Windows 8 not working right, at all

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Basically from day 1 it's been having issues. It keeps saying it never shut down properly. I use Settings > Power > Shut down. Well, if that's causing it to think it lost power how else are you supposed to shut down!!!?

Got 16 cases of Kernel-Power error even though I shut down correctly

Got BSOD (Memory_Management) when waking from sleep. No errors found by memory diagnostic (Although it never told me because the little window that's supposed to come up never came)

Got shadow copy failures

I know my hardware works fine, because all the problems starting when I installed 8 (except for when it emergency shutdown during a mobo update, because the CPU overheated, that was genuine), but Windows 8.1 is ruining my beast of a build!

How do I fix this, tired of it already, 3 weeks in

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
No no, everything was bought new for the build including OS. I installed the OS onto the hard drive, but then I got another one and wanted to switch the C drive (which is where the clone process came in), all the hardware was the same, just the original C drive was being demoted. My problems had been going since about day 1 (most of the time it would work fine, but there was a Persian error 41, without any actual crash, and a load of programming crashes in event log and reliability monitor). All the hardware was still the same from when it first went live. As last resort I clean installed (this was after the blue screen) and that's fixed everything up. The hardware did not change at any point apart from the addition of a hard drive and WiFi card

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Stuff is still a little broken. Computer failed to wake from sleep mode, instead got a black screen and then it killed itself (shutdown by killing power) and then there's another one on the same day where it says it shutdown unexpectedly (what actually happened was it went into sleep mode because it had been idle for an hour due to Steam downloading a game). If I turned off Hybrid Sleep would that solve it?

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Now reliability monitor is not downloading the solution. Brilliant. Should have just gone with Windows 7. From the moment Windows 8 hit that infinite install loop, stuff hasn't been quite right (after clean install, it looked like it was all fixed, but some problems are back again)

cyborgcity

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I reinstalled it again as well but it crashed within 20 minutes. I was thinking it could be an issue with my amd video drivers, so I deleted all the drivers but now I can't install the latest one, 13.12. The amd website won't let me. So I may have just created another problem for myself, man I'm sick of this, i didnt have these problems last year with windows 7.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
I'm testing my hardware now if that's what you're suggesting, but searching these problems online shows loads of people have suffered the same issues, so I'm inclined to believe it is 8 at fault unless you can tell me what it might be (beyond the problem is not 8 which of so helpful, thank you)

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

I was troubleshooting Windows to see if it could be that, then moved on to hardware (which is passing all the tests)

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
It's an official legit Windows 8.1 full retail disc ordered off Amazon. My issues when you look at them seem to stem from the shutdown, sleep and hibernate features like I said on my other thread. Turning off fast start fixed E41, but hybrid sleep is still on (Which who knows could be causing the issues. I mean if turning off fast start fixed E41 like that then who's to say this won't). Funnily enough when gaming it's perfect (some frame rate drops but I am playing Titanfall Beta and the other two games are Sims 3 (yes I know) and Borderlands 2, only two of which sometimes have unstable frames), but ask it to do the regular stuff that's when the random errors come out. Majority of the time though it's absolutely fine in operation.

What would minimum hardware be (1 RAM stick, no GPU?)

USAFRet

Titan

So this "absolute disaster" of Windows 8 isn't that much of a disaster?

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

Well, the errors that occur are concerning enough to generate the thread, because I left it for weeks and would like to fix it, because it is a new machine. It was having a number of errors reported daily in Reliability monitor before clean install which lead to me thinking 8 is unreliable and the BSOD made me think there's a serious problem somewhere. Clean install and turning off fast start after a bit of digging fixed all but one issue (the sleep mode problem). But now you say it that way, it doesn't seem like it's as big a problem as I thought. It was just the sheer number of consistent errors showing up in the reliability monitor (up until clean install and some settings tweaking). Perhaps thread title is a bit overdramatic?

cyborgcity

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
It seems like the factory reset or clean install has fixed the dreaded 8.1 issue. I've had the OS running straight for 40 hours so far with no blue screen or hangs. Before this I was getting a crash almost twice within 24 hours. This time round though I didn't **** around with the drivers and utilities too much, only installed the current GPU driver and the current Intel chipset drivers. Everything else was picked up by windows update and installed accordingly with all devices being picked up under device manager. I might end up eating my words, but I'm gonna leave the OS on for at least a week before shutting down before I start overclocking or anything like that.

USAFRet

Titan

I've had 8 and then upgraded to 8.1 running on my main PC 24/7 since it was released. I don't think I've a single bluescreen.

cyborgcity

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

I think it was because I went from windows7(expired version) to 8.1, which shouldn't of been a problem as microsofts states you can upgrade from 7 to 8.1.But I have also heard of a lot of people going from 8 to 8.1 and still having issues.

cyborgcity

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Ok so it's been almost a week and the OS has been running like a boss... No random crashes or BSOD's. I have had one or two freezes while dl'ing programs along with a few mild application errors but nothing substantial. I'm pretty safe to say the OS is not far from rock solid now, thank god. I would of hated to spend another 150 bucks on an OS.

Follow the same advice i gave unplanned bacon (hopefully you might listen and get results)

The OS is solid, its based off the same solid NT6 core seen in Vista and 7