Windows 8 Storage Spaces to Offer HDD Crash Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda confusing ATM of how this all works..... It sounds like raid 1 but you can use different size drives and it's set up by windows....

Hmmmm i'll have to look at it some more when it becomes available.

G

I have no need for this, Acronis does an awesome job for me now. My hard drive could get erased and I restore it in 15 min

tearsana

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I don't think it's exactly RAID since not everything will be mirrored.
most likely it only focuses on backup of the system.
A bit confusing since apparently you can use different sized drives...so maybe same sized pools? Kind of like a virtual drive spanning across 2+ drives?

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]I don't see the point of this.Don't most motherboard chipsets provide RAID 1 or even RAID 5 these days?[/citation]

Yes, but would your average user understand the first thing about implementing one of those controllers? I doubt it. This is a good basic solution for your average user, not a regular Tom's Hardware subscriber like you and me.

freddy782

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
[citation][nom]quixilver1[/nom]WOW! Now THAT'S what I call compression![/citation]
No, compression is those 32KB 1080p movies! Just got to download that legit_codec_pack.exe to reap the benefits.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Remember it's dumbed down for the "average" PC user.
We all here are more technical and you all seem to forget it.

It's not a replacement or alternative to RAID or anything, it's a simplified way to keep your data backed up in a re-storable state for your average PC owner.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Wow, Win8 keeps getting more and more awesome. If it weren't for the godforsaken mandatory UI. Please keep win7 as legacy interface! Please, Please. All the improvements scream power user happiness. But, I don't want to be forced into the metro box. That one design flaw will keep this os out of mass market.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
How come the 2GB 2-way mirror storage space only used 3GB? From what I understand, the total space of the hard drives are pooled, then you can split it into storage spaces... Since the drives on the screenshot are different (1TB + 640GB), you can't 2-way mirror 750GB since it exceeds the smaller HDD's capacity? It's pretty stupid to store the file on the same drive twice - which doesn't help if the drive crashed.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
As an example, the screens depict a 2-way Mirror setup with one drive setting 930 GB aside and a second drive setting aside 595 GB of space, totaling a Storage Space size of 2 GB.
While it's very unclear how the thing is supposed to work, it definitely doesn't involve absurd math like the one in the article. The screenshot clearly says this is the used space on the the volume, not the capacity.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Looks to me like it's Drive Extender from Windows Home Server, just tweaked a bit.[/citation]
That was exactly my first thought. That sounds like DE at heart, with a twitch of Greyhole in it for good measure (DE was limited to one copy, GH allows at least three).

I do wonder if they use the 1st-gen DE implementation or the 2nd-gen (only on VAIL betas) one: the VAIL implementation took an extra 20% hit compared to WHSv1, but it allowed for error/consistency checking in the pooled data.

As for how it works, it's rather simple: the maximum pool size (that is, how much data can be fitted into the "Storage Space") is the sum of the reserved HDD space (so, with a 3-copy Storage Space and 1GB reserved for each disk, it would show as 3GB total storage), actual usable space would be 1GB (or 800MB, if they're using the 2nd-gen implementation of the DE engine), and used space would be shown as 3 times the actual data put into it (so, a 50MB file would report as 150MB used).

This, however, seems to be an early implementation. Showing all available space made sense in WHSv1, since all drives were pooled together and you chose to duplicate them or not; but as Storage Spaces are in fact "mini" DE implementations with duplication always enabled, Microsoft might want to simplify how storage area is shown, so as not to cause confusion (as it seems to be causing right now).

Cheers.

Miguel

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]Yes, but would your average user understand the first thing about implementing one of those controllers? I doubt it. This is a good basic solution for your average user, not a regular Tom's Hardware subscriber like you and me.[/citation]

i need a raid 1, i have the computer skill to do it too, however, i dont have the time to screw around with it to figure out what needs to be done to get it to work.

lets say it this way, im pretty much a computer addict, and cant live without one at this point, i dont have the money to buy the drives to set this up out right, and whenever i get into a situation where i could set this up... i prioritize getting my computer up and running. to relate it to smokeing, how many people know its bad, try to quit and fail... thats my relation with storage device backups.

that said, when hdd prices come down and the 4tbs come out, im replaceing all 5 drives i have currently with 2 of them in a raid 1 if i can get that on a hardware level, and software raid if i cant, this will be something to look into at that time.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i need a raid 1, i have the computer skill to do it too, however, i dont have the time to screw around with it to figure out what needs to be done to get it to work.lets say it this way, im pretty much a computer addict, and cant live without one at this point, i dont have the money to buy the drives to set this up out right, and whenever i get into a situation where i could set this up... i prioritize getting my computer up and running. to relate it to smokeing, how many people know its bad, try to quit and fail... thats my relation with storage device backups.that said, when hdd prices come down and the 4tbs come out, im replaceing all 5 drives i have currently with 2 of them in a raid 1 if i can get that on a hardware level, and software raid if i cant, this will be something to look into at that time.[/citation]

When hard drive prices come down? You want something for nothing, don't you? You won't be seeing them much cheaper.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I'm sure the PC manufacturers will love this. When configuring a system, I'm sure they'll make a pretty big deal about this feature, which will probably net them a significant number of people adding in a second drive that they'd ordinarily not add.

Status
Not open for further replies.