Windows 8 Not Much Help For Depressed DRAM Industry

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ssds can't replace ram, their read/write cycles will catch up with it and its far slower then even ddr

[citation][nom]m1n3kraft[/nom]ssds can't replace ram, their read/write cycles will catch up with it and its far slower then even ddr[/citation]

I've already mentioned OCZ'd 12TB PCIe SSD that can compete with DDR3 in bandwidth and has latency so low that it doesn't matter if DDR3 is still lower latency or not. Furthermore, depending on the SSD, you'd have to write a lot of data to even begin to wear out the flash. Furthermore, no one said anything about SSDs replacing RAM anyway and besides that, an SSD doesn't need to be made of NAND flash- an SSD made of a different memory technology such as MRAM that is able to be made much faster per cell than DRAM in addition to being extremely durable.

Also, the only above comment that even comes close to being relevant to what you said, the comment that mentioned potentially not needing as much RAM because you could use a paging file on an SSD to have far better performance than such a paging file on a hard disk drive, is correct, although I would rather buy a little more RAM than put a paging file on an SSD. It doesn't matter that consumer SSDs are much slower than even DDR RAM because they're still plenty fast enough for the job of paging file storage whereas hard disk drives are not these days.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I remember when my system had 2M of ram... ya, Meg... Way before many here most likely... Now my editing box has 32G... (32000M...). That's quite a jump.

STILL, one big problem is the simple limit of the boards today. With memory being so cheap in the last few years, most people 'in the know' filled up their systems just for the giggles and the $20 (so to speak).

Even if they could use more, their systems probably can't handle more and/or they'd have to change out all of their sticks for larger ones... Their 4-6 slots are full. And honestly, anyone with 8G of ram is doing just peachy unless they are like me and doing the rarer tasks. And memory prices being what they are, my HTPC has 8G... So does my wife's otherwise pathetic laptop... I'm not sure why they would even think, with today's particular tech setup, that Win8 would sell more ram... Really doesn't, in this particular day/case, make sense... To me...

People who have more than like 2GB or so and run out of memory often are few and far between relative to the general populace. Most people simply aren't running into system memory capacity issues and that's with much lower capacities than 16GB too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS