Windows 8 to Make USB Portable Workspace

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]gracefully[/nom]I agree with MobileWorkSpace over there. I imagine it's like this: You plug the device before logging in, and another clickable user appears on the logon screen, which you can log on to and magically see your entire user profile there, down to the AppData folder. You probably won't boot from the portable drive, you'll merely store the user profile on it. And I imagine that at this point in time, 16GB is overprovisioned for testing purposes. Besides, 16GB flash disks are cheap, and 500GB portable HDDs aren't exactly expensive.[/citation]
i think you are wrong because it asks for windows dvd when you create it...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]Yes, useless stuff like video players, audio players, browsers and the like! But no anti-virus???? I wonder why? After taking two hours to "Fix" a friends laptop because he was stupid enough to click on a pop up window that offered a free anti-virus package I will stick with my useless Linux distribution and leave you to hours of jittery video and stalling programs because your computer is running a virus scan.[/citation]

Well #1 you have a stupid friend and #2 are you running a 386?
You can keep your useless linux ty :)

[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]If Microsoft wanted to rule the world, they would give the OS away for free. Subsidizing the cost through development tools, office and an assortment of other products that will sell on their new OS. Either that or bump the price up $10-20 on the OS and give the development/productivity tools away. Microsoft had better change soon or they will find themselves living in a Linux world. Their (M$) business model is flawed in the fact that they are making the development tools for their OS prohibitively expensive. What makes an OS great isn't the OS itself, but the tools/games that are produced for it.[/citation]

Yes but linux better change or it will find its self with only 1% of the market after 20 years... wait they do have 1% o well.. Actually some places i read they say .7%

Another person who does that retarded m$ crap. MS does rule the world where have you been. Who the hell works for free? Perhaps they should give some things away for development of their platform but give away an OS for free where does that get you? 1% of the market and no one gives a F. If a business model of make a product and sell it for money is flawed well i guess everyone has it all wrong. But unless this is a run from a USB "full" version of windows i could care less. 16 gig stick fine they are cheap enough thats not an issue but 16 gigs of a stupid diagnostic windows install is pointless. At least it would be an OS i could so something with.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]good job microsoft, copying from linux again...[/citation]

Why not put a great feature into your OS? With that mindset, only one company would make each of everything (mp3 players, phones, etc.) else they would be copying each other in some way. =)

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Linux funbois really need to give it a rest. Linux will never be mainstream..ever..moving on.[/citation]

While I'm not a fan of current linux. This is IMO false. Linux can be a lot of what it was set out to be. It could compete with windows but wont replace it. It could be a super gaming OS that everyone could use. its just not going to the way it is. It needs a standard that ALL distros HAVE TO FOLLOW. Linux needs to be uniform when it comes to the "end user" has to be click click install easy. has to just work with the programs not some obscure pos no one cares about that emulates something you can already do in windows with out the useless effort. THEN yes linux can be a major player in the end user market. But then all the linux people will complain about it and move on to the next crappy OS that no one is using and talk about how great it is.

But yes as it is now... its just a million different flavors of crap.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]If Microsoft wanted to rule the world, they would give the OS away for free. Subsidizing the cost through development tools, office and an assortment of other products that will sell on their new OS. Either that or bump the price up $10-20 on the OS and give the development/productivity tools away. Microsoft had better change soon or they will find themselves living in a Linux world. Their (M$) business model is flawed in the fact that they are making the development tools for their OS prohibitively expensive. What makes an OS great isn't the OS itself, but the tools/games that are produced for it.[/citation]

hahahahahahahahahaha lolololololol0l0l0l0llolol0l0lol!

The only one who has it wrong here is you mr.i love to type in commands for everything i do. Linux sucks, theres a reason why its got such a small % of users.

It seems this interesting news tidbit ends up raising more questions than it answers.

The requirement for Enterprise Edition installation files likely means any practical usage for a typical consumer or enthusiast doesn't seem to be in the cards.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Horhe[/nom]I agree that 16 GB is way too much. There are fully functional Linux distros that can fit on a CD. While reading the title, for a moment I thought that Windows will return to the pre-Vista size. Even to this day I can't understand what and why Windows Vista / 7 features take up so much space compared to Windows XP.[/citation]

Poorer programming practices.

When windows XP was out, CPU's were slow and hard drives were insanely slow. but since hard drives today are faster, they feel that they don't need to focus on getting files to be as small as possible to keep loading times down.

Thats why windows 7 and vista generally feel slower, you click on a menu or open something that is built into the OS and it opens slower because more data has to be read from the hard drive in order to access the same function.

the same thing happens to the UI, since screens have gotten bigger, the designers feel that they don't need to conserve screenspace so you have a new UI that uses nearly 4 times as much vertical screen space (in some cases) as the classic UI, while providing no additional info compared to the classic UI.

If microsoft wanted, they can easily apply the glass effects and other eye candy effects to the windows classic UI, but it wouldn't look different enough to the user basic users who only notice the looks of a OS and nothing else.

Compare the performance of ubuntu to that of windows 7, is many times more responsive, while it wont run your favorite programs, form a standpoint of only looking at the OS, ubuntu is much more responsive, when things are clicked on, things come up instantly, unline windows 7 where there will be a second or 2 of reading from the hard drive, then a 1/4th second delay for the slide or fade animation to finish before you can interact when what you clicked on

While fade or slide effects can be eye candy, they are only useful in cases of keeping the user entertained while something loads, eg certain videogame loading screens may have a small mini game or allow you to control your character

but ideally a user would prefer to just have the content they requested, come up instantly rather than having to engage in any form of waiting.
Eye candy is only cool or interesting the first few times, after that it is just annoying. Imagine if instead of a fade effect for a menu to appear, the OS instead played your "favorite movie" you like the movie but would you like to watch it every time you open a menu?

random visual effects only serve to add delays to things that would otherwise do better without the delay.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'm still looking forward to the days when we can have a Virtual Desktop Environment that will let users "check out" their VMs to their laptops, flash drives, etc, then when they return to the office or VPN, will "check in" or sync the Virtual Machine.

I hope this is something like that...if it is, that could be a real plus.

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I like how you guys describe how it will work by using terms like "i imagine".
At this point, what we know is the name of the potential feature and we have heard reports previously that Windows 8 will possibly be "modular"... so, "i'd imagine" that if MS doesn't screw things up, they'll have a scalable OS that can adapt to many form factors... which would be the most intelligent thing they could do to battle so many different markets and emerging electronics markets

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fuzzyplankton[/nom]16GB??? Ubuntu runs on a 1GB stick... Fail.[/citation]
who runs that crap....windows for life, especially if you are a gamer

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]They need to change it so you can run programs from a USB drive.[/citation]
it would to slow to run programs from a thumb drive

presto84

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Is this Enterprise Edition requirement being over analysed a little? From what I can gather, all development builds of Windows 8 will be based on the Enterprise Edition of Windows 7. This means Windows 8 Enterprise Edition is what the builds are. Therefore, the message could refer to any edition of Windows that is the host system that is installing the live USB key.

Perhaps. Maybe not.

[citation][nom]futtla[/nom]16gb?thats WAY TOOO BIG.it will run and boot up reaaaaaaallly reaaally slow.and there is no way that u can copy it into the ram....at the time when windows 8 will be released.[/citation]

Few things:

1. (they way you make it sound like) If it was booting windows 8 fully, it still wouldn't uses all that 16GB in 1 go. If all OS's loaded everything they had in one go, even fast ssd's would take 5+ mins to boot.

Now if windows 7 is any indication, the ISO only going to be like 3 to 6 GB (windows 7 home premium 64bit ISO is only 3.1GB). I bet (as others have said) the large space requirement is more for other stuff to go on there like programs that a company need to run on computers than the OS it's self.

2. An OS wont run slow if you got the right flash drive for the job. ;) I've ran Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit off my 16GB Patriot Xporter XT Boost (fully installed on there. not using the Pen Drive Linux stuff) and it ran just fine as the flash drive at top speed is at least 30MB/s (sometimes more) and a access time of 1 to 1.5ms. Only time i ever had lag was when im trying to open many things at once. Although that was far and few in between.

Thats just USB 2.0... Imagine a USB 3.0 flash drive that can be more than 2x faster than my flash drive for cheap (there a 16GB flash drive from A-data that 68MB/s for just $30 on newegg) or for go more expensive usb 3.0 flash drive that can match (or pass) the speed of todays HDD.

[citation][nom]WR2[/nom]It seems this interesting news tidbit ends up raising more questions than it answers. The requirement for Enterprise Edition installation files likely means any practical usage for a typical consumer or enthusiast doesn't seem to be in the cards.[/citation]

well just have to wait and see. :)

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Well #1 you have a stupid friend and #2 are you running a 386?You can keep your useless linux ty Yes but linux better change or it will find its self with only 1% of the market after 20 years... wait they do have 1% o well.. Actually some places i read they say .7%Another person who does that retarded m$ crap. MS does rule the world where have you been. Who the hell works for free? Perhaps they should give some things away for development of their platform but give away an OS for free where does that get you? 1% of the market and no one gives a F. If a business model of make a product and sell it for money is flawed well i guess everyone has it all wrong. But unless this is a run from a USB "full" version of windows i could care less. 16 gig stick fine they are cheap enough thats not an issue but 16 gigs of a stupid diagnostic windows install is pointless. At least it would be an OS i could so something with.[/citation]
Nope I'm running a Snapdragon and doing something you can only dream about, I'm using the same tab on the same browser on my mobile phone as I do on my Pc. They are fully synced and work without a virus checker. Now please let me know how this is 386 technology?

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Yeah it's flawed all right. 90% of the computers on the planet run Windows.[/citation]
Really? Where did you get those figures from? What inyour opinion is a computer? Do you consider a Cray or Deep Blue a computer? Do you consider a web server a computer ? Do you consider a machine that can compute a computer? if so your figure is wrong, and not by a small margin.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]Really? Where did you get those figures from? What inyour opinion is a computer? Do you consider a Cray or Deep Blue a computer? Do you consider a web server a computer ? Do you consider a machine that can compute a computer? if so your figure is wrong, and not by a small margin.[/citation]

Thought it was obvious he was talking about personal computers, in which case he is pretty darn close windows has a 85-90% market share when we talk about personal computers.

10 seconds of google searching:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/011311-windows-on-verge-of-dropping.html

Also from Wiki :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

The way they got this info was taken by recording what OS a web browser reports the user is using.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Yay! More bloatware on harddrives!
Where was the time you actually knew what was on your harddrive?
Nowadays Recycler and system volume information is not enough to have!
Plug your harddrive in anything else than Linux, and you'll see a good 4 folders and files pop up there, without being really beneficial, some folders even taking up quite some space!

Sorry to point it out but your wrong. All of the stats show Windows in all of its flavors to have 86-91% of the market share including all super computers and servers. Here is one reference but there are many more places that estimate OS stats and they are all very close to this if you care to research.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]Sorry to point it out but your wrong. All of the stats show Windows in all of its flavors to have 86-91% of the market share including all super computers and servers. Here is one reference but there are many more places that estimate OS stats and they are all very close to this if you care to research.http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-m [...] px?qprid=9[/citation]

What utter nonsense, Windows has a very poor presence in the Supercomputer matket, less than a 50% share of the server market and less than a 10% share of the mobile market. At the moment Windows is in a decline, fact, and unless they address their problems this will continue. The shrinking Desktop market is their last bastion, and if they rest on their tarnished laurels there they will lose that to to Chrome OS or WebOS. According to you I am not posting this response from a computer, ludite thinking to say the least.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]Thought it was obvious he was talking about personal computers, in which case he is pretty darn close windows has a 85-90% market share when we talk about personal computers. 10 seconds of google searching: Also from Wiki : The way they got this info was taken by recording what OS a web browser reports the user is using.[/citation]

I didn't make any assumptions, that tends to make you look like one, he stated computers and I took him at his word, if he wants to look like a Luddite that is his choice, but I will not join him or you in constraining the word to mean something restrictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS