Windows 8 May Have Fewer SKUs Than Windows 7, Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
they would even have less SKU's if they got rid of the 32bit Editions. I mean, there is really no point in 32bit Editions anymore. CPU's have been 64bit in the mainstream market for the last 7 years now since AMD's Socket 754 Athlon 64's and Intel's LGA775 Pentium 4 5x1 series. The vast majority of software supports 64bit now, It's time to move on. By continuing to support 32bit, all that days is continue to hold back 64bits full potential.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
There are some cost and performance advantages of 32bit. Win7 isn't the memory hog of vista, so for most people - 64bit and 5+ GB of RAM is severe overkill. Yes 8GB of RAM costs about $30~40 nowadays... but most people won't and don't user it. I do web work, video encoding, photoshop, etc a lot of it at the same time and my Win7 systems very rarely ever runs out of RAM. Only Supreme Commander can wipe out my 4GB on large maps. I'll admit that when I upgrade to Ivy Bridge from my old Core2 - I will most likely go 64bit Win7 with no hurry to move to Win8. But I will be sticking Win8 Preview on one of my test systems and see how it runs... so I may change my mind later... perhaps upgrading later and using Win8Beta. (I used Win7beta as my main OS for months after RTM)

There are still some devices, odd-ball stuff out there that DOES NOT work with 64bit OS. Some older games totally bomb with 64bit as well.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I am so glad that MS listens to me (yeah, right)... It was always STUPID to have Win7 basic Home and Premium Home. It was confusing... they could have simply have Basic, Home, Pro, Ultimate.

It seems that MS is merging Basic/premium into "Windows 8" and Pro/Ultimate into "Windows 8 Pro". This is great! The only features I want out of Ultimate are the language packs so when visiting sites NOT in the USA, you don't see garbage! Overall Win7Pro handled everything most people needed with Ultimate being a big jump in price with so little to offer.

Looking at online PC purchases, even $350 crapbooks from HP include 4GB RAM with Win7Home premo 64bit... So we can conclude that everything that is name brand will be 64bit be default. I cant see Win9 supporting 32bit. Other than a few straggling programs, there is no need for 32bit versions... and for some companies, that is a hard pill to swallow (But why are they wanting to use Win8 with old software?).

I also guess that MS discovered that pretty much NOBODY ever used MS's stupid upgrade system (built in or gift-card). Sometimes DL upgrades / full purchases suck... An EX stupidly bought Win7 Download rather than buy the stupid disc... headaches.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
I'll probably sound crazy, but I just want a real, true, 100-percent, "win98se like" customized install. I want to choose the components manually.

[citation][nom]ethaniel[/nom]I'll probably sound crazy, but I just want a real, true, 100-percent, "win98se like" customized install. I want to choose the components manually.[/citation]

to save a couple mb of space? pffftt

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I'll give you an example why there is still 32bit. We use Avaya IP agent for our laptops as part of our Disaster Recovery plan, phone coverage, etc.. Well there is no 64bit version of that software and there will be none. And since we already own a license and they aren't willing to go out and buy a new license due to costs.

That is just one of many pieces of software where I work that do not work on 64bit. Many enterprises and other companies still have software that only work on 32bit platforms, so it still behooves Microsoft to produce a 32bit version of the OS.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Microsoft please discard 32 bit support on Windows 8 Its that 32 bit support makes our lazy software developers stick at developing 32bit programs. I don't think there would be any pentium 3 computers install windows 8. There is no need to think of the compatibility of old 32bit CPU's any more.

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Honestly, this should be dwindled down to 3 versions.

Microsoft Windows 8 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64 Edition

Offer one version of the OS in 32-bit, which will give you the basic install for those that only want a 32-bit OS. Then offer the Enterprise and Professional in 64-bit only, because honestly no one will want those versions in a 32-bit.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Microsoft has never understood the principle of keeping things simple. There should be 2 versions of Windows 8, max. Consumers don't want to sit and try and figure out what version of Windows to buy.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]Then offer the Enterprise and Professional in 64-bit only, because honestly no one will want those versions in a 32-bit.[/citation]
Not true, many Enterprise users will want 32-bit copies.

I understand why everyone is crying out to end 32-bit versions of Windows, but it would be a bad idea for Microsoft. I can think of 4-5 pieces of software at work that ONLY run on 32-bit Windows and will not run on 64-bit. Honestly all of that older 32-bit software we have is still on Windows XP machines until we have the money to buy new hardware, but the newer versions that do support Windows 7 only run on 32-bit Win 7.

If you remove any 32-bit version of Windows, remove the Win 8 Professional version. But then you are only removing one version, so might as well have 32 & 64 on every version. I can see 32-bit versions of Windows disappearing in the not so distant future, but Windows 8 is not the right time to do it.

[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Microsoft has never understood the principle of keeping things simple. There should be 2 versions of Windows 8, max. Consumers don't want to sit and try and figure out what version of Windows to buy.[/citation]
I actually agree with this, though I don't see Microsoft simplifying it that much. But they should just remove the Professional version and stick with standard & Enterprise. Make Enterprise only available with volume licensing, and bam, the normal consumer is left with only one choice: to get 32-bit or 64-bit.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]ethaniel[/nom]I'll probably sound crazy, but I just want a real, true, 100-percent, "win98se like" customized install. I want to choose the components manually.[/citation]

Like whether or not you want Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer installed? Yeah, just like Win98...oh wait

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]to save a couple mb of space? pffftt[/citation]

Not a question of MB savings; also M& is of course the King of bloatware.
But why should I install Media Player and Internet Explorer and Office Trial Promo and Outlook and Screen savers and Games etc. and than later painfully remove them one by one; only to wonder how many DLLs have not been removed and are now sitting around doing nothing - or worse- will be found out to be a perfect backdoor for a hacker.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I can simplify it even better:
Windows 8 32-bit (enterprise/business use more than likely)
Windows 8-64 bit

Why do we have so many different versions? For the most part, Microsoft does nothing more to make them that much better. There is only one version created by Microsoft (the overpriced top-dog), and you get more features taken out the lower on the totem pole you go for pricing. Obviously 32-bit and 64-bit necessitates a different product created, but does anyone else remember where when you had Windows OS on your computer, you just had.......Windows; and not all these money-grabbing opportunity versions?

G

enterprise really needs to make the transition to 64bit, are we truly going to try and hold onto 32bit application for another 10 years, if the application will never see 64bit then it's time to initiate a migration to an application that does, if you really need to hold onto your 32bit applications for a little bit longer stick them into a virtual machine running XP, of all places i think the enterprise will reap the benefits of a 64bit OS

G

@matt_b

and i would love to agree with you but for one thing, netbooks/netops...... the definition of the PC has significantly changed since the windows98 days, the depth and breadth of devices are now pretty amazing, devices like the raspberry pi, it does not makes sense to pay half to a third the price of the device just for the OS

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Nakal[/nom]I'll give you an example why there is still 32bit. We use Avaya IP agent for our laptops as part of our Disaster Recovery plan, phone coverage, etc.. Well there is no 64bit version of that software and there will be none. And since we already own a license and they aren't willing to go out and buy a new license due to costs. That is just one of many pieces of software where I work that do not work on 64bit. Many enterprises and other companies still have software that only work on 32bit platforms, so it still behooves Microsoft to produce a 32bit version of the OS.[/citation]
how about getting off a product thats been EOL'ed and move on to One X, your reasoning is the same reason 32 still exists. Your not entirely to blame though, your company needs to pony up and Avaya is insanely expensive! By the way, if its your company policy for disaster recovery, im assuming that you are following some kind of policy (PCI DSS or similar?) if so, most compliance policies, whether or not goverment regulated require ALL vendor software to be able to receive needed updates. That being the case, you Avaya IP software agent no longer qualifies and your out of compliance. If anything, telling your bosses your out of compliance may force their hand at purchasing the new software. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.