Windows 8 to Get Time Machine-like History Vault

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Sounds good and a long time in the making. I know MS would rather be the "innovator" rather than the replicator, but it doesn't help anybody when they ignore great ideas and features in competing OSes just because they didn't think of it and get it implemented first.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Great, again a space waster on windows!
If they could keep the modifications safe, that would be a huge difference, eg: of a certain text file, only keep the data that was modified, and where it goes. Then compress that data.

I'm not too fond of having a WIndows 8, taking up 6GB of disk space, and an additional 14GB of data that can only expand, take CPU and HD cycles!

Man,are the good guys at MS gone, and now there are only gadget geeks doing the programming?

"Less is more" does not seem to count with MS.
They're only satisfied by bringing an OS that no system can run due to it's complexity, and stuff people really don't need!

I don't call this innovation, I call this degeneration!

G

To be fair to Microsoft, it will have to be very good and reliable before it replaces Acronis as my First Choice!

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
...Sorry, MS, but Windows 7 is the most resource-intensive OS that I ever plan on using. Don't get me wrong - It's been rock solid and everything that came with it I've used at one time or another - but now, you're just getting into the realm of bloatware and packing in extra junk just because you can. Don't do it.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]Great, again a space waster on windows!If they could keep the modifications safe, that would be a huge difference, eg: of a certain text file, only keep the data that was modified, and where it goes. Then compress that data.I'm not too fond of having a WIndows 8, taking up 6GB of disk space, and an additional 14GB of data that can only expand, take CPU and HD cycles!Man,are the good guys at MS gone, and now there are only gadget geeks doing the programming?"Less is more" does not seem to count with MS.They're only satisfied by bringing an OS that no system can run due to it's complexity, and stuff people really don't need!I don't call this innovation, I call this degeneration![/citation]

You are very worked up about a rumor about a piece of software that does not officially exist that is part of an operating system that is not on the market yet.

If you look at the source article you can see from the screenshot that:

Firstly, this is a security feature that you do not have to enable.
Secondly, if you do choose to enable it, it can save to separate disks and even to remote machines over a network. This means (if the screenshot is accurate) that you don't have to waste space on your own local hard drives.
Thirdly, stop being so concerned over hard drive space. These days, a high capacity hard drive can break below 10 cents per gigabyte. If it is too expensive for you to pay for a cheap backup drive at rates these days, you shouldn't be able to pay for a new operating system... or internet for that matter.

This is appears to be innovative, and could an intelligent way to utilize modern memory storage capacities in a way that is helpful to the user. And if it turns out to be crappy, use a magical ONOFF toggle that is available to all of Windows auxiliary services.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
With an 8-core computer with each core being the equivalent of a 12GHZ Pentium 4, 8GB+RAM and a fast SSD, you don't have to worry about a bloated O/S slowing you down.. Wait a few years until 16nm Intel chips come out and then get a new PC with uber specs 4 cheap.

Don't obsess over bloatware. Just crunch through it if you can't remove it.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
After the Vista disaster, Windows 7 makes up for it pretty good. But you still can't pry XP from my cold dead hands. If 8 can finally outperform XP then we'll see.....

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]After the Vista disaster, Windows 7 makes up for it pretty good. But you still can't pry XP from my cold dead hands. If 8 can finally outperform XP then we'll see.....[/citation]

I think you're just being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. I'd say a lot of people who still use xp do it so they can brag about how cool they are for still using it. The only reason to use XP is if you're a big company who can't afford the switch and/or still uses outdated business software.

DawnTreader777

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
they need to roll the restore function and windows backup into this, basically make one well designed system for continuous backup of the system and user files.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]I think you're just being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. I'd say a lot of people who still use xp do it so they can brag about how cool they are for still using it. The only reason to use XP is if you're a big company who can't afford the switch and/or still uses outdated business software.[/citation]

what about price? ~$150 for windows 7 is a lot for the average joe who only uses his PC to check his email, watch a few videos on youtube and shop online. Remember linux is free, faster, smaller and safer.

The release is just too close to windows 7 to draw a lot of folks to windows 8. From what I've seen there's not much that's being added to 8 that would pry me from ubuntu or 7, never mind at the regular MS price tag.

dimamu15

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
People are complaining... wtf? Price is the matter? I am 19, been using pc since 13, never bought a one damn licensed thing. Especially when it comes to OS. But complaining about how much new OS going to take in GB is dumb ridiculous. Hard drives are dirt cheap these days.
In my experience XP is most reliable and fastest. 7 and Vista didn't bring nothing I want except slick themes which I can still have on XP. Oh yes, in 7 I like windows cascade capability.

I like this rumored feature if really works that way. No more corrupt files I guess? Nothing bad to say about it.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]After the Vista disaster, Windows 7 makes up for it pretty good. But you still can't pry XP from my cold dead hands. If 8 can finally outperform XP then we'll see.....[/citation]

Nothing is going to "beat" Windows XP when you take modern hardware components and put them on a 10 year old OS. I'm not going to go into how an older operating system is naturally going to use fewer system resources because it'll just spark a flame war using Vista as a failure. Microsoft has a Intel style "tick tock" cycle. Major upgrade followed by a minor one where Vista was major and Windows 7 was minor and Windows 8 is supposed to be major. As far as disk space being an excuse. Wake up people. TeraByte drives are common place and extremely affordable, stop being stingy.

if i can turn it off then its fine with me. I want a streamlined system that doesnt constantly access my hard drive, need 4gb ram and 50gb of hard drive space just to run the damn OS. Microsoft, please stop making your OS's full of crap that no one uses.

verbalizer

Distinguished
I can't wait to see how the activation process can be hacked like in all the other OS's.
It's quite simple now via BIOS activation and with the SLIC soft mod but I'm sure MS is working on that/those..

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Keeping a backup of your date is a hugely important rule to almost all sorts of computing.

Seriously? I know that editing and proofreading went the way of the Dodo several years ago on this site, but the first sentence? I suppose at least it wasn't the headline.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Nothing is going to "beat" Windows XP when you take modern hardware components and put them on a 10 year old OS. I'm not going to go into how an older operating system is naturally going to use fewer system resources because it'll just spark a flame war using Vista as a failure. Microsoft has a Intel style "tick tock" cycle. Major upgrade followed by a minor one where Vista was major and Windows 7 was minor and Windows 8 is supposed to be major. As far as disk space being an excuse. Wake up people. TeraByte drives are common place and extremely affordable, stop being stingy.[/citation]

what did vista and 7 add to windows? ill admit that if you weren't someone who used windows sences 95, it probably somewhat better.

but seriously, windows vista was unusable, from a gaming standpoint without major tweaks. i mention gaming, because microsoft tried to get people to upgrade by making dx 10 ONLY work on vista at the time.

windows 7 softens the blow that vista had, but going from xp to it... yea... i hate 7. so much changed for no reason at all. i don't have a machine that i alone use 7, so i cant tweak it, but every time that i use my family machines, EVERY TIME i audibly say "F#$%ING 7". there has not been one time that i was using 7 and i didn't hit something i hate, or it did something stupid for the sake of "convenience"

i wont argue with people, as somehow, xp uses less resources and is more functional than vista or 7 for me (minus trim, and dx11) id is all around better than vista/7 falls o deaf ears.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]Great, again a space waster on windows!If they could keep the modifications safe, that would be a huge difference, eg: of a certain text file, only keep the data that was modified, and where it goes. Then compress that data.I'm not too fond of having a WIndows 8, taking up 6GB of disk space, and an additional 14GB of data that can only expand, take CPU and HD cycles!Man,are the good guys at MS gone, and now there are only gadget geeks doing the programming?"Less is more" does not seem to count with MS.They're only satisfied by bringing an OS that no system can run due to it's complexity, and stuff people really don't need!I don't call this innovation, I call this degeneration![/citation]

That is why you can disable it. But with hard drives getting so cheap these days, space isn't much of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.