Windows 8 Release Preview Dated For June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
The Release Preview is Windows 8's final chance at garnering some positive attention from the general public before it's retail. Let's hope it does well.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Everyone needs to understand that there is a f**k start button in Windows 8. It is just not the same but it provides the same functionalility.

confish21

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Everyone needs to understand that there is a f**k start button in Windows 8. It is just not the same but it provides the same functionalility.[/citation]

Most haters never even tried win8. And if they did they weren't willing to learn something new. If anything I hope they spend a min and learn how to use win 7...

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
[citation][nom]confish21[/nom]Most haters never even tried win8. And if they did they weren't willing to learn something new. If anything I hope they spend a min and learn how to use win 7...[/citation]
I tried Win8 and hated it. Microsoft took a touchscreen based mobile OS and dumped it onto personal computer... and it failed, IMO. Granted in a side-by-side comparison, Win8 actually loaded/ran games faster than Win7, the overall UI is painful to use.

I don't need buttons all over my desktop to access programs. If I wanted that, I would've created shortcut icons.

G

I cant get into this start menu thing, if it doesn't got Program Manager then i wont buy it.......

G

Microsoft is so out of touch with their consumer base. At first it seemed like some sort of joke, but the reality is all too true.

Just look at GFWL. They thought console standards would apply to PC. They were wrong. And yet, Windows has been the de facto OS for gaming since Win '95.

How could Microsoft ever lose to companies like Valve and EA with Steam and Origin?

The fact that GFWL failed so miserably is proof alone that they can't make decisions, or rather, that they are trying too hard. It is the same reason why Apple has the consumer appeal aesthetic down pat.

Microsoft really needs to split into two or even 3 separate companies. A company geared for general consumers, a company geared towards enthusiasts, and a company (what we know now) for business.

Why? Because a business company doesn't understand the average consumer, nor do they understand the enthusiast.

If we could get a version of Windows for general home use, a version of windows for high performance computing at home (geared towards gaming preferably because that is what will really win over the crowd), and a version of windows for businesses (profession, with enterprise not being listed when announced by still available as always) then they could probably really make a difference in those markets.

Right now they are trying to cram all of their audiences into one OS, when really we just need a couple exceedingly different versions for each group.

Of course that is all easier said than done, and Microsoft needs to hire the right people for the job too. However I think there is still potential for them to really untie themselves from the image they have earned lately.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I just can't see how it'll be successful with no start button and the forced Metro UI start page. Tweaks are already in the making to fix those issues but the last thing people used to Windows are going to want to do is find a bunch of registry hacks and software programs after installation to make it work for devices other than tablets.

I feel sorry for programmers who will have to decide whether to embrace this metro interface or continue to do things the old way, or god help them be locked into doing both.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I also tried Windows 8 and hated it. I even set a friends computer (temporarily) to gave him a chance to try it. He simply hated it, and he is what you might call an "average user"...

He is not a PC "geek" in any way... and he hated it.
He loves his "iphone" which I hate, but not even with his "iphone training" he couldn't find the programs.

Bottom line: PC's should be simple PC's and phones should be phones.
(I prefer my phones without the "i") the same way that Y rather take pictures with my DLSR camera than with a phone "pretending" to be a camera.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have been testing out Windows 8 ever since it went to the public preview and getting rid of the start menu is a huge mistake. Not being able to disable Metro is another big mistake as well. It's not about learning something new what some of you fail to understand is it's about learning something that isn't going to make your pc exp easier. Windows 95 was a huge step foward in making peoples user exp with the start menu easier. Taking away the start menu will just confuse a lot of people which isn't going to make the avg pc users exp any easier, In fact it will make it harder. So MS is actually going backwards in the pc user friendly exp by removing the start menu. Getting rid of the start menu isn't like getting rid of quick launch. Millions upon millions of pc users use it daily and getting rid of it will do nothing but confuse and upset people.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
At first I didnt like windows 8 but now that i spent a few months with it,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,,,,I like it better than win7. The reasons are solid. Task manager has much more info than ever, your network manager has more info than ever and both of which is displayed easy to read and understandable way without sacrificing or hiding info. Its easier on resources, faster on everything, and though I am not the biggest fan of tiles it actually makes it easier to get to my progz. I can have my shortcuts and my folders at the desktop for whatever I need and I can make tiles for whatever I want to use and is much more effecient than the way programs were arranger with the start button. It took getting a while to get used to not having a start button but once I got over it, I realised that it was just wasted step that slowed me down to getting to what I want.......but it does take too much work in my opinion to get to the option to turn your pc off. The hate I get is that most users dont like change and want everything to stay more or less the same but with better performance, almost like a patch for a game. I understand this but honestly the way windows was before is just a simply less effecient GUI. I still dont understand this hate for anything that makes them think of their cellphone, either they hate their phone (so why have it), or they are simply looking for a way to express their distaste for something unfamiliar which would involve them having to relearn how to interface with their pc........which is most likely why a fair amount of gamers tries to convince everyone how great XP was despite it being buggy, virus filled, less effecient and lacking support of new technologies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]Good luck selling them without a start menu. I won't buy it unless they fix it.[/citation]

windows 8, dx12 exclusive.

[citation][nom]confish21[/nom]Most haters never even tried win8. And if they did they weren't willing to learn something new. If anything I hope they spend a min and learn how to use win 7...[/citation]
i would rather use xp than win 7, but i got an ssd and 8gb of ram, xp64 wanst an option for me...
i already dont like much of the new functionality in win 8 and miss what they didnt bring over from xp.

I to have been using Windows 8 for a few months now, I hated it at first and although it has many good points that have already been mentioned I still don't like it Simply put it is clumsy on the desktop PC. I don't hate it now (after I put the start button back), but I would prefer to have Windows XP or Windows 7 in preference.

darkstar845

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I liked Windows 8 and the metro interface. But I don't know what is the benefit of removing the START menu, it's like removing one of the main feature and trademark of Windows. They should put an option where you can choose to put back the start menu and an option to turn off the metro interface.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Everyone needs to understand that there is a f**k start button in Windows 8. It is just not the same but it provides the same functionalility.[/citation]Pretty much. Now they've got a really good touch interface, but it also works for desktops. Just takes a bit of getting used to. You can arrange it however you like, it still lists all your software, you've got access to settings and so forth, and of course SEARCH functionality is as fast and simple as possible. Heck if you have a keyboard, search is your friend. Type and bam there's your program.

On desktops, Metro just replaces the start menu, and it works fine. The unified interface will make it much easier for end users to easily transition between various devices running Metro. All the whinging is almost as bad as listening to people transitioning to an OS with a GUI for the first time.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I even set a friends computer (temporarily) to gave him a chance to try it. He simply hated it, and he is what you might call an "average user"...He is not a PC "geek" in any way... and he hated it. He loves his "iphone" which I hate, but not even with his "iphone training" he couldn't find the programs.[/citation]Stop! My BS meter is redlining!

nekoangel

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
From my viewpoint with having to work with both OSX and Windows, it feels like Microsoft is trying to copy Apple in their push towards integration between mobile and desktop platforms, while trying to beat Apple at it. There are also a number of things being copied from ChromeOS.
To me this large change in the UI is likely to make many typical "users" unhappy along with the potential to scare many businesses away with the new unfamiliar interface that will result in downtime that doesnt have to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.