Windows 8 May Feature Cloud Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Speaking as a professional software developer myself, there's no way this could be targeted for Windows 8 in the timeframes Microsoft wants for releasing successive OS versions. Windows 9 is the likelier target I expect.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Yeah cloud backup OS integration is a brilliant idea...just like Bitlocker, Movie Maker, WebHost, Outlook Express, and a whole host of other crap they bloat the OS with that takes 2 hours to clear off and turn off after a "fresh" install.

Here's a smarter idea than relying on hyper-slow online backup uploading....pop in a $30 32 GB flash drive or a $60 1 TB external hdd and have everything you want backed up locally in minutes. Congratulations MS, I just saved you the cost of someone's salary that would have been spent developing something completely useless.

randomizer

Champion
Facebook knows who you are, Google knows what you want and Microsoft will soon know what you already have.

Resistance is futile.
the-borg.jpg

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Facebook knows who you are, Google knows what you want and Microsoft will soon know what you already have.Resistance is futile.[/citation]

Interesting reference. This distributed networking "thing" looks great in paper. When something unplanned happens, then what? Who is held responsible.

In the words of Locutus of Borg from the "Best of both Worlds: Part 2"...

"... sleep, ....Data...."

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]What if Microsoft looses sensitive info...?WHAT if I BSOD? GOSH![/citation]

Windows 7 almost NEVER BSOD's. Personally, I've only had it BSOD ONCE, and that was coming from a application that WARNED ME it would BSOD Windows 7, and that there was an update I should install after my next log-on and reboot.

Sounds very exciting. My only concern is how much the engineers had to re-engineer the Windows platform for this to function with any decency. Windows wasn't made for this, after all.

Then there's the ISP connection speed/transfer caps to take into account. Users in Japan/Korea/etc. have 1Gbps fiber-optic internet nearly standard; many users in Australia still live on 1.5Mbps.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Yeah cloud backup OS integration is a brilliant idea...just like Bitlocker, Movie Maker, WebHost, Outlook Express, and a whole host of other crap they bloat the OS with that takes 2 hours to clear off and turn off after a "fresh" install.Here's a smarter idea than relying on hyper-slow online backup uploading....pop in a $30 32 GB flash drive or a $60 1 TB external hdd and have everything you want backed up locally in minutes. Congratulations MS, I just saved you the cost of someone's salary that would have been spent developing something completely useless.[/citation]
For businesses it's very good, specially for the small companies. This way they have a backup stored in a safe location. I had a client that stored all the backups of their server on an external disk right beside the servers. One they they had a fire and lost every data on the server and backups. If they used online backups at least their data would have been safeguarded. A backups in a cloud will always be in a much safer place than in an external HDD.

Also nowadays Windows 7 only come with bitlocker (if it's the ultimate or enterprise version). All other programs you mentioned are not included in Windows 7. Unless you install them. Also having other programs installed besides the OS is a very common practice for OS developers.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well I have to agree with the iamtheking123. It would make much more sence to force user select the back up source (or ignore it willingly) when installing os, than making one method automatic (even when it is not sensible: you don't trust the source, you have very slow connections etc...)

existencenow

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]existencenow[/nom]All i have to say is simply .. LOOKOUT PIRACY AND CP! You're going DOWN and hard![/citation]
On a second thought.. About EFFING TIME! Just maybe.. by controlling the thieves the world will just become"Sail the ship,
Boom, bam, boom
Chop the tree
Boom, bam, boom
Skip the rope,
Boom, bam, boom
Look at me

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Well, I´m not joinnig this trend for cloud, I like privacy and staying offline.

1 question (this is the case of begginers):
if "a possible scenario could require customers to set up a Live account (or use an existing one), purchase an access key (or register if Windows 8 came pre-installed on a new PC), and download the OS when needed later, similar to purchasing games from Steam. There would be no need for discs or permanently storing installation files on the HDD." What if I don´t have an SO installed, how will I download the OS when needed if I have no SO to start from.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Alot of this is very perspective, nearly everything is, but there is gotta be a place where the perspective is narrow and dim and within purpose of the product in question. Cause after that, everything gets bigger, and what interests are involved with what kind of size of issues should post accordingly, as done so far. Everyone problem has a fire issue to some point rather to worry about it or already had the problem. In terms of lose in a fire where is going to be the biggest lose and which probably first? Outside lets say basic worries of expanding software and further use of OS applications and purpose, How will anyone one person of use of cloud software benefit? Its a hard question to answer without seeing a bigger picture of use and only allowing a perspective of greater gravity to hold its weight when in all things if 8 comes out "cloud" services or software will be included. Again even with cloud computing still addresses many basics issues with some application no matter what rather cloud computing is now a standard within releases and applied for intended purposes of use of feature highlight. They sell at a pitch point but you cant use a point of the pitch on your own regards. Also in terms of OS intergration of software, how much of an increase of OS prices should this aquire? Or will the Os maintain is standard say release prices as had been over the last for yrs? Is probably the one thing in computing offhand people might not complain about in terms of prices and OS. So how think alot of people have gotten their moneies worth in Windows and more. So there isnt much room to complain, until you actually get to using something you had bought it for. It seems more of an addition to wireless without the wireless really, and in terms of wireless there isnt much room to work with in there, so why would cloud services be any different?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]existencenow[/nom]All i have to say is simply .. LOOKOUT PIRACY AND CP! You're going DOWN and hard![/citation]
Hard, yes...down...well, that'll happen in prison. LOL

dante01010

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I think they should be worry on make a much faster and secure and a better interface instead of put a lot of stuff, at least i hope they replace the crappy NTFS file system with a really fast FS like EXT4

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Yeah cloud backup OS integration is a brilliant idea...just like Bitlocker, Movie Maker, WebHost, Outlook Express, and a whole host of other crap they bloat the OS with that[/citation]

A fresh install of WIn7 is fantastic if you ask me. Plus, maybe get Pro instead of Ultimate as I'm sure that you're aware of Bitlocker only being in Ultimate/Ent versions. Moviemaker and Outlook (Mail) are no longer included in windows.

Maybe you haven't used Windows 7 and are forming your opinions on Windows XP or what you've 'heard'. Shame.

P.s. OEMS are the one's that fill Windows with bloat, not MS.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Windows 8 will be a poor OS anyways, wait for Windows 9, where all the touted features of windows 8 actually work.
Don't buy Windows 8 (millenium edition).
MS is really behind the times, we should have PC's that talk to us like the Star Trek ship's computer by now.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]cletus_slackjawd[/nom]Windows 8 will be a poor OS anyways, wait for Windows 9[/citation]

How do you know? MS won't make the same mistake again

[citation][nom]cletus_slackjawd[/nom]MS is really behind the times, we should have PC's that talk to us like the Star Trek ship's computer by now.[/citation]

Have you used the speech facilities within Win7?

Status
Not open for further replies.