Windows 8 on ARM Heading To Devs Soon, Claims Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Indeed it is. Why spend more money on both the hardware and OS to get something that for the ordinary user won't show any performance difference expect for shorter battery time on the more expensive hardware.

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I've been waiting for a long time to see RISC chips overtake the Intel x86 design. To this day I don't understand how x86 even became the standard.

I really think AMD should jump off the x86 bandwagon where they have been wholly outclassed (by money and resources, not by lack of ability) and hop onto the RISC train that is barreling through the computing industry. If they took what they learned making their x86 APUs and focused on RISC chips, they should easily be able to compete with nVidia and their Tegra platform. That is where the future of computing is, small devices with the graphical ability of today and battery life that can last all day. Once the OLED screen manufacturing starts getting ramped up, combined with an ARM chip, a laptop's battery life could skyrocket to 24 hours or more.

We are so close to another technology boom. With the plethora of companies developing competing ARM processors, the market is wide open, unlike x86, and we all know competition drives innovation.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Windows 8 has been slated as the most significant Microsoft operating system upgrade since the release of Windows 3.0. That's a bold statement, but not quite so far off the mark: Microsoft will have an OS running on not only x86-based solutions from Intel and AMD, but on chips based on ARM's architecture which is the most widely used chip design in the world.

you mean windows 95

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]This will be the begening of the end of the x86 age.[/citation]
I wish so but I also wish we get a new architecture with better performance and it should be open like SPARC

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]wydileie[/nom]I've been waiting for a long time to see RISC chips overtake the Intel x86 design. To this day I don't understand how x86 even became the standard. I really think AMD should jump off the x86 bandwagon where they have been wholly outclassed (by money and resources, not by lack of ability) and hop onto the RISC train that is barreling through the computing industry. If they took what they learned making their x86 APUs and focused on RISC chips, they should easily be able to compete with nVidia and their Tegra platform. That is where the future of computing is, small devices with the graphical ability of today and battery life that can last all day. Once the OLED screen manufacturing starts getting ramped up, combined with an ARM chip, a laptop's battery life could skyrocket to 24 hours or more. We are so close to another technology boom. With the plethora of companies developing competing ARM processors, the market is wide open, unlike x86, and we all know competition drives innovation.[/citation]
I wish so too, you know SPARC looks promising (64-bit, open, RISC, wide support), I wish it would be opened again by oracle and cheaper designs come out to reach consumers
I don't think ARM is good for demanding stuff, I just wish an open 64-bit, widely supported, high performaing architecture comes out soon

[citation][nom]wydileie[/nom]I've been waiting for a long time to see RISC chips overtake the Intel x86 design. To this day I don't understand how x86 even became the standard. I really think AMD should jump off the x86 bandwagon where they have been wholly outclassed (by money and resources, not by lack of ability) and hop onto the RISC train that is barreling through the computing industry. If they took what they learned making their x86 APUs and focused on RISC chips, they should easily be able to compete with nVidia and their Tegra platform. That is where the future of computing is, small devices with the graphical ability of today and battery life that can last all day. Once the OLED screen manufacturing starts getting ramped up, combined with an ARM chip, a laptop's battery life could skyrocket to 24 hours or more. We are so close to another technology boom. With the plethora of companies developing competing ARM processors, the market is wide open, unlike x86, and we all know competition drives innovation.[/citation]

well lets see apple used RISC for a long time and intel still outperformed them and then eventually apple had it with RISC and went to intel.

iif RISC ends up replacing x86 it is not because it is the better chip it is because no one cares about having the fastest and best performing tech anymore. all they care about is being able to play angry birds on a 7" screen :)

g4114rd0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
If  this is a time of transition, in order to prove something after the fact,
will be useful @ Unofficial Windows8 light 4 old ARM Powered device.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
How is arm going to overtake x86. They are two products designed for different uses. I don't think ARM is going to replace high end desktops and gaming rigs.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]Except that Ultrabook implies a powerful computing experience. Windows on ARM = joke.[/citation]

ARM isn't as weak as you think..
For the same amount of power a x86 CPU consumes, you can throw many more ARM CPU's into that wattage and gain more computing power.

Kal-El is a good example of this, it uses the same amount of power as Tegra 2 and is almost as fast as a Core 2 Duo (not faster) and consumes many times less the amount of power.

Now imagine combining up to the C2D's power limit with Kal-El CPU's...
The only problem so far with this is that there's little to no software, Windows 8 will slowly change that.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]ARM isn't as weak as you think..For the same amount of power a x86 CPU consumes, you can throw many more ARM CPU's into that wattage and gain more computing power.Kal-El is a good example of this, it uses the same amount of power as Tegra 2 and is almost as fast as a Core 2 Duo (not faster) and consumes many times less the amount of power.Now imagine combining up to the C2D's power limit with Kal-El CPU's...The only problem so far with this is that there's little to no software, Windows 8 will slowly change that.[/citation]
This. Also, while PC CPUs greatly outperformed PowerPC, this console generation used PowerPC-based CPUs because they are a better balance between power usage and performance. x64 CPUs had a harder time then to get that kind of performance with 75 Watts then. Also, PowerPC suits platforms that don't change base specifications for 4 or more years.

ok so its like the processor version of a hybrid car. it consumes less energy saving you money yet you take a big hit on performance. ARM is the Prius V of the computer world :lol:

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]well lets see apple used RISC for a long time and intel still outperformed them and then eventually apple had it with RISC and went to intel.[/citation]

Apple didn't abandon PowerPC because the architecture itself was bad. They abandoned PowerPC because IBM's chips weren't what they wanted/needed for their laptops.
This probably had a lot to do with economies of scale. Intel could invest a lot more into R&D because they sold 10fold more chips.
All current consoles are using powerPC architecture. They don't do that because it's bad architecture. Even Microsoft switched from x86 Intel to PowerPC in their console.

if you were trying to defend it then consoles are really a bad example. they use the most cost effective parts so they can keep the costs down and since power pc isn't that great i don't see IBM selling it for tons of cash. i do not see sony replacing the CPU's in there Laptop's with CELL's nor do i see MS making a version of windows for powerPC to use. and explain to me why if it was so great why apple decided it was not what they needed for a CPU since the fanbase sees them as the most successful company in the world.

consoles are built to do only one thing and that is to play games on a device that has a fixed (not flexible) hardware platform and powerPC can do that but when you get to a computer that is used for many things it just doesn't cut it :hello:

daveotlinux

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Now imagine combining up to the C2D's power limit with Kal-El CPU's...
The only problem so far with this is that there's little to no software, Windows 8 will slowly change that.

Wonder how many ARM cores would give a 150W power limit. Also, what mechanism multi. ARM cores use to access external memory?

No problems with software, all the software base of Linux is available on an ARM system. Just needs to be compiled for ARM. A benefit of having the source for programs.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Windows 8 supports no real software on ARM. All you can run is crappy wrapped up javascript/html5 web apps. Rather than give in to that crap, get a droid, or get a real x86 windows platform.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]tab54o[/nom]How is arm going to overtake x86. They are two products designed for different uses. I don't think ARM is going to replace high end desktops and gaming rigs.[/citation]

May be. But for the average users who just use their PC for web browsing and *** don't require overclocked 2500k ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.