Windows 8 startup freeze

JayTheKiller

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Alright so i was on my pc and it freezes and screen goes blank. I was playin a game in fullscreen snd watchin a video when it happened. I alt tabbed back to the game and my screen went blank and froze. So i just held the power button to restart it, then the dell logo shows and loads then after that screen goes blank again. Its before login so i cant use my pc. I tried restartin a couple more times, but still no luck and some of the restarts goes to a blue/black vertical line screen. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Im not sure the exact pc i hav but i kno its a Dell inspiron all in one desktop with windows 8 and i7 intel core processor

Are you able to get into Setup by tapping F2 when the Dell Logo appears?

Progress of a sort. During the Boot menu the PC runs the Graphics in a basic VGA mode, and only employs the digital Driver once Windows starts up. Thus it would suggest either your Graphics Hardware is at fault or the Driver has been corrupted. In order to check out the Driver it needs to be re-installed, and this can only be done in Safe Mode, which again only uses VGA mode so it won't freeze. But, in order to get into Safe Mode, you'll need a Recovery Disk/ Drive or Installation Disk/Drive as it's nigh on impossible to boot Windows 8 into Safe Mode without one. Get a friend who has a Windows 8 PC to create one for you, either on a CD or small USB Pendrive. Just type 'Create' at the Start Screen and choose 'Create Recovery' (From Settings if it's W8) Get back into the Boot menu to get your PC to boot from the new boot device, and go to Troubleshoot then Advanced Options to get into Safe Mode. Meanwhile we'll need the full Model Number of your rig to find the Drivers, even better if you can find the Service Tag off the back/base somewhere.

Solution