Windows 8 Pro is Now Free (by Mistake)

Status
Not open for further replies.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
oh Microsoft, you couldn't even give your POS (piece of Software) away for free to me.

Coaster of the millenium, right up there with Diablo 3, may you both find love in heaven together somehow.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I used my three hotmail accounts, to snag three Microsoft Windows Media Center upgrade keys. However, a few hours on, nothing has been sent to any of my hotmail accounts!!

I wonder if Micro$haft have realised their mistake, and stoped sending out Media Center upgrade keys. :(

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I got my key ages ago for the media center upgrade. Maybe I finally have a reason to download the windows 8 ISO and install it into my jukebox (with a touch screen!) LMao

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]inerax[/nom]Windows 7 is still an amazing OS. Why even "upgrade" for free?[/citation]

Mostly because of the boot-times and the new focus on the latest software. Windows 8 will be pushed really hard now so....

Go with the flow? I for one like it :D

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]Mostly because of the boot-times and the new focus on the latest software. Windows 8 will be pushed really hard now so....Go with the flow? I for one like it[/citation]
the boot time is awesome even on HDD

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Everyone touting boot times... you know it never fully shuts down, right? Windows 8 hibernates instead, unless you manually disable "hybrid boot" in the power settings. Disable that, then compare boot times. They're hardly different.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I don't see the need to decrease my 9 second boot time off my SSD using windows 7, to have a frustrating obstacle like experience with Windows 8 to save maybe another second off that boot time. lol, I actually think Win 7 boots crazy fast, my coffee isn't even nearly ready.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Everyone touting boot times... you know it never fully shuts down, right? Windows 8 hibernates instead, unless you manually disable "hybrid boot" in the power settings. Disable that, then compare boot times. They're hardly different.

Not sure if true or just a ploy to make me buy an SSD

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
anyone else notice that Zak Islam, who normal only dose articles involving Apple is now doing articles about Windows 8?

That scares me on what windows 9 is going to be.

lp231

Splendid
Not sure if the Reddit user is legit or not because
1. If install from disc, there is no skip product key button. If product key is not typed in then Win8 will not continue
2. There is no grace period like the 30 days like on Win7. Once product key is typed in Win8 automatically activates
3. For the free promotion key on MS site, it's just for adding Media Center.
I bought Win8 and got that free MCE key from that site.
I copied Win8 from disc to USB and added a file so I can skip the product key.
When I applied the MCE key in "Add Windows Features", it doesn't work. It says it requires the original product key first. So I did that activate and then free MCE key works.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
LOL@ people commenting on boot times.. Really windows 8 would do nothing for me. What cut down 10 seconds on boot times once a week (if that).. Windows 8 isn't even worth updating to for free. I'll stick with 7 until probably windows 9/10. When it might actually be worth upgrading to.

HDmac

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Its free, yet I still don't want it. I don't know how much but Microsoft would have to pay me a considerable amount to use it.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Everyone touting boot times... you know it never fully shuts down, right? Windows 8 hibernates instead, unless you manually disable "hybrid boot" in the power settings. Disable that, then compare boot times. They're hardly different.[/citation]

The above info saddens me because I assume that the commenters on Tom's are tech savvy, but you are pointing out that they're a bunch of buffoons that don't even know that their machine is going into hibernation...

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]The above info saddens me because I assume that the commenters on Tom's are tech savvy, but you are pointing out that they're a bunch of buffoons that don't even know that their machine is going into hibernation...[/citation]It's not quite the same as Win7 hibernation. Hybrid Boot is better for most users than hibernation and typically just as good as a cold boot (but much faster especially on low end systems with mechanical drives).

There's almost no reason to disable hybrid boot, as a matter of fact. You can still do a complete reboot at any time if you need to. Although even cold boots are a tad faster.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Everyone touting boot times... you know it never fully shuts down, right? Windows 8 hibernates instead, unless you manually disable "hybrid boot" in the power settings. Disable that, then compare boot times. They're hardly different.[/citation]
There are still a few seconds between them. There's only so much you can cut boot time so I think they did a pretty decent job. What really matters is how much the boot time blows out over time because Win 7 is still highly susceptible to this. After a couple of years it had pretty much tripled for me. Hopefully that isn't the case for Win 8, but it probably will be.

Now if only they could cut my POST time as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.