laptop.

Please help me to decide which program i can close on my startup. (I have around 15 programs in the list)

Here is the list took from CCleaner :

Yes HKCU:Run IDMan Tonec Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe /onboot
Yes HKCU:Run Messenger (Yahoo!) Yahoo! Inc. "C:\PROGRA~2\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
Yes HKCU:Run Power2GoExpress CyberLink Corp. "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go\Power2GoExpress.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run ACMON ASUS C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\Splendid\ACMON.exe
Yes HKLM:Run ASUS InstantKey ASUS C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ASUS Instant Key\Ikey_start.exe
Yes HKLM:Run avast AVAST Software "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui
Yes HKLM:Run BtTray Qualcomm Atheros "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bluetooth Suite\BtTray.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run BtvStack Qualcomm Atheros Commnucations "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bluetooth Suite\BtvStack.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run CLMLServer CyberLink "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run HotKeysCmds Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
Yes HKLM:Run IgfxTray Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
No HKLM:Run PWRISOVM.EXE Power Software Ltd C:\Program Files (x86)\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE -startup
Yes HKLM:Run RemoteControl10 CyberLink Corp. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD10\PDVD10Serv.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run RtHDVBg Realtek Semiconductor C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVBg64.exe /MAXX3
Yes HKLM:Run RTHDVCPL Realtek Semiconductor C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe -s
Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched Oracle Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run UpdatePSTShortCut CyberLink Corp. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"

Thanks for your help :D

Solution

Most of the startup speed increase in Windows 8 is attributable to changes in PC firmware which enable it to skip certain routines that were previously performed on every boot. To provide compatibility with older hardware (and by older, I mean stuff that's currently more than a year old) most new firmwares contain a compatibility layer which can slow down the boot speed. If you had purchased your dual-core PC from an OEM vendor such as Dell, Asus, HP, or Lenovo it's possible that the compatibility layer was not needed as fully compatible components were used. However, if your new i7 laptop contains components that require the compatibility layer, the boot speed will be impaired but still faster than Windows 7.

The best way to determine if your laptop is fully compatible with the new Windows 8 boot chain is to look for a "Windows 8 ready" or "Windows 8 certified" sticker on the frame. This will indicate that it has met all of the requirements that Microsoft has set out as far as hardware compatibility goes, and should not feature any compatibility layers which will slow down boot.

As a side note: Disable all of that DVD and remote control crap if you don't use it, remove that download manager, remove Avast (Windows 8 has a very capable built in anti-virus), and remove PowerISO (Windows 8 contains its own built-in ISO loader)

Solution

Tama Handika

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

Thanks for your help :D

If i disable the DVD, will i be able to play a DVD?

Most likely. That's mostly just startup crap that's quite worthless. None of it is in any way integral to DVD playback as that's done through libraries which are loaded along with the player.

I recommend using VLC player or XBMC for DVD playback anyway.